Hi

Like it says on the tin: "In Flat Earth theory, What is the thickness of the Earth plane thought to be?".

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Hi

Like it says on the tin: "In Flat Earth theory, What is the thickness of the Earth plane thought to be?".

It depends on the flat earth model. It ranges from a matter of miles to something that is infinitely thick

Hi

It depends on the flat earth model. It ranges from a matter of miles to something that is infinitely thick
I don't believe any FE model proposes it to be 'infintiely thick' as that wouldn't work for any of the 3 I can think of off-hand. Suffice to say it's unknown, but clearly thicker than we've ever dug down.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Hi

I don't believe any FE model proposes it to be 'infintiely thick' as that wouldn't work for any of the 3 I can think of off-hand. Suffice to say it's unknown, but clearly thicker than we've ever dug down.

Here is one. I read more stuff like this but it was on the other flat earth forums and i'm too lazy to go find it to link it to you.

https://www.quora.com/How-thick-would-a-flat-Earth-be

"I would propose the disk is practically infinite in thickness, but much less dense that you expect"

Hi

Here is one. I read more stuff like this but it was on the other flat earth forums and i'm too lazy to go find it to link it to you.

https://www.quora.com/How-thick-would-a-flat-Earth-be

"I would propose the disk is practically infinite in thickness, but much less dense that you expect"
So 1) This doesn't appear to be a flat Earth proponent, but someone attempting to describe it. 2) If you look at any of the 3 'main' positions floating about this site and the other forum none of them function with an infinite (or near infinite) thickness. 3) What he proposes is similar to the infinite plane idea but in the opposite direction to what I would call 'common' in regards to that one. Usually it's infinite in all directions forming an infinite plane, and finite in thickness. This is however the least popular one on this particular site ime.

Offline MrPenguin

• The penguins have crosed the ice-wall. Ask them.
    • View Profile
    • Don't Boredom
In 1970, Soviet geologists took on the challenge, setting their drills over the Kola Peninsula, which juts eastward out of the Scandinavian landmass. The Kola Superdeep Borehole was just 9 inches in diameter, but at 40,230 feet (12,262 meters) reigns as the deepest hole ever. The earth must be thicker than that, unless it was just a hoax and they did reach the other side, and have kept it from the general public so that no-one attempts to dig a hole for themselves to get to the other side of the world.
YEET

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
For the infinite plane model, you can use Gauss's law of gravity to calculate the thickness of the FE (no UA required).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%27s_law_for_gravity#Bouguer_plate
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.