Earth Rotation Question
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:06:52 AM »
What is the explanation as to why flights take longer when flying in the direction of Earth's rotation compared to against it if the "disk" you propose is fixed and does not rotate?

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
Re: Earth Rotation Question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:57:36 AM »
What is the explanation as to why flights take longer when flying in the direction of Earth's rotation compared to against it if the "disk" you propose is fixed and does not rotate?

I am not sure I understand this question. Flights do not take longer as you summarize. But time zones do change. My flight across times zones is the same length (assuming similar wind patterns etc) in both directions. But the time zone changes make my arrival minus departure seem shorter and longer.

As I understand, the real question underlying this would be, "Exactly how do time zones work in your flat earth theory?"
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.