devils advocate

What is the flat earth position?
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:03:29 PM »
So on questions such as how sunsets occur on flat earth etc there is not a universal response from the FE crew...Pete Svarrior confirms that Tom Bishop does not represent their views, Junker chucks threads to nonsense and J-man talks 'God did it' and other bollox, so I ask where is (and why not) is there a community answer to basic RE problems with the FE theory? You have no agreed map, answer to sunsets, moon appearance across the earth, pinhole camera observations etc so if you three can't even agree how do you hope to persuade us?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: What is the flat earth position?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:21:14 AM »
My views of a bi-polar model may not be the majority, but they are not out of bounds. Both monopole and bi-polar models of the earth are represented in the historic Flat Earth Society Literature.

In fact, if you read the literature, after the South Pole was discovered in the early 1900's, the Society led by Lady Blount admitted that the monopole model was a mistake and the official Flat Earth model was updated to have two poles. Read their books and journals from around that time period.

The problem seems to be that people tend to stop reading after Earth Not a Globe and tend to see the Bi-Polar model as new and fringe, when it is actually rather old and from the time period when the society was a scientific research organization with a budget (mid 1800's - 1930's).

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »
My views of a bi-polar model may not be the majority, but they are not out of bounds. Both monopole and bi-polar models of the earth are represented in the historic Flat Earth Society Literature.

In fact, if you read the literature, after the South Pole was discovered in the early 1900's, the Society led by Lady Blount admitted that the monopole model was a mistake and the official Flat Earth model was updated to have two poles. Read their books and journals from around that time period.

The problem seems to be that people tend to stop reading after Earth Not a Globe and tend to see the Bi-Polar model as new and fringe, when it is actually rather old and from the time period when the society was a scientific research organization with a budget (mid 1800's - 1930's).
All this while we know the earth is round.

Did you check dateandtime.com?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 01:55:35 PM »

Yes. We checked their website and even wrote to them and they refused to provide a source for their data or tell us anything about the model they are using, whether it was pattern or geometric-based, citing proprietary data.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »

Yes. We checked their website and even wrote to them and they refused to provide a source for their data or tell us anything about the model they are using, whether it was pattern or geometric-based, citing proprietary data.
Does it give the right information for your location?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 02:43:18 PM »

Maybe it does. I have not really checked. But the sun has made the same patterns across the sky for many years. Why do you think it is impossible to predict that pattern?

devils advocate

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:44:06 PM »

Thanks for your answer Tom,

I just struggle to get my head around the strength of your belief. You seem so keen on proving things in a controlled experiment when it comes to RE proofs but less so with FE. You lambaste astronomy for observing and making assumptions and then explain the position and motion of the sun on FE, the magic perspective that allows sunsets to occur and when I asked for more detail about the stars we see you direct me to read FE literature, which itself does not contain any controlled experiments that demonstrate the astronomers are wrong about the size, locations of the stars. The only thing that's wrong is that none of it fits with a flat earth which leads me to think earth is round.

Surely between the FE believers, (I see you, Junker, Pete S, Dither and a couple of other MODs who turn up randomly-((not J-man as he is an obvious troll)) you could come up with some consensus and then update the Wiki?? Seems like there is just as much discord within the FE movement as between it and RE. Quote Monty Python: "Brothers let us not fight each other but unite against the common enemy"

You want FE to "fight the globulist heresy in all it's forms" which is noble and the right thing to do if you believe we are all the subjects of a mass conspiracy. If it turns out you're right Tom you will be a legend and I will rename my kids in your honour so please "get your house in order" as it were because if you are right then the world depends on you as you are the most frequent debater here. Chat to the others and come to a consensus. There should be A flat earth position.

devils advocate

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »

Maybe it does. I have not really checked.

Perfectly timed example Tom! You criticize the scientific method for trying to prove it's own hypothesis and hold your Zetetic method in high regard (which claims to evaluate EVERY POSSIBILITY to thus ensure that the TRUTH is found) and yet here you are offered something that may challenge your hypothesis and you avoid it! Same detail in another thread when they were asking you to do something with a piece of string to check the angles of the moon and you responded something akin to" why would I conduct your experiments?". Not the actions of a real truth seeker I think, more like someone who is exactly trying to prove only their own hypothesis and shying from any test that may challenge it!

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »

Perfectly timed example Tom! You criticize the scientific method for trying to prove it's own hypothesis and hold your Zetetic method in high regard (which claims to evaluate EVERY POSSIBILITY to thus ensure that the TRUTH is found) and yet here you are offered something that may challenge your hypothesis and you avoid it! Same detail in another thread when they were asking you to do something with a piece of string to check the angles of the moon and you responded something akin to" why would I conduct your experiments?". Not the actions of a real truth seeker I think, more like someone who is exactly trying to prove only their own hypothesis and shying from any test that may challenge it!
He makes a fair point about it potentially being possible to predict sunrise/set times with pattern-based software. Looking at things here: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php they don't appear to vary too much for the same day year to year. I have a suspicion a pattern could be there, but have neither the time nor the tools to attempt to find out. I'm not sure the timing of sunrise/set are all that amazing of a proof for RE anyway without conclusive proof they're found using the movement of the planets. I personally feel it's been provided elsewhere, but that's neither here nor there. The fact it happens at all is far greater evidence against FE in my opinion. I do hope Tom can find the time to get back to the most recent perspective thread though. I'm so very curious about his reply.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 04:02:28 PM »

Maybe it does. I have not really checked. But the sun has made the same patterns across the sky for many years. Why do you think it is impossible to predict that pattern?
Please check.  And you agree the angle of the sun it gives is correct.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:34:44 PM by inquisitive »

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 09:15:36 PM »

Because the pattern changes depending on your location.   If neither you, nor anyone else (it seems) knows the flat earth map - then how could a company like TimeAndDate.com possibly have the time/energy/money to send observers to every city in the world for years at a time, painstakingly measuring the passage of the Sun (and other things they show)?

