Rama Set

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - contains spoilers
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:52 PM »
That's just, like, his opinion, man, and it really only makes sense if you're thinking of the Jedi as being limited to humans. It's hard to imagine a more clumsy and random combat strategy than Yoda turning himself into a hairy pinball.

Plus it’s dumb for Yoda to duel like that anyway. The force, by how own words is for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »
Also, the Phantom Menace is not only the worst Star Wars movie's ever, it is one of the worst movie's ever, full stop.  I am not going to sit here and tell anyone that A New Hope is a cinematic masterpiece, but it at least had a solid story.  The Phantom Menace is basically gobbledigook and it still has to answer for introducing Jar Jar Binks to the world.

Ep.1 is a bad movie, but it's not much worse than a lot of kid-friendly sci-fi action films of the nineties. It has some genuinely good moments like the Maul fight and at least clips along at a fast enough pace that, even if it's forgettable, isn't actively tedious.

Attack of the Clones is much worse. it has basically everything that was bad about TPM, but because it's wearing its big-boy-serious pants, the whole thing becomes a bloated, sluggish, tedious mess from beginning to end.

Rama Set

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
Also, the Phantom Menace is not only the worst Star Wars movie's ever, it is one of the worst movie's ever, full stop.  I am not going to sit here and tell anyone that A New Hope is a cinematic masterpiece, but it at least had a solid story.  The Phantom Menace is basically gobbledigook and it still has to answer for introducing Jar Jar Binks to the world.

Ep.1 is a bad movie, but it's not much worse than a lot of kid-friendly sci-fi action films of the nineties. It has some genuinely good moments like the Maul fight and at least clips along at a fast enough pace that, even if it's forgettable, isn't actively tedious.

Attack of the Clones is much worse. it has basically everything that was bad about TPM, but because it's wearing its big-boy-serious pants, the whole thing becomes a bloated, sluggish, tedious mess from beginning to end.

Perhaps the set of kids 90s sci-fi movies are amongst the worst ever then? I find by the time I get to the pod race I want it all to end. Yes the Darth Maul duel is well choreographed but other than having cool horns and a double light saber there isn’t much to attach me to Maul. He doesn’t talk and doesn’t do anything other than ambush them and FIGHT! So in that respect, it is a bad piece of cinema. A very well-choreographed set piece, but still mostly filler.

You may be right about it being better than ATC though. Rapey-Hayden is so bad and the rest of the story is only sort of ok. The droid factory feels like a concept film for a side-scrolling video game adventure and they end up in a war far easier than anyone could have imagined.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 04:45:28 AM »
So am I the only one that thought the Darth Maul fight was extremely boring, then? Like, this fight?

Aside from just the first exchange when Obi-Wan gets mad, they basically kinda slap their lightsabers together, do a few flips, and jump really high. It still comes off as a super lazy and dull fight to me, unless there's a layer of complexity I'm missing.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 07:22:43 PM »
Well, no, not that fight. That clip is blurry, discolored, and has been incomprehensibly edited and chopped-up. This is the actual fight:

It still isn't very good, though. Like Rama pointed out, we don't know anything about Maul. He has only a few minutes of screen time, no discernible character, and he's abruptly dropped into the movie for a boss fight. The rapidly-changing setting also really bugs me. Isn't this fight supposed to be taking place in the main hangar? Then where are all these crisscrossing walkways, giant pits of doom, pillars of light, and laser doors coming from? This is an issue with most of the action scenes from the prequels. I feel like Lucas thought that people would be bored with fighting in one room or one distinct location - or maybe he himself was - so he'd have the combatants constantly running to new "cool" places to fight, almost like an MK stage transition. That leaves the audience with no real grasp of the geography of the fight, and more importantly, with their attention focused on the environment rather than the characters.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:06:37 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »
Oh, okay, that does have a few more flips, nice. But yeah I don't know what the fuck was wrong with the one I posted. Oops.

