Regicide

Quoting concerns
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:31:16 AM »
I feel like the quoting system is flawed. If this works out, people could use it to make notable posters say whatever they please. There is a fact checking system, but how often does it check?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:36:27 AM by Regicide »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Quoting concerns
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:56:08 AM »
What exactly do you expect us to do about this? Have you never used a web forum before?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:17:28 AM »
I feel like the quoting system is flawed. If this works out, people could use it to make notable posters say whatever they please. There is a fact checking system, but how often does it check?

I mean, click on the link then, and see what it really says? Not too hard, and I'm not even a seasoned forumer..... if that's even a word.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
This "complaint" could be extended to any tag. You can write something that's untrue in bold

Code: [Select]
or inside the code frame.
The quote tag is no different - it's just a method of presenting text that users may or may not use in different ways. If someone chose to misuse it so flagrantly as to just pretend that someone has said something they haven't, this would be handled by the mods on a case-by-case basis. In practice, it pretty much doesn't happen.

forumer..... if that's even a word.
"Forumers" and "forumites" were in active use in the 2000s. As the Web went into its social-media-driven period of rapid decline, a lot of Internet slang died off.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 08:15:33 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:28:01 PM »
This problem is somewhat self-regulating because if someone is misquoted, then that someone is very likely to respond by saying "that's not what I said. I said..."    (yes, an endless loop of misquoting could ensure, but the first mod that sees this start to spiral can easily send it to the dungeon).

Regicide

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any sort of posting sandbox I can use to test BBC tags without actually posting?

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any sort of posting sandbox I can use to test BBC tags without actually posting?

AR (Angry Ranting) or CN (Complete Nonsense)
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein