Seasons and Days in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: July 17, 2019, 10:29:31 AM »
In the FEM where the sun rotates around the North Pole, acting as a spotlight on the area of the earth where it is currently day (as in the animation below), I have a few questions about seasons and what we observe in the Southern Hemisphere

https://wiki.tfes.org/images/thumb/7/70/SunAnimation.gif/900px-SunAnimation.gif
https://wiki.tfes.org/images/a/a1/Seasons.png

In this model, where the Sun rotates further away from the NP in the southern summer (northern winter), we should observe it travelling with a higher speed across the sky as it has a much further distance to travel due to the longer circumference of its path. Why do we not see this, it strikes me that this should be easily observable

It has also been observed that the days get much longer in the southern summer as you travel south, with near 24 hour sunlight in the extreme south, the same as is seen in the arctic in June. How is this explained if the sun rotates to the opposite side of the earth every 12 hours? In the above model, as the sun travels outwards towards the southern edge the days would actually get shorter as the distance from the 'spotlight' sun is decreased

Some insight would be very much appreciated

Offline kopfverderber

• Atheist
    • View Profile
Re: Seasons and Days in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:36:01 PM »
Yes that FE model doesn't work at all with the southern hemisphere. I guess most FE folks  live on the northern hemisphere and they don't care. FE folk living in the southern hemisphere should definitely make their own map.
"What giants?" said Sancho Panza.

"Those thou seest there," answered his master, "with the long arms, and some have them nearly two leagues long."

"Look, your worship," said Sancho; "what we see there are not giants but windmills, and what seem to be their arms are the sails that turned by the wind make the millstone go."

dirtysnowball

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 08:41:37 PM »
It seems quite contradictory to me to be talking about 'flat Earth' in one sentence and then talking about the southern 'hemisphere' in the next. If the Earth was flat then there would be no such thing as either a northern or southern hemisphere as such. Rather there would be an inner section (lets call it northern part) and an outer section which would the south.

RE believers (roundies) spend most of the time pointing out the many inconsistencies of FE while FE believers equally dismiss the RE as fake/hoax/lies etc. You can't have both a spherical Earth and a flat Earth so one side must be wrong. But comparing the two side by side I don't think there is much doubt about which one describes the world and universe we live in more clearly and more accurately.  As long as FE theory struggles to explain the season and day patterns we all experience all over the world then it is not going to gain any more credibility.

I understand that FE believers have their own reasons for their beliefs. More often than not to make those beliefs work they have to re-invent the ways the Universe works and the basic laws of physics. RE works in pretty much the opposite way round. We don't 'force fit' nature to comply with our beliefs. What is the difference between believing and knowing?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:43:18 PM by dirtysnowball »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 09:14:28 AM »
inner section (lets call it northern part)
No, let's not. Hemiplanes already have a name and there's no need for you to invent a new one.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline kopfverderber

• Atheist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
inner section (lets call it northern part)
No, let's not. Hemiplanes already have a name and there's no need for you to invent a new one.

That is a weird name choice, considering hemi means half. I would have thought two halves of a plane would have the same area, but  in the FE maps I have seen the southern hemiplane seems to be 3 times bigger than the northern hemiplane.
"What giants?" said Sancho Panza.

"Those thou seest there," answered his master, "with the long arms, and some have them nearly two leagues long."

"Look, your worship," said Sancho; "what we see there are not giants but windmills, and what seem to be their arms are the sails that turned by the wind make the millstone go."

dirtysnowball

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
Sorry Pete. I haven't read the FE dictionary so I didn't know that hemiplane was a known word.

Outside of flat Earth circles (!?) it seems very few others have either! In any case it was just an illustrative statement so if you have your own word for the inner and outer sections of a circle then fair enough.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »
Apologies about the terminology, I also didn't know that.

Genuinely interested though, is there a FE explanation for these observations?

WJ

dirtysnowball

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:42:48 PM »
The definition of a hemiplane I have found is this

noun That part of a plane on one side of a straight line of the plane.

That is not exactly what I mean. If you take a circle and then draw another circle which is half way between the centre and the circumference you have an inner region between the centre of the larger circle and an outer region which lies between the circumference of the smaller circle and the larger circle. No straight lines involved.

So it seems that it is FET that has invented its own, alternative definition of the world hemiplane and not me.