Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #8620 on: February 10, 2021, 05:14:31 PM »
If that doesnt work, go straight to the chewbacca defense

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: February 10, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
This is a unique situation.  There is no defense but at the same time there is no risk of conviction.

I'm really disappointed that Trump didn't take the opportunity to show up in person and just use his time to sell Trump steaks or Trump edible panties or whatever scam he's working on now.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: February 10, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »
A thought occurs to me: How does his SS detail function in the current setting?  He is literally walking around and living at a private (but open if you have enough money) club.  Anyone can buy their way in, play a few rounds, then kill him/kidnap him.  For an enemy nation: not difficult.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: February 10, 2021, 06:31:44 PM »
This is a unique situation.  There is no defense but at the same time there is no risk of conviction.

I'm really disappointed that Trump didn't take the opportunity to show up in person and just use his time to sell Trump steaks or Trump edible panties or whatever scam he's working on now.

Half-surprised he hasnt given himself a law degree from Trump University and started defending himself in person

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: February 13, 2021, 10:02:22 PM »
Watching McConnel give the GOP a tongue lashing for voting not guilty... interesting.

Rama Set

« Reply #8625 on: February 13, 2021, 10:07:28 PM »
Watching McConnel give the GOP a tongue lashing for voting not guilty... interesting.

Thats just politicking.  He voted that the trial was unconstitutional.  He is just posturing because he knows there was no danger of the dems getting a conviction.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: February 13, 2021, 10:11:45 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this acquittal. Orange man bad obviously. Don't incite an insurrection obviously. But that seems like it's as much a regular crime as it is a high crime. Maybe a real court would be a better place to sort that out.

This impeachment, well he's out of office. So really this is about banning him from office. But there's something about that that seems undemocratic to me. I almost think that the voters should decide that question.

But I think getting it done with fast was the right call.

Rama Set

« Reply #8627 on: February 13, 2021, 10:26:27 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this acquittal. Orange man bad obviously. Don't incite an insurrection obviously. But that seems like it's as much a regular crime as it is a high crime.

Impeachment isn't just for high crimes like treason, but also "improperly exceeding or abusing the powers of the office; behavior incompatible with the function and purpose of the office; and
misusing the office for an improper purpose or for personal gain."

Maybe a real court would be a better place to sort that out.

Executive priviledge means that impeachment was certainly the appropriate choice.

This impeachment, well he's out of office. So really this is about banning him from office. But there's something about that that seems undemocratic to me. I almost think that the voters should decide that question.

They are voting on whether any further government resources should be devoted to him as well as his eligibility for office.  All of that seems like a suitable decision for the legislature to make.  It's not like they depriving him of personal liberty or anything.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: February 13, 2021, 10:40:36 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this acquittal. Orange man bad obviously. Don't incite an insurrection obviously. But that seems like it's as much a regular crime as it is a high crime. Maybe a real court would be a better place to sort that out.

The thing is, sometimes people are dumb.  And with how our electoral system works, its easy enough to win the game even if most people hate you.  Plus, two parties means you have a very high chance of winning if you become the nominee.  Not like there could be 5 or 6 people who may win instead.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline crutonius

• View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: February 14, 2021, 02:17:54 AM »

The thing is, sometimes people are dumb.  And with how our electoral system works, its easy enough to win the game even if most people hate you.  Plus, two parties means you have a very high chance of winning if you become the nominee.  Not like there could be 5 or 6 people who may win instead.

"The people voted wrong. "

Don't get me wrong. You're correct about 2016 but it's a dangerous road to go down in a democracy when we start deciding to protect the voters from their own bad decisions.

Coincidentally there's a clause in the electoral college system that let's this small group of electors protect the people from their bad decisions. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if they decided to use it in 2016.

Rama Set

« Reply #8630 on: February 14, 2021, 02:39:00 AM »
I love all the whinging the GOP does over people getting cancelled, then seeing them censure their members for dating not to support Trump.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: February 14, 2021, 06:52:22 AM »

"The people voted wrong. "

Don't get me wrong. You're correct about 2016 but it's a dangerous road to go down in a democracy when we start deciding to protect the voters from their own bad decisions.

Coincidentally there's a clause in the electoral college system that let's this small group of electors protect the people from their bad decisions. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if they decided to use it in 2016.

Less wrong more... Poorly.
Like being fooled into thinking X is the best thing ever only to find out its shit because you didn't listen to the 500 1 star reviews.

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: February 14, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »

Thats just politicking.  He voted that the trial was unconstitutional.  He is just posturing because he knows there was no danger of the dems getting a conviction.

Lol yea that's what I was getting at. Saying Trump was responsible while simultaneously voting not to hold him responsible in any tangible sense of the word. Pretty pathetic. ???

Rama Set

« Reply #8633 on: February 14, 2021, 02:51:48 PM »
iT wASn’t cONsTiTUtioAL

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: February 15, 2021, 08:47:48 AM »
Trump to be re-inaugurated on March 4th. You heard it here first!
#QAnon.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: February 20, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »
I’ll put this here so as not to further bollox up the Biden thread. A further response to Thork implying that people in the UK prefer Trump to Biden when I think he actually means just him

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trump-biden-us-election-uk-poll-b1529337.html
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: February 22, 2021, 03:56:10 PM »
https://www.axios.com/trump-2024-republican-party-cpac-b687bd9f-6702-47cb-b1ac-d112deb23880.html

This is so sad. The once great GOP, forced to kowtow to the whims of a crybaby manchild, because it's core constituency is just too dumb to see what a mistake that is.

There's an irony, though. For decades the GOP has depended on the stupidity and naivete of its base to keep it in power while continuously screwing them over by putting policies in place that hurt them while propping up the rich. Now I feel like that very dependance on idiocy has put them in a vise grip that they can't escape.

Honestly looking from the other side it's a pretty entertaining shitshow. I don't know if it will help Democrats in the midterms or not (they seem pretty divided right now as well), but at least the Republicans are giving us something to amuse ourselves with in the time being.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: February 22, 2021, 06:05:05 PM »
https://www.axios.com/trump-2024-republican-party-cpac-b687bd9f-6702-47cb-b1ac-d112deb23880.html

This is so sad. The once great GOP, forced to kowtow to the whims of a crybaby manchild, because it's core constituency is just too dumb to see what a mistake that is.

There's an irony, though. For decades the GOP has depended on the stupidity and naivete of its base to keep it in power while continuously screwing them over by putting policies in place that hurt them while propping up the rich. Now I feel like that very dependance on idiocy has put them in a vise grip that they can't escape.

Honestly looking from the other side it's a pretty entertaining shitshow. I don't know if it will help Democrats in the midterms or not (they seem pretty divided right now as well), but at least the Republicans are giving us something to amuse ourselves with in the time being.

Imagine being the head of the Republican party and knowing Trump has your job without even having to fight for it?

Also:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/politics/supreme-court-trump-taxes-vance/index.html

Trump added 3 to the damn court and its not even enough to keep his tax records safe.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: February 23, 2021, 10:30:46 PM »
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/02/donald-trump-supreme-court-tax-returns/amp

Trump is the gift that just keeps giving. The man who tried to use his DOJ to investigate his political opponents is now crying that he's the victim of political persecution. I just... I just can't even anymore.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: February 24, 2021, 02:39:15 PM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y