geckothegeek

Re: Morons. Most*
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »
From working on things like certain types of radar systems and microwave relay systems and having been at sea in things relating to the horizon and the distance to it, I have always wondered where that flat earth idea of "the indistinct blur" came from .
Maybe it was just made up because it would have to  be that way if the earth was flat. It would possibly be true if the earth was flat. But it is true that the earth isn't flat. And that is the way we see the horizon as it really is because the earth is really a globe.
Or maybe it came from Rowbotham's observations on a foggy night in Olde London Town.
Or, as was suggested on a previous post, it was because Rowbotham had faulty vision and that was what he saw.
Either way that flat earth idea is one of the most obvious flat earth fallacies and among the easiest to de-bunk.
Maybe some flat earther has an explanation ?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:09:07 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
Shalom and welcome to the forum from a round earther.
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 07:54:59 AM »
I feel I must correct an earlier mistake in this thread.

After doing some digging I've found that Junker was correct, he truly isn't a pedant.  I have, I believe, found that which is a better fit in Sciolist and Delettante.

Thank you Junker for guiding me to the truth.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 11:47:04 AM »

After doing some digging I've found that Junker was correct, he truly isn't a pedant.  I have, I believe, found that which is a better fit in Sciolist and Delettante.

I've been thinking he is somewhat similar to the Wizard of Oz. And it makes sense because Oz is kind of a magical place where the impossible is possible and it's surrounded by a flat desert which cannot be crossed. This could easily lead one to believe the earth was flat.
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

geckothegeek

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »

I've been thinking he is somewhat similar to the Wizard of Oz. And it makes sense because Oz is kind of a magical place where the impossible is possible and it's surrounded by a flat desert which cannot be crossed. This could easily lead one to believe the earth was flat.

Maybe Rowbotham started out with just an idea for writing "something similar to the Wizard Of Oz"  and found audiences  which developed into the FES ?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:04:19 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 04:46:23 PM »

All of these could possibly describe most flat earthers instead of "morons" ?
Flat Earth seems to be of those who either know nothing or do not understand something and deny that it  exists or is a fake for that reason alone .
They do not seem to want to find the facts or study about these but only rely on "this is what I think."
This seems an absurd manner of thought and doesn't seem to make any sense. It doesn't work that way in the real world.
Maybe, as "Round Earthers", we should be more tolerant of "Flat Earthers" and just regard them as some sort of a religiious cult, as weird as it  seems.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:17:23 AM by geckothegeek »