Hello everyone!

It has been a long time since I've last been here, probably more than a year. Honestly, I've forgotten about the Flat Earth and all of its theories during this period.

I now come back seeking some help for my 14-year-old daughter's Science Fair assignment "Discovering the Shape of the Earth", in which they describe the evolution of science throughout the years on this topic. Her teacher decided to give some space for discussing the Flat Earth model as well, mostly because it was the widely accepted model centuries ago.

The assignment consists on building 3D models of the Sun-Earth-Moon system according to different theories. These models must try to explain simple phenomena one can see with their bare eyes, such as sunrise, sunset, solar and lunar eclipses. The students were divided into groups, each group is responsible for creating one model and explaining why the phenomena work on their model or not. I was quite delighted to discover that my daughter's group is the Flat Earth's one.

I decided to help her gather information about the Flat Earth so she can build her model in as much accordance to the theory as possible.

First question: as we live in the Southern Hemisphere, more precisely in Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil (around 20º S, 54º W), and see the stars moving clockwise in the sky around a supposed southern star, my daughter and her friends are willing to draw a map in which Antarctica is the center. Would it by any means be correct in any Flat Earth context? I tried really hard to convince her this is incorrect in the Flat Earth model, but she doesn't want to take my word for it.

Second: how do lunar eclipses work in a Flat Earth? I have never thought about it before, and simply couldn't help her on this. How should we model it?

Third: are there any scientific resources (books, articles or the like) about the Flat Earth that can be used as a reference in a school assignment?

Feel free to give us any tips on how we should build this model. As she is very well educated in English, I will allow her to participate on this thread on my behalf, so please be kind and pardon any misspelling or grammar error she might commit (even though I think she speaks English much better than me, haha).

PS: If you are Brazilian, or have any Flat Earth resources in Portuguese, please, link it in here.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
Hello! I will try to be as helpful as possible.

First, I’m afraid there are not scientific resources on flat earth theory, because unfortunately no science has yet been done. You can find a repository of ideas on the flat earth wiki, but it largely contains attempted criticisms of round earth science, rather than robust descriptions of flat earth. No items on the wiki are presented at the level of scientific inquiry.

As for sunsets, sunrises, eclipses and the notion of the sun and moon on a flat earth, there presently does not exist a consensus for how this is achieved. In fact, we have not yet found a viable model at all. Much of the discussion on this website is devoted to that attempt, and it is still ongoing.

It is unlikely that Antarctica would be at the center of a flat earth map. Many flat earthers believe Antarctica contains an enormous ice wall, like in game of thrones, which is impassable. If Antarctica was in the middle of the map, then we would have easily found the ice wall. Presently, there is no observational evidence for an ice wall.

I hope this helps clarify some points, and sorry I could not provide more positive answers. 
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Addressing items such as the Foucault Pendulum or the Cavendish Experiment is a matter of all science, for all models, and tells us what is happening and what would need to happen -- whether it is explained with a mechanism, and which one, or whether the experiment is inconsistent and of questionable value. Addressing experiments or phenomena is a description of nature and the earth, and is not "RE".

To the OP:

Celestial Rotation Monopole Model: P-Brane: Anti-rotation in the south explained by perspective

Celestial Rotation Bi-Polar Model: New Flat Earth Model Tears Globe A New AE
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:33:14 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
My daughter and her friends are willing to draw a map in which Antarctica is the center. Would it by any means be correct in any Flat Earth context? I tried really hard to convince her this is incorrect in the Flat Earth model, but she doesn't want to take my word for it.

There are many many flat earth models. Some have an ocean in the center, some have Jerusalem in the center, some have the north pole in the center, some have no center etc. Pretty much you can put whatever you want in the center of your own personal flat earth models.

Second: how do lunar eclipses work in a Flat Earth? I have never thought about it before, and simply couldn't help her on this. How should we model it?
Again this really depends on your personal beliefs and your own personal flat earth model.

Third: are there any scientific resources (books, articles or the like) about the Flat Earth that can be used as a reference in a school assignment?

Again this depends on individual beliefs and what model you believe in.

Someone who believes in a more biblical flat earth model would say that the bible is a very important book.
Someone who believes in a more conspiracy driven flat earth model would say that some conspiracy book is very important.
Someone who believes in a more seeing is believing flat earth model might say the book by samual rowbotham.
Someone who believes in a more spiritual flat earth model might say the book by eric dubay.
Someone who believes in a more mathematical flat earth model might say the unsolvable three body problem.

I am no Flat-Earther myself, I was just trying to help her build their 3D model in a way that Flat-Earthers would consider to be correct. But, apparently, there's not such a thing as consensus among the community. What is the purpose of denying all Round-Earth evidences, proofs and consensus if you cannot come up with a model, then?

Unfortunately, we cannot use YouTube videos as homework reference or scientific research. As modern Flat-Earthers cannot make their minds, we will try to base our model on what ancient people thought the Earth was.

Anyway, thank you for your time.