Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #3240 on: September 15, 2018, 09:18:11 PM »
Guys, Tom is complaining that no one took the time to analyze every death in Puerto Rico and determine if it was preventable pre-storm, not that people died as a result of the storm.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #3241 on: September 15, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
Surely no political motivations and no less reliable than "Hillary has a 98% chance of defeating Donald Trump" !

How about they just stick to facts and report ACTUAL fatalities?

They reported those, but the other 2,900 people dying is relevant. It’s like reporting only the people on the plane in 911 died because the rest of the people died from a building collapsing, not a plane crash.

Except that the 911 death toll is based on real deaths and are not merely based on a statistical model of people who "should" have died.

It’s not merely based on a statistical model so perhaps you should discuss what the facts of the matter are. Either that or look up what the word “merely” actually means because maybe you just aren’t communicating clearly. Either way your statement is false. The report looked at the number of deaths over a specific time period, compared it to a number of historical data and then projected, likely with admitted uncertainty what the additional deaths caused by this event were. Is it possible they are wrong? Sure, but considering how reasonable their postulates are, it seems more unlikely that the additional deaths were not from a major weather event than not. But I know you are just using this argument out of convenience because you cite statistics often without any sort of apparent scepticism like this.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: September 25, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #3243 on: September 25, 2018, 04:48:49 PM »
What did he say? I couldn’t even understand him. Something like, “America’s so true.”

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: September 25, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
Surely no political motivations and no less reliable than "Hillary has a 98% chance of defeating Donald Trump" !

They reported those, but the other 2,900 people dying is relevant. It’s like reporting only the people on the plane in 911 died because the rest of the people died from a building collapsing, not a plane crash.

Except that the 911 death toll is based on real deaths and are not merely based on a statistical model of people who "should" have died.

It’s not merely based on a statistical model so perhaps you should discuss what the facts of the matter are. Either that or look up what the word “merely” actually means because maybe you just aren’t communicating clearly. Either way your statement is false. The report looked at the number of deaths over a specific time period, compared it to a number of historical data and then projected, likely with admitted uncertainty what the additional deaths caused by this event were. Is it possible they are wrong? Sure, but considering how reasonable their postulates are, it seems more unlikely that the additional deaths were not from a major weather event than not. But I know you are just using this argument out of convenience because you cite statistics often without any sort of apparent scepticism like this.

It's more like saying Hurricane Katrina is still killing people to this very day, because it caused them to move somewhere else and then something bad happened to them. I'm sure we're still adding to the death toll of Katrina and telling Bush what a terrible job he did, because this is definitely how cause and effect works as long as I pedantically stretch it out as far as possible. Died weeks or months after the hurricane hit? Surely this was the hurricane's fault, and not Puerto Rico's corrupt government and shoddily managed infrastructure.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:57:15 PM by Rushy »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: September 25, 2018, 05:42:48 PM »
What did he say? I couldn’t even understand him. Something like, “America’s so true.”
He said that his administration had achieved more in 2 years than almost any other. They fell around laughing, that’s when he said it was “so true”

Trump and reality are not happy bedfellows.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #3246 on: September 25, 2018, 08:31:28 PM »
He said that his administration had achieved more in 2 years than almost any other. They fell around laughing, that’s when he said it was “so true”

Trump and reality are not happy bedfellows.
Seemed like they started laughing after he said “So true” in a sort of humorous way.

Rama Set

« Reply #3247 on: September 25, 2018, 08:33:26 PM »

It's more like saying Hurricane Katrina is still killing people to this very day, because it caused them to move somewhere else and then something bad happened to them. I'm sure we're still adding to the death toll of Katrina and telling Bush what a terrible job he did, because this is definitely how cause and effect works as long as I pedantically stretch it out as far as possible. Died weeks or months after the hurricane hit? Surely this was the hurricane's fault, and not Puerto Rico's corrupt government and shoddily managed infrastructure.
Ehhh, no, I don’t think I can agree to that without some sort of substance. Just sounds like you are being ultra-cynical. If a natural disaster destroys infrastructure and that lack of infrastructure increases the number of deaths occurring it seems pretty reasonable to attribute part of that to the natural disaster.

Rama Set

« Reply #3248 on: September 25, 2018, 08:35:00 PM »

Ehhh, no, I don’t think I can agree to that without some sort of substance. Just sounds like you are being ultra-cynical. If a natural disaster destroys infrastructure and that lack of infrastructure increases the number of deaths occurring it seems pretty reasonable to attribute part of that to the natural disaster.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »

The fact that their infrastructure was damaged so badly was because their corrupt government continues to completely ignore vital components of their own island. An already existing problem was exacerbated by the hurricane and saying all those people died specifically because of the hurricane is incorrect. Hawaii gets hit by powerful storms as well, but thousands of people don't die because, surprise, Hawaii doesn't have a shit government.

Rama Set

« Reply #3250 on: September 25, 2018, 09:34:27 PM »

The fact that their infrastructure was damaged so badly was because their corrupt government continues to completely ignore vital components of their own island. An already existing problem was exacerbated by the hurricane and saying all those people died specifically because of the hurricane is incorrect. Hawaii gets hit by powerful storms as well, but thousands of people don't die because, surprise, Hawaii doesn't have a shit government.

