Saddam Hussein

Re: Foreign Language
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »
Russia will soon invade the United States.  High schools will be priority targets.

Thork

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:17 AM »
Russia will soon invade the United States.  High schools will be priority targets.
America don't know how to attack a school. They only have weapons that destroy oil wells.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
America don't know how to attack a school. They only have weapons that destroy oil wells.
Also the weather patterns on the moon.
God is real.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »

Irrelevant, seeing how Russia is the one doing the attacking.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:54 PM »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »
Yeah, that was close. For a moment there I thought Rushy might be really dumb.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
For whatever its worth, IRUSH, I took Spanish in public high school, and lived in a town half Mexican in population, and then went to Guadalajara and studied during my summers of college, and studied more Spanish during my college academic years. I lived in Costa Rica for two and a half years also.

I speak Spanish as well as I do English. I am grateful for having learned the language. I studied Latin for two years in college as well, and lost most of that, and I'm trying to get that back now.

My knowledge of Hebrew is poor, just enough to get me through the Prayer Book without looking like a total schmuck in services. I can't read the alphabet, though.

I think you are right that Spanish or Mandarin Chinese are your best bets. Certainly Spanish is going to be hella easier. Latin is a good choice if you wish to have an appreciation for our cultural patrimony, and if you wish to understand the grammatical base of European languages generally. And of course, if you get Latin, learning Spanish (at the same time or later in life) will be simple.

So, that is where I would rate things. Overall, if I were you, and I had to make a choice based on a purely utilitarian grounds, and had a gun pointed at my head, I would pick Spanish. I think that would be the best option if the above situation obtained.

Thork

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
Except that Esperanto only has 2,000,000 speakers, and doesn't look to be getting any more soon. It really serves very little purpose in the overall scheme of things.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
It is highly useful and (especially in Europe) we need to push for its use.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 11:27:03 PM »
I'm probably just going to take another Spanish class. Its easier to find people to (attempt) to converse with, especially in Arizona.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:34 AM »
In the United States, aside from George Soros, who is a native speaker of Esperanto, you can probably count the number of speakers of the language on your fingers and your toes.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 02:55:20 AM »
In the United States, aside from George Soros, who is a native speaker of Esperanto, you can probably count the number of speakers of the language on your fingers and your toes.

Well damn, can I cash in on the rare speaker I've known?

Thork

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
In the United States, aside from George Soros, who is a native speaker of Esperanto
There are no native speakers of Esperanto.

Eddy Baby

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
You guys are silly, languages are an end in themselves, learn whatever you want.

And Thork, yes there are.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
George Soros was brought up speaking Esperanto as a native tongue, along with his native Magyar and English. That makes him a native speaker. Just because its an artificial language doesn't mean you can learn to speak it from birth.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2014, 08:46:12 PM »

Thork

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2014, 11:24:29 PM »
na•tive (nāˈtĭv)
 ► 

adj. Being such by birth or origin: a native Scot.
adj. Being one's own because of the place or circumstances of one's birth: our native land.

No one is born in Esperantoland. It isn't the official language of any country. As no one is native to Esperantoland because it doesn't exist, you can't speak the language like a native. Obviously.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 11:29:01 PM »
na•tive (nāˈtĭv)
 ► 

adj. Being such by birth or origin: a native Scot.
adj. Being one's own because of the place or circumstances of one's birth: our native land.

No one is born in Esperantoland. It isn't the official language of any country. As no one is native to Esperantoland because it doesn't exist, you can't speak the language like a native. Obviously.

That isn't what it means to be a native speaker. A person born in the U.S. can be a native speaker of Spanish.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
If you are born to a family that speaks Esperanto, and Esperanto was your first language... you are a native speaker of Esperanto. Or is there something I'm missing?