Re: I'm a RE'r and have some questions!
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 11:50:22 PM »
But when the bible says, over and over and over something to the effect of "The earth does not move" or  "the earth can't move"
I offer an alternate interpretation to be that no major calamity will happen between the inception of man extending to the return of Jesus and possibly beyond. No asteroids, no giant solar flares, no Noah’s ark scale super floods, etc. will happen in the meantime.

Now after reading a half dozen times that the earth does not move in the bible and reading this verse about how the sun stopped moving then it becomes more lopsided.

In my perspective, you can’t console the bible for reliable information about physical reality. My assumption is that information was not put in the bible explicitly for that purpose. Rather, that information has a spiritual context or meaning. Possible interpretation above.

I am a more black and white person which may skew my view on this, but I believe it's important to be consistent with a certain view point. If there is a discrepency with your views meaning your views conflict, then your views must change or the discrepency must have another explanation in order to allow the acception. When you say that the bible is antiquated and requires modern logic  to interpret, I don't see the argument against what I've said in this post as not being modern logic, as after all, it is modern thinking that the earth is round.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2020, 12:03:37 AM »
But when the bible says, over and over and over something to the effect of "The earth does not move" or  "the earth can't move"
I offer an alternate interpretation to be that no major calamity will happen between the inception of man extending to the return of Jesus and possibly beyond. No asteroids, no giant solar flares, no Noah’s ark scale super floods, etc. will happen in the meantime.

I disagree. If you interpret the flood as literal and not poetic or a metaphor then millions of people died. If you use conservative population estimates like the one shown below then 10s of millions of people were brutally murdered by God. Including infant children. Unless you worship a God who should be charged with 10,000 + counts of murdering infants and children you should really consider these verses as a parable or poetic not as fact.

At least 75 million people died in ww2. In terms of body count that rivals the people who would have died in the very specific infant murdering interpretation of the biblical great flood event.
Now after reading a half dozen times that the earth does not move in the bible and reading this verse about how the sun stopped moving then it becomes more lopsided.

In my perspective, you can’t console the bible for reliable information about physical reality. My assumption is that information was not put in the bible explicitly for that purpose. Rather, that information has a spiritual context or meaning. Possible interpretation above.

I agree. Yet for some of the more outlandish verse or verses outright defying everything that you have learned about physical reality and the mathematical and physical LAWS of how our universe operates 100% of the time you appear to be believing that they really happened vs they are a parable. If you want to learn the history of society read a history book not the bible. If you want to learn the ancient history of the earth study geology or paleontology not the bible. If you want to learn the history of the universe study astrophysics or astronomy not the bible. If you want to learn how to try to be a good person and go to heaven then read the bible and temper it with modern logic and reason.

If there is a discrepency with your views meaning your views conflict, then your views must change or the discrepency must have another explanation in order to allow the acception.

Unfortunately, in this decorum, anyone can claim that something that does not support their specific flat earth model is incorrect, wrong, or a lie.

When you say that the bible is antiquated and requires modern logic  to interpret, I don't see the argument against what I've said in this post as not being modern logic, as after all, it is modern thinking that the earth is round.

This is why i'm not a big fan of the biblical FE models and I think they are a testament of how blind faith, without being tempered by modern logic, rational though, and reason, is harmful.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 12:06:53 AM by iamcpc »

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 02:44:47 AM »
I'm more reffering to mass extinction events, like the flood, and I'll modify what I said to, that sort of event wont happen from the flood and on, rather than from the beginning of man. I don't see the evidence for the flood though. Why are there not kangaroos everywhere else except Australia? I'm not saying one way or the other since I'm not well read in that subject, just throwing sticks at it.

What you've said is similar so the things I would say, which is why I'm confused why you're a flat earther. Is the evidence really that insurmountable to you?

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »
What if you were standing on your head, wouldn't the movement be upwards for a sunset? God takes into account the general perspective of the reader.

It's still a vertical movement w.r.t. the horizon. The Bible clearly states that the Sun makes a clear path:

Psalm 19:6 It rises at one end of the heavensand makes its circuit to the other; nothing is deprived of its warmth.

So the movement is a clear vertical one: rise and set and a circuit above our heads.

I think in the more biblical models nothing revolves around the earth. I think everything is above the earth.

I don't really understand what the firmament is but basically the entire universe is above the earth.

I respectfully disagree. A downward movement of the Sun, as described in great length in the Bible, implies that the Sun sets below the Earth, not above.

By the same token, a fixed Earth is totally consistent with what the Bible says, without any interpretation needed.
Quote from: Pete Svarrior
these waves of smug RE'ers are temporary. Every now and then they flood us for a year or two in response to some media attention, and eventually they peter out. In my view, it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2020, 02:30:02 AM »
I'm more reffering to mass extinction events, like the flood, and I'll modify what I said to, that sort of event wont happen from the flood and on, rather than from the beginning of man. I don't see the evidence for the flood though. Why are there not kangaroos everywhere else except Australia? I'm not saying one way or the other since I'm not well read in that subject, just throwing sticks at it.

What you've said is similar so the things I would say, which is why I'm confused why you're a flat earther. Is the evidence really that insurmountable to you?

This is assuming that the flood really happened. The flood is one of those things I had previously discussed. The idea that the entire surface of the earth was covered in water up to the peaks of the tallest mountain is definetly one of the more outlandish stories outright defying everything that you have learned about physical reality and the mathematical and physical LAWS of how our universe operates 100% of the time. In addition it paints the horrible picture that you are worshiping a God who knowingly MURDERED hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of babies. Helpless, innocent, babies.

https://ncse.ngo/impossible-voyage-noahs-ark

I think in the more biblical models nothing revolves around the earth. I think everything is above the earth.

I don't really understand what the firmament is but basically the entire universe is above the earth.

I respectfully disagree. A downward movement of the Sun, as described in great length in the Bible, implies that the Sun sets below the Earth, not above.

I would see your view point if there were not a good half dozen verses explaining that the earth can't move or the earth does not move or the earth will never move
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:39:57 AM by iamcpc »

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2020, 01:56:54 PM »

I would see your view point if there were not a good half dozen verses explaining that the earth can't move or the earth does not move or the earth will never move

I'm not discussing that, I agree that for the Bible the Earth doesn't move. But at the same time for the Bible the Sun moves in a vertical way, plus setting under the horizon and rising from below the horizon.
Quote from: Pete Svarrior
these waves of smug RE'ers are temporary. Every now and then they flood us for a year or two in response to some media attention, and eventually they peter out. In my view, it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2020, 05:29:20 PM »
Unpopular opinion: just because the Bible says the earth is still doesn’t mean that it is. I’d prefer to believe in the truth that requires the least amount of faith.