Offline birddy

• View Profile
motive to say globe
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
i am newbie to FE /globe controversy,may anyone like to explain or list the motives to say our earth as globe? by authority, Gov, media or NASA whatever? thanks

Re: motive to say globe
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:01:03 AM »
Read "The crowd" by Lebon.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »

No controversy here, move on.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »
We don't want no trubel.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:43:56 PM »
https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Conspiracy

This does not explain the conspiracy of why "they" tell us the earth is round.  Only conspiracy is NASA and space travel.

What is the reasoning behind them telling us the earth is round?  I don't understand the motive or reasoning.  I do question NASA credibility, but round earth has been around long before NASA

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 09:38:24 PM »
What is the reasoning behind them telling us the earth is round?  I don't understand the motive or reasoning.  I do question NASA credibility, but round earth has been around long before NASA

Its the Devil.

Simples.
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

geckothegeek

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »
https://wiki.tfes.org/The_Conspiracy

This does not explain the conspiracy of why "they" tell us the earth is round.  Only conspiracy is NASA and space travel.

"They" want to hide "the fact that the earth is flat."

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »
"They" want to hide "the fact that the earth is flat."
No, they don't. Seriously, you need to stop lying to people.

As the article states, there is no conspiracy directly trying to pretend the Earth is one shape or another. Those who chose to set up fake space programs had to settle on something to create their imagery with. Since round Earth was the dominant belief of the time, they doubled down on it. Regardless of whether they realise their error now, it would be pretty difficult to change course.

Offline birddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
so from the information, seems NASA itself also don't know the real shape of earth, just pick up the commonly prevalent acknowledged shape globe as the shape?
but i would raise a question,1. does the photography and computer graphic technology in 1950-60 advanced enough to fake making any photos of earth shape and moon landing ?

another question 2.: does USSR and CHINA cooperate with NASA to play such fake making program about earth shape and moon or Mars landings etc?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
so from the information, seems NASA itself also don't know the real shape of earth, just pick up the commonly prevalent acknowledged shape globe as the shape?
That's right. Or, at least, they didn't know it when they first started.

but i would raise a question,1. does the photography and computer graphic technology in 1950-60 advanced enough to fake making any photos of earth shape and moon landing ?
Probably. Keep in mind that the government and military tend to have access to technology much sooner than the private sector, and the photographs aren't exactly of high quality.

another question 2.: does USSR and CHINA cooperate with NASA to play such fake making program about earth shape and moon or Mars landings etc?
I wouldn't say they're co-operating, but they all came out in public saying the Earth is round when observed from space. They can't really back off now.

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:41 AM »
Because the globe theory is the best there is. Namely:
1) it is not proven false
2) it explains pretty well what it is supposed to
3) it is relatively simple.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »

None of that screams unequivocal certainty to me.

My opinion is that the goal of any small powerful group aiming to take advantage of a much larger, but disadvantaged group is to make them feel small, or insignificant. You see it a lot in Soviet and Chinese architecture. To convince everyone that we are a happy little accident on a speck of dust in a Universe too vast to comprehend is really the ultimate realization of that. In the very least, it seeks to remove any empowerment one may gain in the knowing that he is a creature of divine origin, that is very literally a part of The Creator himself... whether or not you share this belief,  you must admit it still must have an effect on the Psyche. If there is a power to be had with the true knowledge of our lower selves and our higher selves, then it would be advantageous to attempt to horde that knowledge, don't you agree?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
of that screams unequivocal certainty to me.

My opinion is that the goal of any small powerful group aiming to take advantage of a much larger, but disadvantaged group is to make them feel small, or insignificant. You see it a lot in Soviet and Chinese architecture. To convince everyone that we are a happy little accident on a speck of dust in a Universe too vast to comprehend is really the ultimate realization of that. In the very least, it seeks to remove any empowerment one may gain in the knowing that he is a creature of divine origin, that is very literally a part of The Creator himself... whether or not you share this belief,  you must admit it still must have an effect on the Psyche. If there is a power to be had with the true knowledge of our lower selves and our higher selves, then it would be advantageous to attempt to horde that knowledge, don't you agree?

This is the only clear answer I've seen to the "why and who gains from this?" question.   Thanks
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »

Right. In the end, there are no unequivocal certainties in science. This is the difference between science and religion, and this is the main reason I usually try to avoid debating about science and religion at the same time.

I didn't say that the globe theory were right: I said that it is the best there is, and it surely better than the flat theory. But in the end, I cannot know for sure. We may live in a Matrix and cannot tell, because the Matrix itself prevents us from doing so, and within the Matrix the shape of the earth may be anything. I just don't believe that, because that theory is too complex, but I cannot prove it false.

Ok, I may agree.

So, let's assume that we have this small powerful group, that has an objective: to make people believe in theory X. Then, let's assume that this powerful group somehow, during their secret experiments, finds out that X is actually true.

Now, would that change the objective of the group? Hardly. Very few people lie just because of the joy of lying: lying is just a means to something else. If that something else can be accomplished without lying, all the better. So, the group would be all the more determined in their objective, that is to make people believe in X, and they would probably publish their experiments if that helped them to convince.

Shortly: even if a conspiracy existed, and even if it were proved that the conspiracy somehow profited from a certain belief, this alone would be no proof against that belief.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »

Right. In the end, there are no unequivocal certainties in science. This is the difference between science and religion, and this is the main reason I usually try to avoid debating about science and religion at the same time.

I didn't say that the globe theory were right: I said that it is the best there is, and it surely better than the flat theory. But in the end, I cannot know for sure. We may live in a Matrix and cannot tell, because the Matrix itself prevents us from doing so, and within the Matrix the shape of the earth may be anything. I just don't believe that, because that theory is too complex, but I cannot prove it false.

Ok, I may agree.

So, let's assume that we have this small powerful group, that has an objective: to make people believe in theory X. Then, let's assume that this powerful group somehow, during their secret experiments, finds out that X is actually true.

Now, would that change the objective of the group? Hardly. Very few people lie just because of the joy of lying: lying is just a means to something else. If that something else can be accomplished without lying, all the better. So, the group would be all the more determined in their objective, that is to make people believe in X, and they would probably publish their experiments if that helped them to convince.

Shortly: even if a conspiracy existed, and even if it were proved that the conspiracy somehow profited from a certain belief, this alone would be no proof against that belief.

Agree.   I think the discovery of FE would be more along the lines of the RE science discovery that Pluto was not alone out there and not really a planet per se.  There appear to be millions of small rocks way out there with some of them as large or larger than Pluto.   No need to hide it but let the world know.    But I get it that people think there is a "them".  Those sinister people that keep this to themselves for various reasons. 

I personally know people that believe...

The world is flat (ok a friend of a friend)
The world is run by the Illuminati
9-11 was the US government
9-11 was not caused by but known in advance by the US government
The moon landings were a hoax
The moon landings were not a hoax, but aliens told us not to come back
Sandy Hook and the Boston bombing were false flags
That a 2000-year-old Jewish zombie who was his own father is the key to everything (among other people with religious beliefs)
Trump is  Russian puppet
Hillary is honest (lol)
My own dear mother was convinced that all US democratic presidents were run by Moscow.  (50 Years before Trump)

I know of people that believe that the world is now controlled by shape shifting aliens

People believe some weird stuff with zero evidence and can't be persuaded no matter what logic is presented.  I read an article a few weeks ago where people were offered money to read articles that had opinions they agreed with or more money to read ones that had opposing views.  A large percentage chose less money.  Odd but true.

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?