Beanpiedumpling

Friendly Debate
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:05:14 AM »
Ok, I am a relatively firm believer that the Earth is round, though I would be interested if somebody could explain to me their point of view. I have a few questions I would like to ask: Where is the proof that the Earth is flat? How would a flat Earth actually work? What causes gravity in FET? What proof do you have that RET is wrong?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:53:17 PM by Beanpiedumpling »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Debate
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:20:13 AM »
Please take a moment to read the FAQ and familiarize yourself with at least a high level overview of FET. After that, I would suggest making a thread in the appropriate forum either asking a question, or bringing up a point you want to debate. New users who show up and post topics that essentially say "explain it all to me" don't result in threads that get much traction. Please understand that the long time users on this forum have been explaining FET for years. They don't tend to respond thoroughly to what may come off as an entitled round earth proponent coming here and asking for everything without researching. I am not saying that is the case here, just something you need to be aware of.

Offline Unsure101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
Ok, I am a relatively firm believer that the Earth is round, though I would be interested if somebody could explain to me their point of view. Then I will explain mine. And please, don't just turn this into a cyber shouting match.
The definitive answer is:
"The earth looks flat, therefore it must be."
Nothing presented to support RE theory will be accepted without definitive proof, yet everything supporting FE theory is accepted without proof such as:
Celestial gears, NASA guards at the south pole, shadow moon object, massive space conspiracy, magic gravity, bendy light, etc.
You get used to it after a while.

Beanpiedumpling

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »
Ok, I am a relatively firm believer that the Earth is round, though I would be interested if somebody could explain to me their point of view. Then I will explain mine. And please, don't just turn this into a cyber shouting match.
Nothing presented to support RE theory will be accepted without definitive proof, yet everything supporting FE theory is accepted without proof such as:
Celestial gears, NASA guards at the south pole, shadow moon object, massive space conspiracy, magic gravity, bendy light, etc.

I noticed that, which is why I started this forum to get some answers from the FE believers. Still waiting for some real evidence.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 02:11:07 PM »

I am happy you feel the need to speak for flat earth proponents, but please refrain form doing so.

I noticed that, which is why I started this forum to get some answers from the FE believers. Still waiting for some real evidence.

I already explained in detail a better approach to starting a discussion. If you want to ignore my advice, you shouldn't be surprised that no one wants to talk to you.

Offline Unsure101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »

I am happy you feel the need to speak for flat earth proponents, but please refrain form doing so.
I'm sorry Junker, but it would almost seem that you have decided that I am not a proponent of flat earth and therefore not entitled to voice my opinion?

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 12:59:26 PM »

I'm sorry Junker, but it would almost seem that you have decided that I am not a proponent of flat earth and therefore not entitled to voice my opinion?

To borrow a page from Vashet, arguing flat-earth theory is like swimming. You can try and fake it, but that's obvious to anyone watching.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 03:58:13 AM »

To borrow a page from Vashet, arguing flat-earth theory is like swimming. You can try and fake it, but that's obvious to anyone watching.
Can you give me some real evidence of flat-earth theory? All attempts I have seen to explain it have flimsy warrants and a complete lack of accepting the possibility of being wrong. And also, I believe this would qualify as a low-content post.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »
Can you give me some real evidence of flat-earth theory? All attempts I have seen to explain it have flimsy warrants and a complete lack of accepting the possibility of being wrong. And also, I believe this would qualify as a low-content post.

You can read the Wiki: https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Flat_Earth_Wiki

As you may imagine it gets tiresome rather quickly to constantly provide proof to people day in and day out. It's actually quite common for someone to come here, demand proof, receive a detailed answer, but never stop back by to read it. So, some of the more intelligent and work-averse among us wrote it once and posted it on the Wiki.

