Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 update
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 03:24:45 AM »
But here's what a surface Pro will do that an ipad won't:
Connect to a windows domain.  Access to files, webpages, printers, and any special software you need to monitor your servers. 
Are you suggesting that there are no SMB or VNC type clients for iOS?  Also, a lot of newer printers can AirPrint.

Also, what does any of this have to do with the terribleness of the Windows 8.1 upgrade process?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:26:30 AM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »
But here's what a surface Pro will do that an ipad won't:
Connect to a windows domain.  Access to files, webpages, printers, and any special software you need to monitor your servers. 
Are you suggesting that there are no SMB or VNC type clients for iOS?  Also, a lot of newer printers can AirPrint.

Also, what does any of this have to do with the terribleness of the Windows 8.1 upgrade process?
Vnc on the iPad is slow.  And  you can't transfer files for offline viewing easily. 
Air print works great if you buy printers that support it.  Most businesses do not.  Plus air print for iPad does not support Ethernet connected printers.

I was replying to the terrible mess of tablets that Thork has moved the discussion into.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Get a laptop for generating content (MS office, visual studio, whatever it is you do on a laptop that can't be done on a tablet)

When I did exactly this, you told me to get a tablet.

I think you just like telling people they're wrong.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »
iPad ... has a store of 750,000 apps. And it looks nice!

The Surface Pro has a pathetic 5 hours of battery. 720 video, 720 cameras. The screen is long and skinny.  Its dreadful.

I find it interesting that you didn't mention how many applications are available for Windows.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Rama Set

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »
July 2nd, windows store hit 100,000 apps

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
July 2nd, windows store hit 100,000 apps

Nobody uses Windows Store.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »
I hate windows 8 so much. Why are they trying to make my computer like a smart
phone
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
phone
Because touchscreen is the FUTURE
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
phone
They don't. The "smartphone" functions are optional.

It's like saying Linux is like a smartphone OS if it's running GNOME.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
phone
Because touchscreen is the FUTURE
This.

Computers have been a media center for the last two decades now.  The majority look at pictures, surf the web, maybe upload their home movies, and type a report.  Gaming is largely centered around Facebook games and for the people who do play PC games rather than their console counterpart, you're the minority.

With that said the tablet has become the device to do those things on.  It let's you sit on your couch and watch cat videos on YouTube instead of having to sit at your computer or to have a laptop.

Tablets will become the new home PC.  So Microsoft is just going with the flow.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
With that said the tablet has become the device to do those things on.  It let's you sit on your couch and watch cat videos on YouTube instead of having to sit at your computer or to have a laptop.

Tablets will become the new home PC.  So Microsoft is just going with the flow.
You have made the same mistake that Microsoft have made. They looked at the trend for desktop PCs and decided in 10 years no one will have one if they follow the sales graphs.

But the market did not die. It merely split in half. There are people that generate content and people that absorb content. If you want to absorb content, you get a tablet. Light, easy to use, made for idiots. But if you want to make something, you need a PC.

Employers don't want their staff sat on beanbags mindlessly swiping and poking tablets all day. They want them sat at a desk being productive. Microsoft have completely missed this and are busy shooting themselves in the foot. So much so that my office only has Macs in it. Companies are leaving Microsoft because MS don't know what they are doing.

They should have made 2 OS systems like Apple do. One for tablets/phones, one for PCs. Trying to make windows 8 all things to all men was incredibly dumb. The result is no one is happy.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
But the market did not die. It merely split in half. There are people that generate content and people that absorb content. If you want to absorb content, you get a tablet. Light, easy to use, made for idiots. But if you want to make something, you need a PC.

No.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »
When I did exactly this, you told me to get a tablet.

I think you just like telling people they're wrong.
While, ironically, being wrong. It's Thork, it's what he does.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2014, 01:44:06 AM »
Plus air print for iPad does not support Ethernet connected printers.
???  Ummm...  I don't think that you understand how air print works.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 03:32:09 AM »
Plus air print for iPad does not support Ethernet connected printers.
???  Ummm...  I don't think that you understand how air print works.
I thought so too.  So I re-read the apple support site and now I understand my mistake. 

I thought they wrote that it only works in OS X, not that it also works in OS X.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2014, 05:02:14 AM »
You have made the same mistake that Microsoft have made. They looked at the trend for desktop PCs and decided in 10 years no one will have one if they follow the sales graphs.

But Thork, what about the infallible wisdom of Google Trends?

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=desktop%2C%20tablet

The interest in desktops has fallen dramatically and the interest in tablets has skyrocketed!  How can you say that Microsoft isn't literally gazing into the future with their business decisions?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2014, 11:47:22 AM »
but sadaam, people already know enough about desktops so no one ever does any google searches about them
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2014, 06:09:03 PM »
but sadaam, people already know enough about desktops so no one ever does any google searches about them

No, Google Trends objectively measures the universal interest in anything.