Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #720 on: August 03, 2014, 02:49:56 AM »
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/123714/which-pov-do-you-prefer

This may not be representative of the player base, but ugh.  What kind of ES fans play the game in third person! >o<

The kind that know there is a very real strategic benefit to being able to observe the entirety of your surroundings; this is opposed to a first person mode that doesn't even offer a resemblance to a realistic human field of view.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 03, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »
I enjoyed the post about not even using first person "in real life". That guy has definitely acheived CHIM.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:18:03 AM by Alexandyr »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #722 on: August 03, 2014, 04:05:37 AM »
http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/123714/which-pov-do-you-prefer

This may not be representative of the player base, but ugh.  What kind of ES fans play the game in third person! >o<

The kind that know there is a very real strategic benefit to being able to observe the entirety of your surroundings; this is opposed to a first person mode that doesn't even offer a resemblance to a realistic human field of view.

There's also a strategic benefit in being able to see what you're doing and what your enemy is doing.  In third person mode, you're instead staring at the back of your head during battles.

Also, I created a Redguard Templar.  I called him Tyrone Blackman.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:02:39 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #723 on: August 03, 2014, 04:12:18 AM »

That's racist.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 03, 2014, 04:13:02 AM »
I called him Tyrone Blackman.
That is neither funny nor is it lore lore lore.
By the way. Why are 99,999999999% of all players so uncreative when it comes to character names? At least yours resembles a real name, but most people just seem to use random words along with random numbers.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:31 AM »
There's also a strategic benefit in being able to see what you're doing and what your enemy is doing properly.

What does this even mean? I'm sure this sentence is the result of you having a rather fascinating definition of "properly."

In third person mode, you're instead staring at the back of your head during battles.

While staring at the back of your character's head while in third person is an option, it certainly isn't suggested and definitely isn't some inescapable fact. To avoid staring at the back of your character's head, I endear you to look at something else other than the back of your character's head. If this advice does not resolve the problem, I suggest seeing an optometrist, as the motor function of your eyes might be impaired.

Why are 99,999999999% of all players so uncreative when it comes to character names?

Maybe you should ask yourself and see what the answer is, beardo.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:25:46 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #726 on: August 03, 2014, 05:12:14 AM »
Okay, Rushy.  I removed the "properly" from that sentence, as it was a bit superfluous.  And what I meant in my criticism of third person mode is that a lot of the time your body blocks your view of enemies.  I also find it difficult to properly aim in third person.

I called him Tyrone Blackman.
That is neither funny nor is it lore lore lore.

You have to admit it is kind of funny.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 03, 2014, 06:07:47 AM »
Maybe you should ask yourself and see what the answer is, beardo.
I come up with names for my characters that actually sounds like they would belong to people in the Elder Scrolls universe,  rather than callin them things like G0d-sl4yerXXX91.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:11:13 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 03, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »

There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 03, 2014, 02:51:21 PM »
Okay, Rushy.  I removed the "properly" from that sentence, as it was a bit superfluous.  And what I meant in my criticism of third person mode is that a lot of the time your body blocks your view of enemies.  I also find it difficult to properly aim in third person.

I never had that problem when I played (which was third person). You keep wanting this game to be TES, but you have to accept that it is WoW now. You don't see many videos of people playing WoW in first person because first person on an MMO puts you at a disadvantage.

I come up with names for my characters that actually sounds like they would belong to people in the Elder Scrolls universe,  rather than callin them things like G0d-sl4yerXXX91.

God-Slayer could easily be a Nordic name, especially since there is already a Nord named God-Hater.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #730 on: August 03, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »
You keep wanting this game to be TES, but you have to accept that it is WoW now.

noooooooooooo

God-Slayer could easily be a Nordic name, especially since there is already a Nord named God-Hater.

God-Slayer could be, but not G0d-sl4yerXXX91.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 03, 2014, 03:03:45 PM »

That is Zenimax's fault for not acknowledging that multiple people could have the same name.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 03, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
You keep wanting this game to be TES, but you have to accept that it is WoW now.

That is kind of insulting. WoW is actually open world.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 03, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »

That is Zenimax's fault for not acknowledging that multiple people could have the same name.

Actually the person who couldn't come up with an original and appealing name would be at fault.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 03, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »
Actually the person who couldn't come up with an original and appealing name would be at fault.

There is no (good) reason to not allow duplicate character names. Furthermore, there is no such thing as an original name.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 03, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
Furthermore, there is no such thing as an original name.

What do you mean? Every possible combination of syllables has already been used? What about Hundrskrundonskrillimundenfax?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 03, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »
What do you mean? Every possible combination of syllables has already been used? What about Hundrskrundonskrillimundenfax?

Do not confuse novel with original.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 03, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »

Do not confuse novel with original.

Too late, I've already confused them. Please explain the difference.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 03, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »

Novel works combine already existing concepts. Original works must be just that, original. They can not imitate in any way, shape, or form, that which has existed before. Thus it is impossible for the human mind to actually fathom an original idea. The human mind can only reshape that which already exists, it can not create original works, only novel ones.

For example, if I were to take a square and fashion six of them together, creating a cube, this would be a novel way to display squares (assuming my audience has never seen a cube). A cube is not my original work, I simply combined squares in a novel manner. We all stand on the shoulders of giants which are thus formed in a similar fashion to an ever increasing house of cards.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:13:03 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 03, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »

Novel works combine already existing concepts. Original works must be just that, original. They can not imitate in any way, shape, or form, that which has existed before. Thus it is impossible for the human mind to actually fathom an original idea. The human mind can only reshape that which already exists, it can not create original works, only novel ones.

For example, if I were to take a square and fashion six of them together, creating a cube, this would be a novel way to display squares (assuming my audience has never seen a cube). A cube is not my original work, I simply combined squares in a novel manner.

In the future, could you do us all a favor and just get the retarded stuff out of the way right at the beginning of an exchange? It would save a lot of time.