Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: First Look at Ben Affleck's Batman
« Reply #280 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
I really just think it's the wide eyed smile he has going on.
Nicholson had that too, but Ledger did not. A wide eyed smile is always unsettling.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 15, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
I think the only thing that makes him look mad/crazy/scary/whatever is his lack of eyebrows. Yet it's probably the feature of this joker I dislike the most. Well, maybe besides the tattoos.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
I think the only thing that makes him look mad/crazy/scary/whatever is his lack of eyebrows. Yet it's probably the feature of this joker I dislike the most. Well, maybe besides the tattoos.
This guy with eyebrows is still weird as fug.

He was also the third option for "manic face" search. I got a few other wide eyed smiles. Horrifying.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2015, 05:19:50 PM »
Now picture him without eyebrows.
The Mastery.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 15, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
So the director is admitting that it will be the same as the comic with exception of the events of Man of Steel that they are trying to shoe horn into this unoriginal sniper rifle-weilding Batman movie. Got it.
Tom, since when is TDKR the origin story of the Justice League?

They are cribbing the plot nearly exactly. A dead Robin, a Batman coming out of retirement, the nuke, the emp, the horses, a sniper rifle-wielding Batman, the Joker, a scene where large parts of Gotham are on fire, human factions aligning themselves with superheroes, Batman's super suit. Totally unoriginal. We saw that story already, 30 years ago. The fact that they are shoehorning in the events of Man of Steel and are forcing Wonder Woman and Aqua Man into it for the sole purpose of cashing in on future movies doesn't make it breathtakingly original.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:58:55 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »
The Wizard of Oz is also an adaptation. Discuss.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2015, 05:59:02 PM »

The director can't even find the creative ability to remove the scene with Batman holding firearms. That was the old Batman, from a generation ago. This director clearly doesn't know anything about the character. But I guess we can't expect much from a man who built his career retelling old stories written by others.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2015, 06:03:23 PM »
Now picture him without eyebrows.
I don't want to, I'm scared.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »

The director can't even find the creative ability to remove the scene with Batman holding firearms. That was the old Batman, from a generation ago. This director clearly doesn't know anything about the character. But I guess we can't expect much from a man who built his career retelling old stories written by others.

It's some kind of rope gun, not a bullet shooting gun.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2015, 06:18:53 PM »

It's some kind of rope gun, not a bullet shooting gun.

In the DKR comic he also uses it to blow a couple of police helicopters out of the sky in his disagreement with the police.

The old Batman also has used guns many times over the years.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:23:06 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2015, 07:18:21 PM »
POKITAPOKITAPOKITAPOKITAPOKITAPOKITAPOKITAPO
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2015, 07:22:28 PM »
Those were stolen helicopters, being used by Two-Face in his plan to bomb the city, and Batman's rifle just fired a grappling hook so that he could reach the helicopter.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 15, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »
One-armed Green Arrow
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 15, 2015, 07:35:28 PM »

Tom, I hate to break it to you, but retelling old stories written by others is what Hollywood does.  The real question is: how well can that story be retold?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 16, 2015, 11:40:59 AM »
I like the look of Leto's Joker, there's something very... unsettling about him.

Is it the "I'm unsettling" tattoo on his shoulder?

No, I think it's the mania he portrays. With Nicholson or Ledger's Joker, I might get blown up by them, or tortured for a bit if they got in my way, with Leto I get the feeling that anyone could have rather unpleasant things happen to them entirely at his whim. Ledger would cut your face and leave you as a mocking token for Batman whereas Leto might keep up the inventive torture until he got bored of you.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #295 on: July 17, 2015, 11:18:09 PM »
I shall now respond to this tomfoolery:

Not just the courtroom scene, but the fact that a large source of the film's conflict seems to be Superman's role in the chaos of the last one.

but you think it is a logical consequence of the action of MoS. why won't your grant that ZS came to the same conclusion?  Christopher Nolan is lurking nearby and he is also fairly smart. I feel like you are getting wound up in your own bias against this franchise.

Because if Snyder had always intended the climax of MoS to be so controversial and objectionable, I don't believe that he would have left the subject entirely unaddressed before the movie was over. 

