Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #4360 on: August 29, 2019, 10:20:01 PM »
But all he has to do is wait a week and some new nonsense will drown this out.

No, that's how it would work for conspiracist infotainers like Hannity and Carlson. Lies and wild speculation are expected from the pro-Trump camp. The rules are (rightfully) different for proper journalists, and this incident will be undoubtedly invoked many times by conservatives and Trump supporters for months, if not years, to come. Not merely to bash O'Donnell, who deserves the damage to his career for his irresponsibility, but to shout down liberals, the media, and anyone criticizing Trump in general.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: August 30, 2019, 12:46:49 AM »
Honestly he should lose his job. Firing him is the only way I can see MSNBC being able to even try to claim credibility after this incident.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: August 30, 2019, 01:53:48 AM »
Also why do people still think there has to be a smoking gun explaining why he seems to love Putin so much? Idolizing tyrants has been a consistent part of his character at least since he took office.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: August 30, 2019, 04:08:21 AM »
Honestly he should lose his job. Firing him is the only way I can see MSNBC being able to even try to claim credibility after this incident.

Devil's advocate. He did say the story was weakly sourced. Not quite the same thing as made up. There could still be a lot of truth to it. But still, massively unprofessional.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: August 30, 2019, 06:58:56 AM »

Devil's advocate. He did say the story was weakly sourced. Not quite the same thing as made up. There could still be a lot of truth to it. But still, massively unprofessional.

Maybe I was a little harsh in my judgment.

Maybe not.

Some time ago Rachel Maddow came out on her show and said that someone approached her show with a bogus news story that was damaging to Trump, and her research team decided it wasn't worth pursuing. The gist was that her show wasn't going to just run with any anti-Trump story it came across; there had to be some reason to trust the validity of the story in order for them to take it seriously.

It's too bad her buddy Lawrence couldn't show the same restraint, because whether that's literally what's happened here or not, it certainly looks like that's what happened here. He should have realized that himself, just based on that careful way he framed the story that you referenced. But his hatred for Trump blinded him to the fact that this would not end up looking good for his show or for MSNBC.

I firmly believe that the media should be highlighting every single flaw in this administration, and I have no problem with a pundit being biased against Trump since any sane person should be. When the New York  Times or the Washington Post reports a story, you can generally trust that it has been thoroughly vetted, because journalistic integrity means something to them and it's not something they're willing to sacrifice for shock value.

Now we see that that is not the case with at least one of MSNBC's prime-time commentators. If MSNBC wants to be treated like it has integrity how can they possibly keep him on their payroll?

I guess it comes down to, is MSNBC truly the liberal mirror image of Fox, as it often seems to be, or do they still care about making sure they're reporting the truth, as they generally still seem to?

I might be making more of this than I should, but I feel like this is a disaster for MSNBC and they need to do something drastic to put out the fire O'donnell started. Firing him seems like the most sensible option.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: August 30, 2019, 03:58:30 PM »
https://beta.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/08/30/neil-cavuto-fox-news-trump-work-you/?outputType=amp

It's funny. You have a sizable group of commentators who make it their job to spin everything Trump does in a positive light while simultaneously vilifying his opponents, and somehow Trump thinks your network works for him, I mean how could he ever get that idea, the gall.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: August 30, 2019, 05:30:55 PM »
Just goes to show you: Trump turns on anyone at a moment's notice.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: August 30, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
Also:
President Trump Tweets Sensitive Surveillance Image of Iran https://n.pr/2LnEm6q

the president said in a tweet that accompanied the image on Friday. "I wish Iran best wishes and good luck in determining what happened at Site One."
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

totallackey

« Reply #4368 on: September 03, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
Also:
President Trump Tweets Sensitive Surveillance Image of Iran https://n.pr/2LnEm6q

the president said in a tweet that accompanied the image on Friday. "I wish Iran best wishes and good luck in determining what happened at Site One."
Why is the image sensitive?

