flat earth hypothesis
« on: September 24, 2017, 03:25:34 AM »
i have heard allot about perspective. when a ship sails far enough away from a person viewing it, the ship appear to sink under the water or the ship is hidden around the curve of the earth.

here is my question. If we tie a rope between two ships and one heads west and one heads east at what point(s) would the rope become submerged due to the curvature of the earth?

Re: flat earth hypothesis
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »
i have heard allot about perspective. when a ship sails far enough away from a person viewing it, the ship appear to sink under the water or the ship is hidden around the curve of the earth.

here is my question. If we tie a rope between two ships and one heads west and one heads east at what point(s) would the rope become submerged due to the curvature of the earth?
Nothing to do with perspective, check the definition.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:09:48 AM »
I understand what perspective is. Could this answer the ocean curving or not

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 02:22:23 AM »
I understand what perspective is. Could this answer the ocean curving or not
You would want to use a laser. You can't hold a rope completely level over a distance. It will always sag down in the middle. But yes, a beam of light would eventuall be blocked by the curvature of the Earth.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »
I'd think that even if the rope had buoys and pulled tight the buouys would be drug under water and could be measured against the curvature formula.. a laser seems to difficult to match up and with the swell and waves impossible

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:42 PM »

In theory - with a weightless, non-stretchy rope (so it wouldn't sag in the middle) - you could indeed put two ships a dozen miles apart - pull the rope tight between them - and it would dip under the curved surface of the RE ocean - despite being perfectly straight.

In flat-earth, the rope wouldn't touch the ocean.

However, this would be an exceedingly difficult experiment to do in practice.

The idea of using a laser is kinda ok...but not really any different than just standing on one boat - looking over the horizon at the other.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?