Offline Binder

• View Profile
Do any flat earth believers use sattelite TV?
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
I wonder because if you point a sattelite dish into the sky near the equator you have to point it straight up. If you install one in New Jersey you point it South and up at a low angle. If you live in Florida you point it South and at a higher angle. If you live in South Africa you point it North. And on and on.

Question..

Why do you point a dish straight up at the Equator and at an extream angle at Greenland?

And...

Can we use trigonometry to determine the altitude of the sattelite?

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
Re: Do any flat earth believers use sattelite TV?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 02:40:18 PM »
Excellent question.

Any comments? I need to do the math....

Offline dave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 04:21:18 AM »
I understand that there are no satellites in orbit.....we use only ground base towers.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
Hi
Yes I know this is an old post.... :-)

I also have a query regarding the Satellite Hoax I find myself unable to resolve to date.

Considering the following data :

- Reception dishes point to South and just above the horizon level (when living on the Northern regions)

- Flat-Earthers insist that Digital TV signals are bouncing off the Ionopshere/Sky/Dome/Firmament

- Digital TV Signals can be found on the 10-12 GHz range (C Band, Ku Band)

- It has been demonstrated that "Skywave Propagation" only works well with 30-300 MHz signals. Beyond 320 MHz, drastic signal loss could be observed.

Please, could anyone answer these questions :

- Where do Digital TV signals exactly come from, on the reception dish side ?

- If they come from the Dome as reported by Flat-Earthers, then how is it technically possible to bounce 10-12 GHz waves off the Ionosphere with no loss ?

- If they come from "lighter than air balloons" (also known as stratellites) I would like to know how long they have been using this technology for, and at what altitude one can find them.

I may have other questions in store... :-)

Many thanks in anticipation,

MountZion

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 01:41:22 AM »
When you get down to it it seems that trigonometry is the bane of flat earth theory. All you need is a couple of friends on different parts of the world and a few $80 telescopes from Walmart and with trigonometry you can verify the shape of the Earth.

I think flat earthers should be putting a lot more work into attacking high school math.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 10:06:22 PM »
When you get down to it it seems that trigonometry is the bane of flat earth theory. All you need is a couple of friends on different parts of the world and a few $80 telescopes from Walmart and with trigonometry you can verify the shape of the Earth.

I think flat earthers should be putting a lot more work into attacking high school math.

Hey
The thing is I dont need to verify as I know the earth is flat... just trying to figure out how they finally made it with Digital TV.
At some point as many Flat-earthers, I imagined they used Skywave propagation...nice and easy... except that this method does not work with signals beyond 320 MHz !
So how do you do when your signal is 10 GHz ?
You still need satellites :

Take a look !  that's the trick :-)

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »

Hey
The thing is I dont need to verify as I know the earth is flat... just trying to figure out how they finally made it with Digital TV.
At some point as many Flat-earthers, I imagined they used Skywave propagation...nice and easy... except that this method does not work with signals beyond 320 MHz !
So how do you do when your signal is 10 GHz ?
You still need satellites :

Take a look !  that's the trick :-)

Oh you're trying to resolve the idea of getting radio signals from the sky with FE? First off I don't entirely understand why satellites are a problem in FE but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

I think I posted this elsewhere but here's a way you could make satellite TV fit with the whole no satellite thing: there are transmitters beyond the antarctic ice wall. The signal they broadcast is reflected off the dome so it only looks like it's coming from space.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »
You don't need satellites to watch satellite TV. It's like asking an atheist if they ever eat Miracle Whip then proclaiming that they believe in divine miracles if they do. Preposterous.

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 04:04:26 AM »
You don't need satellites to watch satellite TV. It's like asking an atheist if they ever eat Miracle Whip then proclaiming that they believe in divine miracles if they do. Preposterous.

I think you missed the point of this thread. If satellite TV doesn't use satellites, then how does it work?

Also, that's a horrible analogy. Miracle Whip is a brand name, and has nothing to do with miracles. Satellite TV is a descriptive name.