Thork

Deleted posts
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
Erm, some of my posts have been deleted. Specifically I twice posted that I thought Excelsior John's week long ban was a little excessive.

Both times this was removed? Why was this?

I didn't want to make an S&C thread about his ban, I just wanted to say "A week is a bit much for a first offence".

But both times my criticism of the moderation was deleted. Not moved. Deleted.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Deleted posts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »
The posts were moved into a non-public forum. I didn't want the thread to be derailed into a discussion of EJ's ban, and you didn't have enough content for me to move it to S&C, so into Quarantine they went.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:09:13 PM »
The posts were moved into a non-public forum. I didn't want the thread to be derailed into a discussion of EJ's ban, and you didn't have enough content for me to move it to S&C, so into Quarantine they went.
why not CN?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »
why not CN?

Do I need a reason to not do something? You could as well ask why I didn't move them into Flat Earth Information Repository.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »
I'm just asking.

On the old site, nothing was ever deleted. This is different. We haven't got a set of mod rules yet. Are you going to be deleting posts you don't like on a regular basis?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
On the old site, nothing was ever deleted. this is different. we haven't got a set of rules. Are you going to be deleting posts you don't like on a regular basis?

This had nothing to do with me not liking your posts. I don't particularly like the post I'm replying to now, but since it's appropriate for the thread, I'm replying to it rather than deleting it.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:13:36 PM »
On the old site, nothing was ever deleted. this is different. we haven't got a set of rules. Are you going to be deleting posts you don't like on a regular basis?

This had nothing to do with me not liking your posts. I don't particularly like the post I'm replying to now, but since it's appropriate for the thread, I'm replying to it rather than deleting it.
Yes, that's my preference. Glad we cleared that up.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
Just for clarity: quite a few posts were moved to the Quarantine on the old site. This practice will continue here.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »
Just for clarity: quite a few posts were moved to the Quarantine on the old site. This practice will continue here.
Mmmmwelll those that were moved were usually obscene or graphic. They weren't usually someone saying "I think that was a bit of a harsh ban". Usually a mod would respond to that with either a "he broke rule such and such and has a 2x multiplyer for previous etc) or they'd say, "noted - take it to S&C if its a problem.

They wouldn't hide it so other users couldn't read it and have a passing opinion on the matter. I just found that a strange course of action.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 10:24:36 PM »
Mmmmwelll those that were moved were usually obscene or graphic. They weren't usually someone saying "I think that was a bit of a harsh ban". Usually a mod would respond to that with either a "he broke rule such and such and has a 2x multiplyer for previous etc) or they'd say, "noted - take it to S&C if its a problem.
As someone whose posts were very frequently moved, I have to say "No, that's not what happened". Needless to say, your concern has been noted.

They wouldn't hide it so other users couldn't read it and have a passing opinion on the matter. I just found that a strange course of action.
You voiced your opinion in the appropriate forum now, and it's not being deleted nor restricted. Sounds like this problem is resolved.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 10:27:31 PM »
Also, I have restored your and Franklin's notes to the Lounge: http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=880.0

Thork

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
You may close this thread.

That's perfect. Thank you.  :)

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 10:34:50 PM »

I agree, and I apologise for taking the action I did. I've been pretty stressed out the past week by the fact that I'm suddenly running this place and people are depending on me to make the hosting side of things work and haven't had much sleep as a result. I hope you can bear with me if I've seemed short or irritable.

Hopefully things will stabilise soon. We should have some better-defined rules in the next day or two.