Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1620 on: August 25, 2016, 05:35:50 AM »
Been watching Oz. (HBO 2007)

Finished one season. Was good. Second season good so far
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 26, 2016, 02:08:07 AM »
Oz was awesome. 
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 26, 2016, 04:08:44 AM »
It's a little over the top and some of the acting is kinda corny but I still love it so far. I feel like there's some great acting and some bad acting

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« Reply #1623 on: August 28, 2016, 01:08:32 AM »
I watched Oz when I was 13, think it debuted in 1997. Shit was savage.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 28, 2016, 05:23:01 PM »
Oh wow, I knew it was 1997 but i typed 2007.

Anyways yeah finishing up season 2, its really good still.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« Reply #1625 on: August 28, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
Oh wow, I knew it was 1997 but i typed 2007.

Anyways yeah finishing up season 2, its really good still.

We used to use the term "like a scene from Oz" for savage beatdowns in sports, or Goldeneye on N64... Usually referring to a rape or the scene where they light the guy on fire. You get it...

George

« Reply #1626 on: August 31, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »
Stranger Things (Season 1, 2016)

After I heard about how the entire Internet had fallen in love with this new show, I had to check it out for myself.  And while I'm definitely not among its most enthusiastic fans, it is a great show.  My problem with it, and the reason why it took me a while to get around to watching it, is that I think it starts a bit too slowly.  The first couple of episodes have a lot of more prosaic elements, like Winona Ryder not being given much to do beyond grieve, setting up a dumb love triangle among the teenage characters that I didn't care about, etc.  It wasn't until around the third or fourth episode that I was hooked, because it was then that the story really got going.  But maybe that's just me.  In any case, it's well worth the watch.  It's dark and twisted, but with a big heart underneath it all, has a solid cast playing a number of memorable and likable characters, and while the tropes and clichés it uses are derivative as all hell, you can respect them for being such a loving homage to the movies and TV shows of the eighties.

And now for my usual nitpick, where I criticize something very minor that doesn't really affect the overall quality of the product because I like to complain about things.  There are a few scenes - thankfully, not many - where Hopper has to rough people up and act like a stealthy action hero and oh my God are these moments fucking goofy.  During the break-in scene, for example, you can clearly see moments where any observant person would have noticed him sneaking around.  And then there's that scene that happens offscreen - three guys with their guns out, Hopper shows up, and after a few seconds of scuffling, he steps into frame triumphantly.  Lolwut?  How the fuck did he manage to take all three of them down without anyone so much as squeezing off a shot?  Did he get an assist from fucking Batman?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:49:15 PM by George »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 31, 2016, 08:35:02 PM »
And while I'm definitely not among its most enthusiastic fans

So like everything you ever watch or enjoy then...

But yes, it starts slow. That is a bit unfortunate because it's halfway over before it starts getting really good. Maybe that's part of the draw. I saw confirmation today that it's getting a 2nd season as well (with a whole one more episode this time).

Also, Hopper is a ninja. Everyone knows this.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: September 01, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »
Hopper is great.
But there are also plenty of theories about him considering he got in the car at the end.

Anyway, I didn't even notice that it started out slow? Maybe you guys are spoiled with capeshit. Will disappears pretty dramatically with the demogorgon, Eleven does crazy shit, you have the mysterious gub'mint, you briefly see the Upside Down when Barb disappears, etc.
I mean, if that's slow then what the fuck is Downton Abbey?

George

« Reply #1629 on: September 07, 2016, 03:07:40 AM »
Anyway, I didn't even notice that it started out slow? Maybe you guys are spoiled with capeshit. Will disappears pretty dramatically with the demogorgon, Eleven does crazy shit, you have the mysterious gub'mint, you briefly see the Upside Down when Barb disappears, etc.

Those moments are pretty cool, but they're few and far between in comparison to the mundane place-setting and character introductions.  To put it another way, I don't care about seeing the police combing the woods looking for Will when I already know that a monster abducted him.  And I don't care about Nancy's worries that Barb might have run away in response to her new social life when I already know that a monster abducted her.  The show takes too long for its characters to get up to speed on the supernatural going-ons, or even begin investigating what might lead to them.

Pacific Rim (Guillermo del Toro, 2013)

Good, but not great.  What really drags it down is Charlie Hunnam, who delivers an awful performance as the awful main character.  What a dull, bland, generic, and charisma-free Obligatory White Male Lead.  It doesn't help that Hunnam's attempt at putting on an American accent is laughably bad.  Why did the character even need to be American?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:45:54 AM by George »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« Reply #1630 on: September 07, 2016, 04:37:39 AM »
The Lobster

It was good, or so the Internet tells me. Plenty of classic cinematic elements, solid performances all the way around,  although you have to leave your ideas of real world social interaction at the door. The characters really sell the oddball dystopia they're living in. I had no idea what to expect going in, probably less of an idea upon conclusion. Definitely worth a watch; not sure if it's as good as the critics say.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: September 07, 2016, 12:13:51 PM »

Those moments are pretty cool, but they're few and far between in comparison to the mundane place-setting and character introductions.  To put it another way, I don't care about seeing the police combing the woods looking for Will when I already know that a monster abducted him.  And I don't care about Nancy's worries that Barb might have run away in response to her new social life when I already know that a monster abducted her.  The show takes too long for its characters to get up to speed on the supernatural going-ons, or even begin investigating what might lead to them.
But we see the torn hospital gown when they search for Will which is what sends Hopper on the gub'mint trail.
It's Jonathan's photos that prove the demagorgon exists but why would he randomly be taking pictures? He likes Nancy, but Nancy likes douchebag Steve. We see that the demagorgon is attracted to blood with Barb. Everything they did had purpose.