CLEARLY they didn't do that - so they must have used some kind of mathematical formula...not just observations.

That said, I could perhaps believe that they checked their math by doing spot checks on actual sunrise times in a few places around the world.

But there is no way they could have done this in the way you imagine they might.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »

He makes a fair point about it potentially being possible to predict sunrise/set times with pattern-based software. Looking at things here: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php they don't appear to vary too much for the same day year to year. I have a suspicion a pattern could be there, but have neither the time nor the tools to attempt to find out. I'm not sure the timing of sunrise/set are all that amazing of a proof for RE anyway without conclusive proof they're found using the movement of the planets. I personally feel it's been provided elsewhere, but that's neither here nor there. The fact it happens at all is far greater evidence against FE in my opinion. I do hope Tom can find the time to get back to the most recent perspective thread though. I'm so very curious about his reply.

Except I went through the documentation provided by the developer of SOFA and showed that there was zero evidence of this pattern-based stuff Tom made up. In fact, all of the relevant functions I looked at were using trig to calculate positions and times down to the microsecond. But hey, who needs facts on this board when we have Zetetecists and their thorough method?  ::)
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »

Except I went through the documentation provided by the developer of SOFA and showed that there was zero evidence of this pattern-based stuff Tom made up. In fact, all of the relevant functions I looked at were using trig to calculate positions and times down to the microsecond. But hey, who needs facts on this board when we have Zetetecists and their thorough method?  ::)
Oh I agree. As I said "...conclusive proof they're found using the movement of the planets. I personally feel it's been provided elsewhere..." It's just the information has relatively small variance, and I suspect it's POSSIBLE there could in fact be a pattern of some form to it. I just don't have the ability to go dredging through years worth of data points to try and see if there is one. That doesn't mean the suggestion that timeanddate.com (which as Tom mentioned DID refuse to give us what they use) could potentially be using it has no merit. Just that we have other sources that clearly show an equation based upon planetary motion and it's answers match all other sources we have that just give that info.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »

Oh I agree. As I said "...conclusive proof they're found using the movement of the planets. I personally feel it's been provided elsewhere..." It's just the information has relatively small variance, and I suspect it's POSSIBLE there could in fact be a pattern of some form to it. I just don't have the ability to go dredging through years worth of data points to try and see if there is one. That doesn't mean the suggestion that timeanddate.com (which as Tom mentioned DID refuse to give us what they use) could potentially be using it has no merit. Just that we have other sources that clearly show an equation based upon planetary motion and it's answers match all other sources we have that just give that info.

I think Tom has just latched onto the fact that TimeAndDate.com refused to give us an answer - and that dumped them into the conspiracy theory bucket so he now likes to talk about their failure to cooperate.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:47:51 AM »

Sorry, this wasn't directed at you so much as I was using it as a jumping off point to remind Tom that I already showed him that it wasn't pattern based.
-Terry50

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 07:52:20 PM »

Sorry, this wasn't directed at you so much as I was using it as a jumping off point to remind Tom that I already showed him that it wasn't pattern based.

As I recall you were going to look further into the SOFA math and then disappeared from the thread.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »

As I recall you were going to look further into the SOFA math and then disappeared from the thread.
Nope, I posted.
-Terry50

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
So on questions such as how sunsets occur on flat earth etc there is not a universal response from the FE crew...Pete Svarrior confirms that Tom Bishop does not represent their views, Junker chucks threads to nonsense and J-man talks 'God did it' and other bollox, so I ask where is (and why not) is there a community answer to basic RE problems with the FE theory? You have no agreed map, answer to sunsets, moon appearance across the earth, pinhole camera observations etc so if you three can't even agree how do you hope to persuade us?

Under the Globe Earth model, the sun doesn't rise nor set. Being as we rotate around the sun the sun would appear to rise and set depending on how far away it is from us. AKA Perception. That same law of perception would also apply to the flat earth model being we perceive things to look the way they due because of how our brain and eyes work. My point is in a flat Earth, the sun rotates around us, meaning the further the sun is from us it would appear smaller and smaller causing it to appear to set. However, it hasn't!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:57:30 AM by PuttPutt4x »

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »

Under the Globe Earth model, the sun doesn't rise nor set. Being as we rotate around the sun the sun would appear to rise and set depending on how far away it is from us. AKA Perception. That same law of perception would also apply to the flat earth model being we perceive things to look the way they due because of how our brain and eyes work. My point is in a flat Earth, the sun rotates around us, meaning the further the sun is from us it would appear smaller and smaller causing it to appear to set. However, it hasn't!

You have half of that correct - it would appear smaller and smaller as it receded into the distance. This is not what is observed in reality. The size of the sun stays pretty constant due to its size and distance.
-Terry50

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »

You have half of that correct - it would appear smaller and smaller as it receded into the distance. This is not what is observed in reality. The size of the sun stays pretty constant due to its size and distance.

Have you ever been on a beach, something we have a lot of here in Panama city, Panama , but really seen how the sun looks overhead and how it looks right when it meets the horizon?  They are nowhere near the same size and depending on how close you are to it, based on how it rotates (your Earth, or my Sun) it would appear larger or smaller at the Horizon due to the season.  The tropic of Cancer and Capricorn dictates the seasons. No matter which model you use. :)