Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #1920 on: April 05, 2015, 02:25:24 AM »
I seriously doubt if ISIS has much in the way of anti-air capabilities, and I know that Gaza doesn't. They can't even shoot a rocket right. The rockets that they fire at Israel more often then not end up landing in Gaza, according to analysts of the last war. In fact, I would choose Gaza City as the city to make an example of, rather than the capital of ISIS, but that's just a personal choice. I'm not one of the Generals. And I think Israel is more than prepared to have a bunch of poorly armed "Palestinians" attempt to attack it. They have what is basically the best military in the world. They could very easily resolve the "Palestinian" Problem. They simply choose not to, because of the bleeding heart idiots in the rest of the world.

I think you seriously underestimate the force of hundreds of thousands of desperate, scared, and angry people.

Also, Israel has, according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Defense_Forces

176,500 active military personnel with 445,000 in reserve.

Sure they'll have sizable numbers but against the massive flood of people not to mention the retaliation from all the other middle eastern countries.  Your army isn't going to stop that kind of onslaught, not without US support. And all it will take is the bodies of some kids on national TV to cut off that life-line.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: April 05, 2015, 02:26:02 AM »
I feel like there was some kind of tablets with rules on them or something. Important rules. Hmm. Oh well. I'm sure they had lots of exception clauses scribbled beneath them.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1922 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:52 AM »
You both forget. Israel can mobilise its entire population in a matter of minutes. Remember. 6 Arab armies attacked in '48 and lost. They pre-emptively attacked in '67 and the Arabs lost. They were attacked (by surprise, totally unprepared, since it was Yom Kippur) in '73 and the Arabs still lost. If the "Palestinians" attempted to attack, they would probably get their asses handed to them, and if any other Arab nation tried it, they would likely face a repeat of the last three times they attempted it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1923 on: April 05, 2015, 02:34:27 AM »
And it should be noted that the USA did not send troops on any of those occasions.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: April 05, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »
I found those rules.

Oh, damn. Well it looks like #5 does not in fact have any exception clauses appended to it. That's a bummer.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1925 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »
Actually, the translation is inaccurate. The Hebrew actually reads, "Thou shalt do no murder". Killing in defence of the State is not murder. Ergo, no violation,

« Reply #1926 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:44 AM »
I seriously doubt if ISIS has much in the way of anti-air capabilities, and I know that Gaza doesn't. They can't even shoot a rocket right. The rockets that they fire at Israel more often then not end up landing in Gaza, according to analysts of the last war. In fact, I would choose Gaza City as the city to make an example of, rather than the capital of ISIS, but that's just a personal choice. I'm not one of the Generals. And I think Israel is more than prepared to have a bunch of poorly armed "Palestinians" attempt to attack it. They have what is basically the best military in the world. They could very easily resolve the "Palestinian" Problem. They simply choose not to, because of the bleeding heart idiots in the rest of the world.

ISIS have downed Jordanian fighters and damaged US fighters. The USAF has also elected to use F-22's over Syria in ISIS bombing missions. Not because ISIS presents a threat, but because Assad is perfectly happy to shoot down US aircraft.

They're not extremely well equipped, but they shouldn't be disregarded. The US takes them seriously enough.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: April 05, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »
Actually, the translation is inaccurate. The Hebrew actually reads, "Thou shalt do no murder". Killing in defence of the State is not murder. Ergo, no violation,

That sounds like a pedantic interpretation designed to shield your own conscious from guilt. It's things like this that make it pretty obvious your religion was designed and implemented by other people.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1928 on: April 05, 2015, 02:41:44 AM »
Come at them with every single plane we've got over their headquarters city for the purpose of carpet bombing the holy shit out of it, and see how long their "anti-air capabilities" last. They would be dogmeat in a matter of about six hours. Then just continue carpet bombing the city for a straight week to make sure absolutely nothing else is left by the time you are done.

That sounds like a pedantic interpretation designed to shield your own conscious from guilt.

Not at all. Simple linguistics. I know my languages.

« Reply #1929 on: April 05, 2015, 02:44:52 AM »
Come at them with every single plane we've got over their headquarters city for the purpose of carpet bombing the holy shit out of it, and see how long their "anti-air capabilities" last. They would be dogmeat in a matter of about six hours. Then just continue carpet bombing the city for a straight week to make sure absolutely nothing else is left by the time you are done.

That sounds like a pedantic interpretation designed to shield your own conscious from guilt.