That’s simply not true. Hawaii has been hit by exactly two tropical storms and two hurricanes in the last 59 years. Most of this seems like you presenting factoids to be honest. Anyway, if the US doesn’t want to protect its protectorate maybe they should give it sovereignty?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: September 26, 2018, 01:00:28 AM »
That’s simply not true. Hawaii has been hit by exactly two tropical storms and two hurricanes in the last 59 years. Most of this seems like you presenting factoids to be honest. Anyway, if the US doesn’t want to protect its protectorate maybe they should give it sovereignty?

Puerto Rico has voted against its own independence several times...

Also, haha, what? Two tropical storms and two hurricanes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hawaii_hurricanes

And guess what, none of those resulted in thousands of people dead, because once again, Hawaii doesn't have a shit government. I don't understand why you're even defending Puerto Rico's incompetence in all this, and the fact that you made the comment "well we should give them sovereignty!!!11!!!" just goes to show that you really have no idea whatsoever about the political climate of Puerto Rico. Go read a book.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:09:07 AM by Rushy »

Rama Set

« Reply #3252 on: September 26, 2018, 02:07:48 AM »
Per your own link it’s now 3 tropical storms and 2 hurricanes that have made landfall since 1959. We have had worse storms in Ontario this year than Hawaii has suffered in six decades. You should read this stuff before saying “gotcha!”

I will probably always side with the folks that have massive loss of life before siding with the God Emperor until Incan be shown convincing evidence that the hurricane didn’t lead to a bunch of deaths. Even if it’s a quarter of what the report is saying, Trump’s still a callous douche. If the Puerto Rican government are also using disaster to win political points, fuck them too, but withholding aid is only punishing the people who had their lives turned upside down.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: September 26, 2018, 02:13:35 AM »
Per your own link it’s now 3 tropical storms and 2 hurricanes that have made landfall since 1959. We have had worse storms in Ontario this year than Hawaii has suffered in six decades. You should read this stuff before saying “gotcha!”

No one mentioned the word landfall except you, but great try at pedantic backpedaling. Also, lol, you get tropical storm force winds in Ontario? I don't think so. Keep in mind storm force winds have to be sustained winds, so don't try to meme me with "we had some pretty powerful wind gusts!"

I will probably always side with the folks that have massive loss of life before siding with the God Emperor until Incan be shown convincing evidence that the hurricane didn’t lead to a bunch of deaths. Even if it’s a quarter of what the report is saying, Trump’s still a callous douche. If the Puerto Rican government are also using disaster to win political points, fuck them too, but withholding aid is only punishing the people who had their lives turned upside down.

"I will always side with the people who have actually done something wrong before I side with a man who literally had nothing to do with anything regarding the consequences of a hurricane hitting Puerto Rico"

Truly incredible.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:19:31 AM by Rushy »

Rama Set

« Reply #3254 on: September 26, 2018, 02:41:43 AM »
No one mentioned the word landfall except you, but great try at pedantic backpedaling.

Oh yes, the severe impact of storms that never make landfall on Hawaii cannot be understated.  Also from the source that you clearly didn't read, "...rarely do these storms actually affect Hawaii."  It says that literally in the first paragraph.

Also, lol, you get tropical storm force winds in Ontario? I don't think so. Keep in mind storm force winds have to be sustained winds, so don't try to meme me with "we had some pretty powerful wind gusts!"

We had a tornado just last week. You should fire your research department, they suck at this.

"I will always side with the people who have actually done something wrong before I side with a man who literally had nothing to do with anything regarding the consequences of a hurricane hitting Puerto Rico"

Truly incredible.

Yes, how dare the people of Puerto Rico get hit by a hurricane. These people are clearly morally bankrupt. 

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: September 26, 2018, 04:57:35 AM »
Died weeks or months after the hurricane hit? Surely this was the hurricane's fault, and not Puerto Rico's corrupt government and shoddily managed infrastructure.

Well, yes. That's how it works. We don't subtract from the death tolls of disasters on the grounds of what we feel could have been avoided if the victims had received proper aid, or if the right preparations had been in place.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #3256 on: September 27, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »
How can your self awareness be so low? I had a good laugh and wanted to share the picture. I think this whole thing is a circus and it's just embarrassing.

presumption of innocence
Definition from Nolo’s Plain-English Law Dictionary
One of the most sacred principles in the American criminal justice system, holding that a defendant is innocent until proven guilty. In other words, the prosecution must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, each essential element of the crime charged.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/presumption_of_innocence

iiiiiiiiiin the laaaaaaaaaaand of the-e freeeeeeeee, and the hoooooooome of the-e braaaaaaaave.
(Only joking greatest ally pls no nuke.)

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: September 27, 2018, 01:32:52 PM »
Oh yes, the severe impact of storms that never make landfall on Hawaii cannot be understated.  Also from the source that you clearly didn't read, "...rarely do these storms actually affect Hawaii."  It says that literally in the first paragraph.

It also means a category 1 hurricane can do serious damage without actually making landfall, but I guess that's a bit complicated for you.

We had a tornado just last week. You should fire your research department, they suck at this.

"Tornadoes striking a local area is the same thing as tropical storm force winds striking thousands of square miles" - Rama Set

Yes, how dare the people of Puerto Rico get hit by a hurricane. These people are clearly morally bankrupt.

Yes, if only Trump had been there to personally save them from themselves and their own corrupt government.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: September 27, 2018, 03:33:26 PM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: September 27, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/27/president-trump-cites-chinas-respect-for-his-very-very-large-brain.html

haha what the fuck

Its a minor quote bite from aconservative think tank rep. While on Fox News.

Also, they love and respect Trump while hating him.  He really does not understand how people work.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.