They're all up to speed by the 3rd or 4th episode. You want the characters to instantly know there are supernatural going-ons?

I would be interested in seeing something written and directed by Saddam. It would be terrible. There would be no build up, no characterization, just one blundering simple plot that takes off from the beginning and continues at break neck speed.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: September 07, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
I'm enjoying Stranger Things at the moment. It reminds me a lot of creepy old British horror series like Quartermass and the Pit and Sapphire and Steel but brought up-to-date..

I'm only three episodes in, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: September 14, 2016, 06:22:07 PM »
Just finished the first season of Peaky Blinders on Netflix.

The first episode is slow and the modern music makes no sense, but those are the only complaints I have since I was completely sucked in by the second ep.

Great cast, good story, simple motivations, and I even took note of the cinematography. It's pretty well framed and it does a good job of focusing on the actors' emotion rather than just dialogue and action. I'm not even attracted to Cillian Murphy, but he does such a good job of being the restrained, PTSD, war-boy that you just wanna take care of the bb. And I absolutely believe the chemistry between him and the female love interest, who is just as interesting as he is with her own plot-line.

Communists, shell-shock, opium, gang violence, industrialism, corruption, IRA, etc. So much to pull from but none of it is over the top or cheesy.

It's totally my kind of show, but I love period dramas - especially if they're English.
Carter describes it as a slower version of Boardwalk Empire, but I've never seen that so I dunno. I tend to think HBO shows are overdone and cheesy, so I guess it just depends on how you like your pacing.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: September 16, 2016, 07:31:38 AM »

Top show!

The soundtrack is about atmosphere, grit, menace & melancholy, Nick Cave & Tom Waits, what's not to like. I'm glad they didn't try to match the music to the times.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: September 16, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »
Nick Cave and Tom Waits for the soundtrack? Really?

brb torrenting the show
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: September 16, 2016, 11:23:13 AM »

Not enough Tom to be honest, quite a few White stripes though.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: September 16, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »
The soundtrack is about atmosphere, grit, menace & melancholy, Nick Cave & Tom Waits, what's not to like. I'm glad they didn't try to match the music to the times.
I know what it's going for but it just makes me giggle every time. It pulls me out of the show with the jarring incongruity. On it's own, the music is good stuff, but with 1920 England - nah.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: September 16, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me + The Missing Pieces (dir. David Lynch)

FWWM gets, or at least got a lot of shit when it came out, for two main reasons. Firstly, it isn't a two-hour episode of Twin Peaks; secondly, it doesn't conclude the season 2 cliffhanger, a direct continuation of which probably won't ever happen (the upcoming third season will pick up the story a full 25 years after the second, though series co-creator Mark Frost has written a book about some of the things that occurred during the gap). The story mostly concerns the last week of Laura Palmer's life, and this leads into the opening of the original series pretty much seamlessly, but the tone is much darker, the violence and sexuality are much more explicit, and the result is decidedly much closer to Lynch's more extreme material including Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and even Inland Empire.

This is my second time seeing the film, and while my response the first time was pretty lukewarm, I really loved the film this time around. Coming off the back of watching the original series for the second time as well, a lot of the just plain weird shit that goes down made a lot more sense to me. Both Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise give amazing performances as Laura and Leland Palmer, their ranges on full display from the comic to the terrifying, two major modes which dominate the film as a whole, but other series regulars, such as Dana Ashbrook, also deliver some excellent scenes. With The Missing Pieces, a 90 minute cut made entirely of deleted footage and extended scenes put together by Lynch in 2013, one also gets the sense of just how "Peaksy" the film was originally going to be, with extra scenes of Dale Cooper, Ed and Norma, the Briggs family, and a great comic scene with Lucy, Sherriff Truman, and Andy, as well as more scenes, both comic and disturbing, with the Palmer family. There's a fan edit which uses the original screenplay to put these new scenes in place, and the result is a 3.5 hour movie. I haven't seen that edit, but maybe someday it'd be cool to go back and check it out.

Overall, FWWM is full-on Lynch, and I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who has overlooked it to check it out. If you're interested in watching Twin Peaks, I'd say watch that first, because FWWM is a prequel, and while it does have quite a few differences, the main plot elements are intact, and you'll spoil the mystery for yourself if you watch FWWM first.

In the Mood for Love (dir. Wong Kar-Wai)

Hard to talk about in terms of plot, not because there isn't one, but because to bring that to the fore would be to sell its best features short. Like the title says, this is more about a mood than anything, and it achieves a great sense of atmospheric continuity through its slow gliding camera action, almost claustrophobic sets and framing, and a dreamy, melancholic sense of isolation. The performances are almost deadpan, but a sense of pained repression creeps through, and by the end it's all kind of empty in an affectingly tragic way, with some extremely low-key humour popping up in places here and there.

Ultimately it's a very a graceful piece of cinema which definitely shows rather than tells. Despite its 98 minute runtime, the pace might catch you off guard — this is actually my second attempt, because the first time I wasn't expecting it to be so slow and it put me off. But ease yourself into the slow rhythm and the low-key mood of the piece, and I think you'll find it amply rewarding of that patience.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« Reply #1639 on: September 19, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
Blair Witch (2016)

Holy shit this movie was awful. Do not see it under any circumstance.

I actually only saw the original a few weeks ago. While I didn't care for it overall, it had some redeeming qualities (such as being somewhat believable). The sequel doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Terrible. Just terrible.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:52:08 AM by junker »