Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
The Official Football/Soccer Thread
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:59 AM »
Since the other sports thread includes sports many outside of America don't care about (American football), it seems appropriate to have a thread dedicated to the world's sport.

Copa América Centenario just started the 2nd match of the group stage and USA is up 3-0 against Costa Rica at the moment. This is critical for them, as they would be eliminated if they lost this match. Not like USA has a chance to win, but I think it is more interesting if they make it past the group stage.

In other news, Euro 2016 starts in a few days, the International Champions Cup starts in July, and we have the Olympics as well as league play starting in August. It is going to be a great summer of football.

I am going to be attending the Leicester City v. Paris Saint Germain match in California next month, pretty excited for that as I have never been to a match before.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:27:59 AM by junker »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Football/Soccer Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:19:18 PM »

Hi Junker, cheer Leicester for me. Fuck knows how they will handle the heat.

Moan time about the England squad in the Euro' cup. Why the fuck are we still playing Rooney? the integral part of all our recent debacles. Why is Roy saying that the midfield has to have Wilshire (who has played 1 full game all season) in it but not Danny Drinkwater who was instrumental in one of footballs greatest moments?

Italy look good, stuffed the Belgians (who were my tip to win, what do I know?).
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
I will definitely be rooting for Leicester.

That 90th minute equalizer from Russia was pretty brutal. Not as brutal as the Russian fans after the match, though.

Looking forward to watching Argentina this evening. Messi looked in perfect form last match, scoring 3 goals in about 20 minutes.

USA bounced back nicely from their first match loss. I really think we have a good chance against Ecuador in the quarter finals. Unfortunately, that would likely put us against Argentina in the semis, and that would be it. Still a nice run though if it comes to be.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 07:30:31 AM »

Thanks.

Yeah the violence. Reading between the lines it looks as if the Russian government is just spoiling for a flare up of some sort, their media is actually saying well done, One of their ministers and member of the football union saying "I don't see anything terrible about fans fighting. Quite the opposite, the guys did well. Keep it up!" The spokesman for Russia's powerful Investigative Committee went even further.

"A normal man, as he should be, surprises them," tweeted Vladimir Markin, referring to European outrage at Russian hooligans. "They're used to seeing 'men' at gay parades,"

Putin exporting his nationalism, which seeing as they are supposed to be hosting the World cup in 2018 is a bit worrying.

Anyway good luck against Ecuador.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »
Really looking forward to USA/Argentina tomorrow, even though we know the likely outcome. Especially with the US being down two starters. I laid $100 on Argentina to win, so either way, I come out a winner.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:03:42 PM »

England were shit! Neither Wilshire nor Rooney could get a ball to the strikers, still we go through, massive room for improvement.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »

England were shit! Neither Wilshire nor Rooney could get a ball to the strikers, still we go through, massive room for improvement.

I watched a bit of the England - Slovakia game and was reminded of why I don't watch football.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »
The play I've seen in most of the Euro matches has been pretty uninspiring.

USA v. Argentina tonight should be a blast though! Argentina is only a one goal favorite, maybe it will be close. But probably not.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:56:24 PM by junker »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »

Good luck, but I'm afraid it might get Messi.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 02:33:42 AM »
Oh it did. The USA got Messi'd up!

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 07:22:59 AM »

Just watched the highlights, 3 minutes! A corner, beautiful chip, unmarked header GOAL! And Messi's free kick! Unstoppable. The last two seems like the defence had either ran out of steam or were just woefully outclassed.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »

Just watched the highlights, 3 minutes! A corner, beautiful chip, unmarked header GOAL! And Messi's free kick! Unstoppable. The last two seems like the defence had either ran out of steam or were just woefully outclassed.

Goddamn that goal was incredible. I won my bet, so I am still happy. I also got to see the best player in the world shine. I think it was a very respectable tournament for the USMNT, especially after they were on the brink of elimination after the first match in the group stage.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
Holy fucking Iceland!  Its happening!

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 09:00:02 PM »
Oh England Oh ancient Celtic warrior race, your football team are a crock of shit.

Well done Iceland.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »
I didn't get to watch the match but I did bet $25 on Iceland to advance at +350. Won $87.50 plus my $25 wager back. A good day so far.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »
I'm reasonably impressed with the USMNT's efforts overall in Copa. Outside of the thrashing at the hands of Argentina, they played a respectable tournament. They improved greatly between their first and last match with Columbia and gave us a much better showing. Of course, until our best athletes start playing soccer, the US will be mostly a footnote on the world stage, where simply getting out of the group stage of a tournament will be a success. The tides are changing a bit though, with all of the new studies and information about the danger of American football, more and more parents will be keeping their kids from the game and pushing them to basketball and soccer. I imagine the NFL will look vastly different in the next 20-30 years. Everyone thinks the NFL is untouchable on its throne, which very well may be its undoing.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »

Well I am glad you are happy with your team, not everyone can win but when you can see they tried and actually wanted to win, well that is how it should be.

That brings us to England & Woy Hodgson (our manager). I had watched the preceding game, a dual between the tightly organised free flowing Italians and former champions Spain, pin point passing with a slightly faded wizardry, a good game where the Italians deserved to win but the Spaniards were not embarrassed. At one point an Italian made a duff pass near his manager, who frankly over-reacted, yelling, kicking the ball up the pitch and looking for a moment like he was going to get sent to the stands by the ref, and I thought well he’s passionate at least. They showed a few shots of Woy during our beating, by a nation with a population of just over 300,000, who have more volcanoes than they do professional football players and a manager who is a part time dentist. Woy looked like a pensioner who had lost his way looking for the toilets, and had been told to sit down and wait until the end of the game, lest he disturb the match. Shame….shame….

Rama Set

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
I am loving all the upsets in Euro. There goes your pick Jura.

Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
The big upsets have me making some decent cash. I laid $50 on Wales at +240. I think I may let it ride on Iceland.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
I am loving all the upsets in Euro. There goes your pick Jura.

Yep, well done Wales. At least it will shut the England appologists up, all the shit excuses for our abysmal performance apply to Wales in spades we just hadn't got the bottle or the right management.
Shame for Italy too, but they should have tried to win it in normal time.