There's a reason the air campaign against ISIS has relied almost entirely on PGMs. Carpet bombing is not a particularly modern strategy; it's costly, wasteful and often kills more civilians than combatants.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: April 05, 2015, 02:46:41 AM »

It is the equivalent of saying "Thou shalt not kill" so I define my enemies as demons that are not alive and therefore can't be killed anyway. I once again am confused that Jews need to find loopholes in their own religion and think that if such a god existed, this god would be fine with you jumping through pedantic hoops to avoid following his rules.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1931 on: April 05, 2015, 02:48:53 AM »
Like I said. The purpose is to destroy every living thing in the city. And the city itself. To completely level it. And then to spread salt across it so that it can never be rebuilt. This is total war, Roman Style, with modern weaponry. We had to go Dresden quite literally on Germany, and it worked. That is what we are going to have to do here. Might as well get it done sooner rather than later.

It is the equivalent of saying "Thou shalt not kill" so I define my enemies as demons that are not alive and therefore can't be killed anyway. I once again am confused that Jews need to find loopholes in their own religion and think that if such a god existed, this god would be fine with you jumping through pedantic hoops to avoid following his rules.

Its not a loophole. Murdering and killing in self defence are two different things.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: April 05, 2015, 02:51:59 AM »
Murdering and killing in self defence are two different things.

That's an opinion.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1933 on: April 05, 2015, 02:53:35 AM »
Not at all. If you kill me because you don't like the way I look, that is murder. If you kill me for trying to rape your wife, that is justified homicide. Any legal system would agree with me.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: April 05, 2015, 02:55:10 AM »
Not at all. If you kill me because you don't like the way I look, that is murder. If you kill me for trying to rape your wife, that is justified homicide. Any legal system would agree with me.

I didn't realize that what makes sense in a legal system makes sense for god, since I assumed god was morally superior to humans. My bad.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1935 on: April 05, 2015, 02:56:45 AM »

I didn't realize that what makes sense in a legal system makes sense for god, since I assumed god was morally superior to humans. My bad.

Come on! G-d is, first and foremost, a G-d of Justice, is he not? He is also a G-d of Mercy, but no moreso than of justice.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 05, 2015, 02:58:12 AM »
Come on! G-d is, first and foremost, a G-d of Justice, is he not? He is also a G-d of Mercy, but no moreso than of justice.

It sounds more like he is the god of your justice, specifically.

« Reply #1937 on: April 05, 2015, 02:58:15 AM »
Like I said. The purpose is to destroy every living thing in the city. And the city itself. To completely level it. And then to spread salt across it so that it can never be rebuilt. This is total war, Roman Style, with modern weaponry. We had to go Dresden quite literally on Germany, and it worked. That is what we are going to have to do here. Might as well get it done sooner rather than later.

It's not total war at all, it's isolated air strikes against ISIS controlled facilities and targets. Technology has come a long way since Dresden (which, by the way, is considered a war crime by some historians).

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1938 on: April 05, 2015, 03:00:40 AM »

It's not total war at all, it's isolated air strikes against ISIS controlled facilities and targets. Technology has come a long way since Dresden (which, by the way, is considered a war crime by some historians).

Well, that is precisely the problem. You can't win a war without Total War. Anybody who doesn't believe that is a fool. That is why we haven't won a war since 1945.

It sounds more like he is the god of your justice, specifically.

No, it just sounds like you have issues.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 05, 2015, 03:11:39 AM »
I don't think it's the nukes themselves that stabilize a country, but rather the technological prowess required to make them. Any country that spends enough time and energy on science to develop nuclear weapons and missiles to use them with probably has its shit together.

"North Korea has its shit together." -Tausami the Great

As for the peace-enforcing possibility, I'm not sure the risk is worth the reward even if the reward exists. Maybe nukes help prevent war, but it only takes one bad egg-nation to fuck up everything for everyone forever. And if I had to choose a nation that would fuck up in that manner, Iran would be in the top 5.

Considering Iran is the most advanced nation in the region, I don't think they would. Their culture opposes Western morality, yes, but they're not stupid.

Are you saying that North Korea has become more stable since it developed nuclear technology? I thought we were just ignoring them as the outlier in the situation. Anyway, they haven't developed the missile technology to use them yet so they don't really count at all.

I'm not sure how not-stupid they are. They knowingly stepped into a situation where the UN would impose extremely harsh restrictions on them. That doesn't sound like something an intelligent, self-aware country would do.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