devils advocate

UA and a parachute
« on: December 12, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
So we are told that UA is equivalent to gravity, by Einstein who certainly had a better grasp of physics than me, however as he's dead can anyone else answer the following please?

To use Tom's example, when we step off a chair the ground rises up to meet us (not we fall down to the ground)

Thus when I jumped out of a plane the sensation and sight I had of me rushing towards the earth was actually earth rushing up to meet me right?!

So how do parachutes works? With gravity It's easy, my pull towards the ground is being countered by the Parachute but how does UA explain my extended time in the air. It can't be that my Chute was actually slowing down the earth's upwards motion can it?

Danke  ???

Re: UA and a parachute
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »
So we are told that UA is equivalent to gravity, by Einstein who certainly had a better grasp of physics than me, however as he's dead can anyone else answer the following please?

To use Tom's example, when we step off a chair the ground rises up to meet us (not we fall down to the ground)

Thus when I jumped out of a plane the sensation and sight I had of me rushing towards the earth was actually earth rushing up to meet me right?!

So how do parachutes works? With gravity It's easy, my pull towards the ground is being countered by the Parachute but how does UA explain my extended time in the air. It can't be that my Chute was actually slowing down the earth's upwards motion can it?

Danke  ???
It's all the same forces at work. The reason you fall slower is air resistance in both models. Air resistance works exactly the same for each, working like friction to pull you up/away from the Earth. With gravity it slows your descent. With UA it functions sort of like the ground, accelerating you at a speed less than 9.8 m/s/s because of the reduced resistance relative to the resistance of the ground.

That said, we're not going to disprove UA. We can show there's no evidence preferring UA over anything else relatively easily, but we can't conclusively rule out UA with simple tests or exercises like this.

devils advocate

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
Cheers for that, am I right then in saying that UA is kind of "pushing" the air up in front of it and as this air hits my Chute that friction is the cause of earth not rushing to meet me as quickly as without the chute? In effect I am being slightly propelled upwards by the up-draft?

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:08:15 PM »
Cheers for that, am I right then in saying that UA is kind of "pushing" the air up in front of it and as this air hits my Chute that friction is the cause of earth not rushing to meet me as quickly as without the chute? In effect I am being slightly propelled upwards by the up-draft?
That's a good way to look at it indeed!

devils advocate

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
Cool well cheers for that CS, I can get my head round this idea a bit now.  :D

DA

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 04:13:41 PM »
There are places you can go and pay money to “skydive” indoors. Upward rushing air pushes on you or a parachute exactly the same whether it’s gravity or UA doing the work.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »
I am a civil engineer. And I endorse this message. The primary distinction between UA and gravity is that UA cannot "attract" people to the "bottom" of the earth. Rather, it would "repel" them. Does not work, in other words, for, say, hmm, a Round Earth.
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.