Anyway, that fight is still boring. There's one more scene that's got neat choreography (at the start), but the rest is dull. Also yeah what you said.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 04:16:38 AM »
The weird backlash from an angry contingent of SW fanboys against this movie is still going strong several months later, to the degree that poor Kelly Marie Tran has fled social media, presumably due to constant abuse. It's insane, and I say this as somebody who had some pretty big issues with the movie. Look at this stupid shit, for example:

Nobody gives a shit about Ackbar as a character. He's a meme who's known for saying that funny line once. The ramming scene wouldn't have been nearly as poignant with a stupid fishman puppet starring in it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 05:05:29 AM »
I blame Trump.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »
I would have preferred Ackbar, it keeps the dramatic circumstances tighter and we could have alleviated the movie of Laura Dern’s existence. Win-win. The moment couldn’t possibly have been more ineffective with ackbar.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »
I would have preferred Ackbar, it keeps the dramatic circumstances tighter and we could have alleviated the movie of Laura Dern’s existence. Win-win. The moment couldn’t possibly have been more ineffective with ackbar.

HISHE did thst.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS?  ITS.  A.  TRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!"
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
Yeah, that's why people would have liked it. Because of the meme.

The moment couldn’t possibly have been more ineffective with ackbar.

With a ridiculous puppet doing the acting instead of a talented actress?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
"DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS?  ITS.  A.  TRRRAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!"
That would actually be fantastic.

With a ridiculous puppet doing the acting instead of a talented actress?
Yes. No disrespect to the actress, but she has been inserted into the movie by force, with seemingly no good justification. Was inserting her character out of nowhere an attempt at appeasing the unappeasable SJW? Maybe, maybe not. But it certainly didn't help the movie.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »
Guys, Ackbar should have walked into the room, turned to camera, shouted "Allahu ackbar", and blown himself to smithereens. That would not have offended anyone.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
Laura Dern's role really just made the movie make less sense. Her sacrifice wouldn't have been necessary if she hadn't handled things so stupidly. Her entire part was one big idiot ball. It's a shame because I like the actress but her character was more than unnecessary, it actually brought the movie down. I'm not saying the movie would have been better if Admiral Akbar had made the sacrifice but it would have been better if Laura Dern hadn't been in it at all.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
Wow you guys are all misogynists. Saddam is totally right.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:56 PM »
I'm not talking about Holdo's insertion and greater role in the story; just the ramming scene. There's a world of difference between criticizing a pointless subplot in which the heroic characters turn into idiots and create all their problems themselves and wanting to build a dramatic moment around a goofy-looking puppet for the sake of paying tribute to an Internet meme.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
I'm not talking about Holdo's insertion and greater role in the story; just the ramming scene. There's a world of difference between criticizing a pointless subplot in which the heroic characters turn into idiots and create all their problems themselves and wanting to build a dramatic moment around a goofy-looking puppet for the sake of paying tribute to an Internet meme.

Well sure but is one really worse than the other? And I was talking about the ramming scene too, because if the movie had been better written it wouldn't have even been necessary (or could have at least been done under more realistic circumstances than that all the characters involved including a military vice-admiral suddenly become drooling idiots).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:33:03 PM by Roundy »
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »
Holdo would have been a better character if they justified her paranoia with "We think there is a spy aboard".

As it stood, she's portrayed as untrusting and incompetent.  She had a good plan, but stupidly thought keeping it secret was a good idea. 

Also, she took WAY too long to shield the escape ships.  Like "Oh, I'll just wait to see if most get destroyed before I do anything like move my big ass ship between them and give them protection."

She was put in to be a throw away character no one knew about so her motives for doing what she did wouldn't contradict any other history since we didn''t know any.

Like imagine if Leah had the same plan and acted the same way in initiating it.  It would look out of character.

If they had done a "Oh, there is a spy/brainwashed person" on board and had the story revolve around that?  Better.  Would have given the story more of a personal paranoia touch.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
I mean, maybe their point was that this is what happens when you give a woman military power, who knows?  Is it possible she was being overly emotional and irrational about it because she was ragging, or going through the symptoms of menopause? I've seen menopause in action, it is literally a bitch.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:40:06 PM by Roundy »

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 09:52:35 AM »
I mean, maybe their point was that this is what happens when you give a woman military power, who knows?  Is it possible she was being overly emotional and irrational about it because she was ragging, or going through the symptoms of menopause? I've seen menopause in action, it is literally a bitch.
You should ask your doctor for some HRT.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1