Offline Cae_TP

• View Profile
Why does it matter?
« on: August 05, 2018, 10:36:55 PM »
If the Earth was flat, why would that matter? What would that change? If tomorrow, the government comes out and says that the Earth is flat, we lied.

Now what? What would change? Why would it matter?

I'm just questioning, not here to debate or get your theories on me.  :) 

Offline edby

• View Profile
Re: Why does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
If the Earth was flat, why would that matter? What would that change? If tomorrow, the government comes out and says that the Earth is flat, we lied.

It would meant that over two thousand years of theorizing by the scientific community was wrong. Does that matter? Yes, it would show how the scientific method hasn't worked, thus casting doubt over pretty much every other result of the scientific method. It would cause the collapse of scientific academies, question the validity of all scientific textbooks etc.

pj1

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Also NASA would have an extremely red face!

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »

how on earth would it not matter???  you dont think that if the governments (all of them) were caught lying about such a fundamental thing as the shape of the earth wouldnt be catastrophic??!  i would argue it could lead to a world wide meltdown
Quote from: SiDawg
Planes fall out of the sky all the time

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »
The governments aren't lying about the shape of the earth. They genuinely believe it is round. Do not attribute to malice that which is easily explained by stupidity.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:12:01 PM »
In terms of our daily lives, not much would change. There would likely be a political upheaval, but it wouldn't be the first nor last. After all is said and done, we'd work, eat, sleep and shit all the same.

We're not here to enact any extreme societal changes. Truth is a worthwhile pursuit for its own sake.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:37:32 AM »
Truth is a worthwhile pursuit for its own sake.

Concur.
Considering the opening post’s question, it’s perhaps worth mention that the ancient Church Father Basil of Caesarea who did believe in a flat earth and wrote a book about the six day creation of the world also wrote therein that ascertaining the true shape of the earth does not matter in deciding one’s ultimate eternal destiny.