Did it violate Twitter TOS?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: September 03, 2019, 04:08:05 PM »
Also:

Because it was classified.

totallackey

« Reply #4370 on: September 04, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Also:

Who ultimately determines whether anything is classified in the US?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: September 04, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Also:

Alot of people.
And notice I said 'was' because Trump can declassify as he see's fit.  However, he basically gave the world a lot of useful information about one of our spy satelites.

Amatures have already determined which satelite took the picture and when.  It also shows the capabilities of such a satelite, which no one but the pentagon had known before.  So basically, he just tweeted alot of information to the world about our spy satelite capabilities and location.

totallackey

« Reply #4372 on: September 04, 2019, 03:24:45 PM »
[/quote]
Alot of people.[/quote]
No, only one person ultimately determines if anything is classified.
And notice I said 'was' because Trump can declassify as he see's fit.  However, he basically gave the world a lot of useful information about one of our spy satelites.
Such as?
Amatures have already determined which satelite took the picture and when.  It also shows the capabilities of such a satelite, which no one but the pentagon had known before.  So basically, he just tweeted alot of information to the world about our spy satelite capabilities and location.
Yeah, that must have been earth shattering stuff...spying and all...as if nobody ever had a clue...

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: September 04, 2019, 03:36:55 PM »
Yes, Trump officially has the power to declassify anything he wants. If you think that a random, spontaneous shitpost on Twitter is an appropriate use of that power, well, then we really have nothing to discuss. I just know that if Obama had done anything like this, impeachment proceedings would have begun the very next day.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: September 04, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
Alot of people.
Everything to be classified does not go across the president's desk for approval.

Such as?
Yeah, that must have been earth shattering stuff...spying and all...as if nobody ever had a clue...

The Iranians (and the world) now know exactly where a US spy satelite is at all times.  They know what it can do.  And, given time, how it does it.  So it will be much easier to hide activity from it.

Its why you don't tweet "our spy in Russia's finance ministry is doing a good job".  Spying is all about your enemy not knowing you're getting information, let alone how.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: September 04, 2019, 04:51:21 PM »
Yes, Trump officially has the power to declassify anything he wants. If you think that a random, spontaneous shitpost on Twitter is an appropriate use of that power, well, then we really have nothing to discuss. I just know that if Obama had done anything like this, impeachment proceedings would have begun the very next day.

And Trump would have been one of his most vocal critics.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: September 05, 2019, 02:20:36 AM »
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-displays-hurricane-map-doctored-to-support-his-tweet-that-dorian-threatened-alabama-it-did-not-2019-09-04

I've been mostly avoiding talking about this story because it kind of started seeming like just another one of those "ha ha Trump, what a lying moronic douchebag" stories, but it has somehow morphed into one of his most psychotic episodes as president yet. If the story is accurate this looks like a meltdown.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: September 05, 2019, 03:58:09 AM »
This reminds me of his "My innaguration was bigger than Obama's" meltdown.

So basically he saw an old ass projection, didn't bother getting an update, and tweeted that info instead.
I mean, if he just went (oops, Alabama was not in the list.  Sorry) the story would have died and only a few jackasses would have cared.  But nope!  Trump needed to be correct.

totallackey

« Reply #4378 on: September 05, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »
No, impeachment proceedings wouldn't begin because it is not an impeachable offense.

totallackey

« Reply #4379 on: September 05, 2019, 10:37:21 AM »
Alot of people.
Everything to be classified does not go across the president's desk for approval.
I am sure it crosses a lot of desks, but again...

ULTIMATELY.
Such as?

The Iranians (and the world) now know exactly where a US spy satelite is at all times.  They know what it can do.  And, given time, how it does it.  So it will be much easier to hide activity from it.
You would think that, but it isn't just because you think it is.
Its why you don't tweet "our spy in Russia's finance ministry is doing a good job".  Spying is all about your enemy not knowing you're getting information, let alone how.
The whole "spook," crapola is what gets us into the most trouble...

Trump is doing a great job at migrating us away from all that BS...

Last thing anyone needs is more mythical WMD's.