Offline AATW

• View Profile
Re: why would the government want to hide it if the earth was flat?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
This.

I consistently see Flat Earthers reference huge sums of money ($19 billion/year!!!; 52 million/day!!!1!), and claim that NASA keeps all of this money. What they fail to consider is the costs of the conspiracy. First, NASA spends much of its money on private/public contractors. These include Lockheed, Boeing, ESA, SpaceX, ULA, Aerojet Rocketdyne, etc. Billions are given to these companies to manufacture NASA's parts, and pay salaries. And, continuing with salaries, NASA needs to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to pay their own employees. NASA needs to pay for rocket fuel, to launch the rockets, maintain the facilities they use, fund research and development, pay for satellites, and so much more. The accusation that NASA could keep any of that money is ridiculous.
The point is, even if it did emerge that NASA had been lying to us all the time, we never went to the moon, the ISS is fake, they can't launch satellites into space, it's all a big racket.
Let's pretend all of that is true. That still doesn't prove the earth is round. What NASA and other space agencies are doing simply confirm what we've known for millennia, we're living on a globe.
Eratosthenes' famous stick experiment shows that. A possible alternative explanation is that the sun is much closer and nearer than supposed, but there are easy ways to verify that - take some measurements, do some triangulation. That is literally all they have to do.

To be a flat earther you have to start with the assumption that the earth is flat and then work everything around that. So when NASA come along and do their thing then that has to be explained away.
Although my satellite TV was working just fine last night, and that relies on a satellites which weren't put up by NASA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(satellite)#Manufacture_and_launch
So I guess they're "in on it" too?

Makes zero sense. And, to respond to the original post, I have no idea what the motive of any government would be to hide this great "truth" from us about the shape of the world.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »

That still doesn't prove the earth is round.

Don't you mean flat?
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
 :D

Yes I do...

Although let's pretend I meant round as in a disc is round.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline supaluminus

• Hi. I'm supe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 04:51:39 PM »
:D

Yes I do...

Although let's pretend I meant round as in a disc is round.

I've made this exact same Freudian slip a dozen times. Flat earthers LOOOOVE to pounce on it when it happens... in my experience.
When an honest man discovers that he is mistaken, either he will cease being mistaken...

... or he will cease being honest.

- a loyal slave to reason and doubt

Offline TheFoil

• I need help how do i create a topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »
I hear it a lot but I just don't understand, why would the government want to hide the truth from us?

Because it is not a lie the earth is flat. The government doesn't know yet
-TheFoil

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 03:55:44 AM »
I hear it a lot but I just don't understand, why would the government want to hide the truth from us?

Now, this is an interesting theory. I have to explore this one more. I wonder how they'd react if they found out it was flat, despite doing so many calculations based on a spherical earth.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »

Now, this is an interesting theory. I have to explore this one more. I wonder how they'd react if they found out it was flat, despite doing so many calculations based on a spherical earth.
Which government?