If your acceptance of flat-earth theory is contingent on getting a detailed and personalized answer rather than reading the Wiki (which we would likely copy and paste from anyway) then alas, perhaps flat-earth theory is not for you. Research is hard, I understand.

geckothegeek

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »
It is just my opinion that this website is just for flat earth ideas.There is really no such thing as a flat earth idea which quaifies as a theory since there is no such thing as a flat earth.
This website seems to be a place to debate flat earth ideas.
Such as "How would things have to be IF the earth WAS flat ? "
IF you are looking for any "Real Flat Earth Evidence"..........Forget it !....LOL

As something along the lines of "Friendly Debate":
Samuel  Birley Rowbotham, a 19th Century Englishman, said he measured the distance from the earth to the moon and it was 3000 miles.
Some Amateur Radio Operators, 21st Century Americans , said they measured the distance from the earth to the moon and it was 238150 miles.
Who or Which would you believe ?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:04:09 PM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:47:06 PM »
Samuel  Birley Rowbotham, a 19th Century Englishman, said he measured the distance from the earth to the moon and it was 3000 miles.
Some Amateur Radio Operators, 21st Century Americans , said they measured the distance from the earth to the moon and it was 238150 miles.

Neither?

geckothegeek

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 01:45:33 AM »

Neither?

Why  "Neither" ?
Who would you believe ? Someone or something else ?

I'll be honest. I'm biased. I'm a Duly Licensed Amateur Radio Operator  (Licensed by  the Federal Communications Commission in The United States  Of America ).
So I would believe my fellow Ham Radio Operators. But we are all part of the  vast "Round Earth Conspiracy" so you can't  believe us !    LOL

But if you were a true "Flat Earth Believer" you would believe Rowbotham. After all , he was both a Doctor of Philosophy  (PhD)  as well as a Doctor of MedIcine (MD).
But  I'm a confirmed "Round Earth  Believer" and I wouldn't believe the Good Doctor. LOL

But would you believe anyone ?  An Astronomical Observatory,  for example ? 
They say the average distance is 238857 miles ; the closest 225622 miles; the longest 252088 miles.
The ham radio operator measurements fall within these parameters.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:23:05 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 01:20:24 AM »
Once again. Same old thing. Ask a flat earther a question. It's been 5 days now and no reply.

geckothegeek

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 01:26:18 AM »

So am I !

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 01:39:38 PM »
Once again. Same old thing. Ask a flat earther a question. It's been 5 days now and no reply.

More likely no one answered you because the formatting of your question was garbage.

geckothegeek

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 05:56:12 PM »

More likely no one answered you because the formatting of your question was garbage.

Garbage ?

It was intended as a friendly  debate on whom you would believe as to the distance from the earth to the moon.
I  just stated my opinion and the reason for it and would have been interested in other opinions and  the other reasons for them.
Simple as that.

Which brings up a question.:
Why,  in your opinion , do you  consider it garbage ?

Offline nametaken

• ͡ ͡° ͜ ʖ ͡ ͡°
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 01:22:39 AM »
OP = banned
Everyone else = butthurt

I am beginning to see the trend of self-important entitled ego-freak OP newbies here, and am assuming they are all the same person multi-accounting.

To break it down to prove I'm not just trolling

OP = Onion Patrol/Original Poster/etc
Everyone else = Plural
self-important = I don't have time to research; tell me your results
entitled: see above
multi-accounting: see all the new posts, and if that doesn't help, check the official forum rules
The Flat Earth Society has members all around the Globe
[H]ominem unius libri timeo ~Truth is stranger.

Offline Pongo

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 03:23:38 AM »

Garbage ?

It was intended as a friendly  debate on whom you would believe as to the distance from the earth to the moon.
I  just stated my opinion and the reason for it and would have been interested in other opinions and  the other reasons for them.
Simple as that.

Which brings up a question.:
Why,  in your opinion , do you  consider it garbage ?

I'll say it again and highlight the salient point for you. The format was garbage. It was inside a quote block. Your question was probably passed over entirely.

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 04:50:35 PM »

While we're on the subject of formatting for debate; I'd like to point out the reason no one believes 'FET'.

geckothegeek

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »
There are many reasons why no one believes "FET".
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:23:30 PM by geckothegeek »