Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
Is the world fully explored?
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:42:18 PM »
In the early days of exploration, early centuries where people worked to map the world, there were constant omissions. One of the most common was the total lack of America in many ancient world maps. Then the Vikings and Columbus set sail, and suddenly it had to be added to the European maps.
With the more recent claimed use of satellites to map out the whole globe world, exploration has pretty much ceased under the logic that we've aerial views of every inch of the planet. But if that is not the case, we are in the same boat as those ancient cartographers that had never heard of the Americas and yet still believed they'd mapped the world. After all planes and boats only show us so much, and there are a limited number of flight paths. Might there be more land that has yet to be discovered, and won't be discovered for so long as the world labors under the delusion that the globe shows us everything?
My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Is the world fully explored?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »
... exploration has pretty much ceased under the logic that we've aerial views of every inch of the planet.

Has it? Who declared this, apart from you?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

pj1

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
I hold the belief that satellite imagery provide an obvious answer, but putting that aside for a moment...

I would suggest that the 'wisdom of the crowd' would eliminate the theory that there's much left undiscovered.

In the early days of exploration, there was a handful of 'explorers' presumably working almost independently.  Today, we have perpetually connected populations all over the world, all happy to travel intercontinentally, all contributing to a global database of knowledge.

Might we find an uncharted island in the middle of the pacific? Possibly. But based on the way technology has connected the world, I doubt there's an undiscovered landmass that one would class as significant.

Offline JRowe

• View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
... exploration has pretty much ceased under the logic that we've aerial views of every inch of the planet.

If you disagree, feel free to correct me rather than just whinging that I didn't source every little common sense sentence. There's no need for explorers in the supposed age of satellite imagery.

I hold the belief that satellite imagery provide an obvious answer, but putting that aside for a moment...

I would suggest that the 'wisdom of the crowd' would eliminate the theory that there's much left undiscovered.

In the early days of exploration, there was a handful of 'explorers' presumably working almost independently.  Today, we have perpetually connected populations all over the world, all happy to travel intercontinentally, all contributing to a global database of knowledge.

Might we find an uncharted island in the middle of the pacific? Possibly. But based on the way technology has connected the world, I doubt there's an undiscovered landmass that one would class as significant.
Except that travel is along established routes, as it was historically. No one's saying there'll be a whole other continent, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »

If you disagree, feel free to correct me rather than just whinging that I didn't source every little common sense sentence.

You said it, you should be able to cite some basis other than "common sense"

There's no need for explorers in the supposed age of satellite imagery.

Saying there's "no need" for something is not proof of an absence of it, though....

Nearly?

Offline JRowe

• View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »
I am not going to waste my time, if as per usual you are going to refuse to actually contribute anything I will not bother with you.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »

If you disagree, feel free to correct me rather than just whinging that I didn't source every little common sense sentence. There's no need for explorers in the supposed age of satellite imagery.
The ocean continue to be explored: https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/backmatter/whatisexploration.html
If we weren't still exploring the surface and underground, how would we have found the black sarcophagus? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44893804

I think either you have an extremely limited view of what constitutes 'exploring' or you just aren't paying attention.

BillO

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 07:40:13 PM »
Might there be more land that has yet to be discovered, and won't be discovered for so long as the world labors under the delusion that the globe shows us everything?
No, mapping satellites fly in sun synchronous polar orbits.  Over a short time they see the entire surface of the earth.  The two most well known are radarsat-1 and terrasarx.  Aren't you FE'ers supposed to be zetetic and do your own research?  It is easy to look them up and read about them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:44:46 PM by BillO »

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
Also, adventure tourism has people trekking to remote parts of the Earth, but no one has yet to report falling off the map.... yet.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 10:23:40 PM »
I am not going to waste my time, if as per usual you are going to refuse to actually contribute anything I will not bother with you.

As per usual, you're going to say "coulda, shoulda, might have, no need for" as though they're definites; they're not.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
In the early days of exploration, early centuries where people worked to map the world, there were constant omissions. One of the most common was the total lack of America in many ancient world maps. Then the Vikings and Columbus set sail, and suddenly it had to be added to the European maps.
With the more recent claimed use of satellites to map out the whole globe world, exploration has pretty much ceased under the logic that we've aerial views of every inch of the planet. But if that is not the case, we are in the same boat as those ancient cartographers that had never heard of the Americas and yet still believed they'd mapped the world. After all planes and boats only show us so much, and there are a limited number of flight paths. Might there be more land that has yet to be discovered, and won't be discovered for so long as the world labors under the delusion that the globe shows us everything?
Exploration in the sense of "Holy crap, here's a massive new continent" is over. We've done it and it's been mapped by satellites.
As someone else has noted, a lot remains to be discovered at a more granular level or under the surface. I read somewhere that the surface of the moon has been mapped with more accuracy than the bottom of the oceans. And there are whole swathes of places like Antarctica which probably no-one has been to.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

HorstFue

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »
"Is the world fully explored?"

... is a real good question. This rises a topology question:
A flat world is either
  • infinite - and  we would have more than plenty to investigate.
  • finite - than it must have an edge, border, some limitation
On a sphere you can go any direction infinitely, just round and round the sphere.
On a finite flat world you sooner or later will be stopped by the edge.
Oh yes, I know, "The Ice Wall". Do we have enough evidence for this? I doubt it.