Offline Chris

• View Profile
Outer space satellites-not addressed in FAQ page
« on: January 02, 2016, 06:34:13 AM »
How do flat earth proponents explain the presence of space satellites visible with telescopes by amateurs.  My wife's first cousin is a Ph.D. astrophysicist and consults for companies that send rockets with satellites attached with them into space.  He has seen this himself as he is responsible for calculating payloads and trajectories, in order to achieve stable orbits in space. Do FE proponents claim that satellites travel in a circular path "above" the earth much like it is claimed that the sun does?  If so, wouldn't somebody get the idea to strap a camera on them, which would show the actual configuration of the continents?  If the earth were a flat disc, wouldn't someone from a private company--not controlled by a government agency--be excited to share the reality of a flat earth to the world? Wouldn't that spark a huge public outcry that we have been lied to for generations.  Wouldn't every effort then be made to confirm this truth by the public? If satellites orbit in circular path above the earth, instrument panels would be able to measure that this is happening and that the satellite was not traveling in an orbit around a globe shaped earth.

The alternative to  this is that everyone who has ever worked for satellite companies and studied in their fields for years are ALL devious liars and conspirators-and for what purpose?  How would they make money and provide for their families--and they often do make a lot of money--if they are actually doing nothing by lying to everyone? They would not show the kind of infectious excitement about their work, which I have seen first hand in my wife's cousin, if they were simply lying and part of a huge conspiracy.  Wouldn't someone eventually spill the beans that  NASA, etc, is all a hoax?  It is my understanding of human nature that conspiracies of this size are impossible to keep under wraps because when you assemble a large group of people someone always gossips.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Outer space satellites-not addressed in FAQ page
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »
Hi Chris, welcome to the FES.

Before posting, please make sure to browse around and use the search feature to make sure that your subjects are not already being discussed elsewhere (hint: most of them are). Multiple threads on the same subject do not help anyone - they only dilute the conversation and make it more difficult for future visitors to find their answers.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »
NASA is known for taking advantage of PhD interns and newly grads to provide theoretical research for how a rocket payload to space would work on a round earth, for satellite technologies, and so on. They can get these research papers written at no, or very little cost, since any student, professor, or minted graduate bends over backwards to do work for NASA. It adds to NASA's legitimacy for the public and to Congress.

When the facade starts crashing down, such as when NASA get audited and faces problems with the details due to the bulk of the monies not being used legitimately, NASA can simply overwhelm the GAO with mission research to help "prove" that actual space science is taking place. The government gives NASA the benefit of the doubt, a few loose apologies are given to Congress, NASA learns how to launder money a little better, and the scam continues.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:29:41 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »
Would you please answer my question? What is your view of satellites?  Do you believe that they exist? My comment about my wife's cousin was made because he never worked for NASW.  he has nothing to hide. He is not a newbie either, but rather a long-time scientist who is responsible for launches, and orbitalconditions