Trying to be respectful
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
I want to be respectful, and demonstrate a but of patience with this subject. I have been exposed this most recently by some muscian who is absolutely convinced that the world is flat. So much so he intends to launch his own GoPRO into orbit and get visual evidence that it is in fact flat.

I am sorry to say this for all of you that believe this but this is a colossal waste of time on something that was proven centuries ago. Let me ask a few obvious questions:

1) If the Earth is flat, then is the moon flat too?

2) Are all celestial bodies flat including our Sun?

3) If they are not why in the universe are we the only flat planet?

4) How can you possibly square this with basic astrophysics?

There is so much evidence to dispute and disprove this foolish theory yet you persist. Government coverup? what?? seriously? Why why would this be so important to keep a secret for all these centuries and also to propagate a lie that the earth is round? Even if I wanted to believe this as much as everyone that joins this society, science of the planets and solar system just completely debunks these thoughts.

So that leaves only one question. I am not getting this? Is the whole point of this to have a bit of fun? That you really do not take this seriously, and are laughing at all of us who think you all actually do take this seriously? Please enlighten me because if you really do believe in this then we are in big trouble.

Re: Trying to be respectful
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »
I want to be respectful, and demonstrate a but of patience with this subject. I have been exposed this most recently by some muscian who is absolutely convinced that the world is flat. So much so he intends to launch his own GoPRO into orbit and get visual evidence that it is in fact flat.

I am sorry to say this for all of you that believe this but this is a colossal waste of time on something that was proven centuries ago. Let me ask a few obvious questions:

1) If the Earth is flat, then is the moon flat too?

2) Are all celestial bodies flat including our Sun?

3) If they are not why in the universe are we the only flat planet?

4) How can you possibly square this with basic astrophysics?

There is so much evidence to dispute and disprove this foolish theory yet you persist. Government coverup? what?? seriously? Why why would this be so important to keep a secret for all these centuries and also to propagate a lie that the earth is round? Even if I wanted to believe this as much as everyone that joins this society, science of the planets and solar system just completely debunks these thoughts.

So that leaves only one question. I am not getting this? Is the whole point of this to have a bit of fun? That you really do not take this seriously, and are laughing at all of us who think you all actually do take this seriously? Please enlighten me because if you really do believe in this then we are in big trouble.
Most of these are answered in the FAQ wiki as basic questions. Feel free to look through it. I will however provide what I can.

1. No, the moon is observed to be round.

2. Unlikely, some hypothesize this, but it's not 'mainstream FE' as most do still believe it's a sphere.

3. Simple, the Earth isn't a planet.

4. In what way? You'll have to be more specific here, sorry.

FES doesn't believe there's a conspiracy to make us believe the Earth is round, but rather one to fake space flight and everyone is simply mistaken about the shape of the Earth. The fake NASA etc images are created based on the mistaken belief of a globe Earth.

Offline rgr331

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
FES doesn't believe there's a conspiracy to make us believe the Earth is round, but rather one to fake space flight and everyone is simply mistaken about the shape of the Earth. The fake NASA etc images are created based on the mistaken belief of a globe Earth.

Does this mean that pictures of a round earth taken “from space” are proof that space travel is fake?

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »

Does this mean that pictures of a round earth taken “from space” are proof that space travel is fake?
I suppose that's one way to look at it from the mind of a lot of FE people. Although many also don't think space is possible to reach, and at least some have even dismissed high altitude balloon shots that show curvature with "Clearly what you are seeing as curvature is just the edge of the sun's spotlight."

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:42:34 AM »

Now this is interesting. He proposes to orbit a satellite around , above, sorry, a flat earth. I can't help but wonder what orbital path he will work out and, more importantly, exactly how he will accomplish the task.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:58:55 AM »
I don't see any reason not to orbit a flat earth on first thought unless it's infinite in size. If you ask me to get really theoretical, sure I find problems like gravity/acceleration. But there's no reason the flat earth couldn't be circumscribed with space flight, is there?
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

Offline Scroogie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »
I don't see any reason not to orbit a flat earth on first thought unless it's infinite in size. If you ask me to get really theoretical, sure I find problems like gravity/acceleration. But there's no reason the flat earth couldn't be circumscribed with space flight, is there?

Truthfully, neither do I (see any reason not to orbit a flat earth), but he'll be likely to use calculations intended for a flat earth, which ain't gonna get him where he wants to go. Alternatively, he uses real world calculations and gets into orbit, thereby proving the earth to be a sphere.