It's fine if you don't believe it but that does not make it true.

You don't deliberately send the audience home on a bad note with a promise that you'll clear everything up with a sequel in a few years.

The movie generally received positive reviews so this "bad note" business is your own baggage.   

I think it's much more likely that Snyder just wanted a cool, action-packed climax that showed off all sorts of awesome effects of dudes punching each other through buildings and leveling a major city, and Superman doing less cool things like trying to limit the damage or protect innocent people simply didn't figure into his vision.  It wouldn't be the first time that he got carried away with effects at the expense of the story.

I think it is much more likely that Snyder did not write the film and did not have final cut approval which would mean that the ending was not ultimately his choice. Considering that film's often leave plot and thematic points unresolved for pending sequel, it actually seems likely that that would be saved for a future movie. Especially if there was enough material to fill an entire act more or less of a film.

P.S. I watched MoS again this week. It is still good.

After reconsidering, I'm actually going to concede this point.  When you break it down, my argument was essentially, "I think this was a bad idea, therefore they wouldn't do it," which is obviously silly.  And you're quite right that Snyder wasn't the only person responsible for this movie - Nolan and Goyer were also heavily involved, and something that the two of them made very clear during the Dark Knight trilogy and (to a slightly lesser extent) MoS is that they like to use dialogue to highlight the issues they're covering.  They're not into subtle social commentary.  Now, I obviously have a lot of issues with the pacing and writing of MoS, so I don't necessarily agree with the way they're going about this, but I'm willing to believe that they always intended to dramatically explore the consequences of the film's climax.

However, the quote from Snyder that started all this, where he mischaracterizes the Marvel movies as people making jokes about how nobody gets hurt, still annoys me a little.  I'm not going to knock these guys for criticizing the Marvel movies, or thinking that they're making better movies than them, as that would of course be pretty dumb of me.  But comments like this, along with Greg Silverman's distinction between superhero movies and "movies about superheroes," make me worry that WB doesn't fully understand why their competition has been so successful, and that in their haste to differentiate themselves from Marvel, they've set the bar much too low for themselves.  Simply giving these movies a dark, somber tone and dwelling on lots of people getting killed won't automatically make them smarter, deeper, more complex, or more deconstructive than Marvel's films.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:02:14 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 18, 2015, 12:13:52 AM »
I don't like that joker either.  The metal just... ewww.

Granted, I thought Heath Ledger's joker looked like a hobo during the trailers so my judgement isn't that great.

But I see the joker as someone who tries to make jokes.  Horrible, evil jokes, but jokes none the less.  Someone who should be trying to be funny, damnit.

Like "Don't worry, I'm not gonna kill you.  Unless you ask really nicely."  He's an abusive psychopath who doesn't torture you in the traditional sense just for the sake of making you scream but rather because it would be funny/ironic. 

Like making someone who stole drugs from him eat said drugs while strapped to a chair and having the joker make little airplane noises as he spoon feeds the guy.
Or having batman eaten by rabid bats.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #297 on: July 18, 2015, 12:18:29 AM »
@ Saddam: Fair enough. If B v S is just a colorless Avengers it will likely suck.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2015, 10:06:19 AM »
I don't like that joker either.  The metal just... ewww.

Granted, I thought Heath Ledger's joker looked like a hobo during the trailers so my judgement isn't that great.

But I see the joker as someone who tries to make jokes.  Horrible, evil jokes, but jokes none the less.  Someone who should be trying to be funny, damnit.

Like "Don't worry, I'm not gonna kill you.  Unless you ask really nicely."  He's an abusive psychopath who doesn't torture you in the traditional sense just for the sake of making you scream but rather because it would be funny/ironic. 

Like making someone who stole drugs from him eat said drugs while strapped to a chair and having the joker make little airplane noises as he spoon feeds the guy.
Or having batman eaten by rabid bats.
They obviously don't want him to be funny in their dark end serious cinematic universe.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #299 on: July 24, 2015, 03:26:58 AM »
[Harley's] get-up here looks fucking trashy. She never wore crap like this in other media.

It looks like they took a lot of influence from her depictions in the Arkham games, particularly the two-toned pigtails.  It's not that much of a stretch, really.