Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: The Zetetic Council
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »
As I said, I was expecting more people to actually give some input on the council. I'd like to have a more concrete idea of our role, responsibilities, rights, etc. before saying something official.
To my understanding, writing a constitution was supposed to be the first task of the Council, but this is being ignored for some reason.

That reason is that I'm waiting on input from you and others. I feel that the Council shouldn't make its own constitution in a forum where non-council members can't even post. If you'd rather we just do it and trust us not to screw up, I'd be happy to.

EDIT: apparently we're doing it. Alrighty then.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:37:43 PM by Tausami »
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
You can't just wait for input forever. Make a draft and show it to others for discussion.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
You can't just wait for input forever. Make a draft and show it to others for discussion.

Way ahead of you

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
Re-post from this thread, seemed more relevant here:  http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=866.0

The text of Earth Not a Globe is public domain.  Several small independent publishers have re-released it in paperback and Kindle editions are numerous.

What if we, as a society, put together a definitive, annotated edition of Earth Not a Globe and self-published?  It's pretty easy to do, and we have the minds here to produce a pretty complete work.  FES branded, with our 21st century take on the 19th century text, sold here on the site, with proceeds going to... a charity of some sort?

Thoughts?

This is probably Zetetic Council territory, so I leave the idea to them.  I've done book layouts and cover designs before, so as far as the electronic side of things I could handle that, and as far as printing, self-publishing is super easy now with tools like https://www.createspace.com/.  Printing is done on demand as the books are ordered, so there's no need to stockpile inventory or print a large run at the outset.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
My input on the Constitution and council:

Am I allowed to post on this forum so long as I don't act like a dick?
If yes then I don't care about anything else.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 11:29:28 PM »

That's our remit, not theirs. The answer, however, is yes.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 11:31:32 PM »

That's our remit, not theirs. The answer, however, is yes.
If the council isn't going to(or able to) restrict the forum's access then I suspect that most people on this forum aren't interested in what the council does.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 11:58:48 PM »
The council is about the society itself. We're happy to leave the running of the forum to the admins and the mods. It seems to work better that way. We're more in charge of things like the FAQ and the Wiki

Re-post from this thread, seemed more relevant here:  http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=866.0

The text of Earth Not a Globe is public domain.  Several small independent publishers have re-released it in paperback and Kindle editions are numerous.

What if we, as a society, put together a definitive, annotated edition of Earth Not a Globe and self-published?  It's pretty easy to do, and we have the minds here to produce a pretty complete work.  FES branded, with our 21st century take on the 19th century text, sold here on the site, with proceeds going to... a charity of some sort?

Thoughts?

This is probably Zetetic Council territory, so I leave the idea to them.  I've done book layouts and cover designs before, so as far as the electronic side of things I could handle that, and as far as printing, self-publishing is super easy now with tools like https://www.createspace.com/.  Printing is done on demand as the books are ordered, so there's no need to stockpile inventory or print a large run at the outset.

I quite like this idea.

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:19 AM »
Haha the FAQ and the wiki eh? Then what was the council even for? Any muppet can do that.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2014, 01:04:20 AM »
Haha the FAQ and the wiki eh? Then what was the council even for? Any muppet can do that.
Well, what did you expect? It has been clear since the beginning of the idea of the Council that forum staff would be in charge of the technical stuff. You seem extremely bitter about very simple facts, and yet you offer no alternative, or anything of use, really.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2014, 01:07:23 AM »
The council is about the society itself. We're happy to leave the running of the forum to the admins and the mods. It seems to work better that way. We're more in charge of things like the FAQ and the Wiki

The forum is the single most representative presence this society has.  Yes there are some minor groups in various places but this is where everyone goes.  This is where they talk to leaders and learn about the society.  This is where they meet their first flat earther.

If the council doesn't control the forum, does it have any real power?

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 01:18:40 AM »

The forum is the single most representative presence this society has.  Yes there are some minor groups in various places but this is where everyone goes.  This is where they talk to leaders and learn about the society.  This is where they meet their first flat earther.

The council doesn't need to control the forum's members - moderators are more than capable of doing that.  The council has the more important task of overseeing the forum's content.  Essentially, they're the public face of not only the society, but of Flat Earth Theory as a concept.  If I were visiting a time-traveling web forum on scientists of the early 20th century, I would rather Albert Einstein, Max Planck, and Madam Curie focus on ongoing discussion, debate, and fact sharing, not policing alts and trolls.  To make a rather obtuse analogy.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2014, 01:29:33 AM »
If nothing else, the council can (theoretically) provide an authoritative voice to the FAQ and wiki.  Just keep Tom away from the BoP article.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 01:30:57 AM »

What, exactly, do you expect us to do with the forum?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 01:34:56 AM »
Use it as a medium to further research FET, perhaps?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 02:15:51 AM »
Use it as a medium to further research FET, perhaps?

That wouldn't be controlling the forum in any way, shape, or form. Thank you for your input.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2014, 02:33:28 AM »

Ensure it is policed properly.
Organize the forum's discussions.
Promote events.
Debate FET.
Pick visual themes.
Request add-ons to enhance the forum's ability to discuss FET.
Elevate members to positions of authority or just rewarded titles.

Plenty of things.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2014, 02:37:05 AM »

Promote events.
Debate FET.
Pick visual themes.

Plenty of things.

Some of those things are really the job of the admins or the mods. There's no reason for us to get all up in their grill, yo. It would just be needless bureaucracy. Debating FET is by default. If we aren't active members of the society we would never get voted in. We are discussing eventually creating an official members position, but we've decided to hold off on that until the forum is larger. You can see all of this, and more, just by looking in the board.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2014, 02:46:12 AM »

Promote events.
Debate FET.
Pick visual themes.

Plenty of things.

Some of those things are really the job of the admins or the mods. There's no reason for us to get all up in their grill, yo. It would just be needless bureaucracy. Debating FET is by default. If we aren't active members of the society we would never get voted in. We are discussing eventually creating an official members position, but we've decided to hold off on that until the forum is larger. You can see all of this, and more, just by looking in the board.
You misunderstand.
Its your job to make sure the mods are doing their jobs.  So you get up in their grill when they aren't cooking the burgers.  Ya dig?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2014, 02:49:31 AM »
Its your job to make sure the mods are doing their jobs.
No, it's ours.