Offline retlaw

• View Profile
Re: Sun temperatures
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:23:53 AM »

That's not what is being referred to here. We're talking about the fact that, if the sun is only a few thousand miles away, you should be able to take a measurement of the angle of the sun from two locations a known distance apart. Then use those angles and the distance to find the height of the sun. For the FE assertion to be true, all locations must point to at least roughly the same sun height. What I would expect you to see, is a marked difference depending upon what locations you use. Anywhere from a height estimate of 2000 miles to 5000 miles or so. Which is frankly impossible, unless either A) Light bends or B) The Earth isn't flat.

I agree with that experiment.
But light bends.

Light bends itself round corners
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2012/nov/30/light-bends-itself-round-corners

Bending light stronger than ever before by accelerating electrons
https://arstechnica.com/science/2012/08/bending-light-stronger-than-ever-before-by-accelerating-electrons/

Offline retlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 02:01:57 AM »
Plasma at eclipse

Sorry for how small the imagine is. How can I post a bigger one?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 02:25:08 AM »
Plasma at eclipse

Sorry for how small the imagine is. How can I post a bigger one?

Images are automatically downsized to reduce clutter. If anyone wants to view the fullsize image, all they need do is click on the image itself in your post.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
Please inform me on how to us perspective correctly.
Well first, understand what perspective is.

It is:
"The art of representing three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the right impression of their height, width, depth, and position in relation to each other."

Basically, when things get further away they look smaller.

Clearly in real life these tracks are parallel but the further ones away look like they are closer than the nearer ones. And the vanishing point is

"the point at which receding parallel lines viewed in perspective appear to converge"

Note the emphasis. Appear to. They don't really converge.

And if object A goes behind object B from your perspective then you can no longer see object B (assuming A is opaque).

What this means is if I have a clear line of sight to an object then I will be able to see it IF
a) My eyesight is good enough
b) Atmospheric conditions allow.

So Perspective cannot:

Explain sunset, if the sun is above a flat plane then I will be able to see it at all times unless something is in between me and the sun which, if I'm looking out to sea, there isn't. The sun would just get smaller and bigger.
Even if you accept that the sun is a spotlight (which creates a load of other problems), the sun would not slowly sink below the horizon.

Explain long shadows at sunset or shadows cast upwards, clouds being lit from below. Shadows are cast because a light source hits an object, the angle and length of the shadow depends on the physical relationship between the object and light source. Long shadows at sunset prove that the light source (the sun) is physically on the horizon and sinking behind it. Or it is appearing to be which means the light is bending. And yes, light can bend but you'd have to show what atmospheric affect is causing a sun 3000 miles above the earth to appear as if it on the horizon.

Ships disappearing hull first as it sails away from us at sea. The ship will get smaller but it won't slowly sink hull first behind the sea unless it is going over a curve.

On a flat plane I can see things so long as there is a clear line of sight between me and the object:

But on a curve I can't. Here I can only see the person's head, as the person goes further behind the hill he will disappear starting at the bottom:

And THAT is why the sun sets and boats disappear hull first, if we lived on a flat earth that would not happen.

But Perspective can:

Explain crepuscular rays.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/263653/flat-earthers-claim-crepuscular-rays-implies-the-sun-is-close

Claiming that crepuscular rays show a close sun is as silly as claiming that the photo above of the rail tracks show that the tracks originate from a point not that far away.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 07:26:54 AM »

Perspective: How far away is the train station? Parallel lines look like they are converging, but they aren't. The crepuscular rays are the same.

http://www.itacanet.org/the-sun-as-a-source-of-energy/part-2-solar-energy-reaching-the-earths-surface/#2.2.-The
Temperature: Just the cosine relationship gives you more radiative heating at noon than at sunrise or sunset. In addition, you have the heat capacity of the Earth and atmosphere to consider. When you put a pot on the stove it doesn't boil instantly