Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #1740 on: February 14, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »
Leave it to a moderator to say something anti-Semitic and stupid. But then, you are an atheist. Why should I be surprised?

Why do you think I'm an atheist?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1741 on: February 14, 2015, 01:47:53 PM »
Well, if you're not an atheist, you are an anti-Semitic, pompous fool.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 14, 2015, 01:51:24 PM »
Well, I'm not the one advocating for ethnic genocide. I'm just saying, if you were put in charge, you'd turn out to be Hitler #2.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1743 on: February 14, 2015, 01:52:39 PM »
I'm actually not advocating that either. I'm advocating the winning of a war. And in wars a lot of people die. Look, there are a shit-ton of Arab people in the world. Killing off the ISIS and Hamas is hardly genocide.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 14, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »
That's true, but your dislike for muslims isn't limited to ISIS and Hamas, now is it?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1745 on: February 14, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
I despise the bastards. But just because I despise them doesn't mean I want to kill them. I think they should be forcibly removed from the United States and Europe and returned to their original places of residence, and contained there, but beyond that, I think they should be left alone to be as savage to each other as they would like.

EDIT: Well, its been fun. But I have my work, and my Wife will soon be up, I am sure. And, Gentlemen, its Valentine's Day. I hope you are all as in love with your significant others as I am with mine. Have a happy, people. Enjoy the day, and your wives or gfs. I'll be on tomorrow, most likely. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow, but I am sure you will see me during breaks.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:13:13 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 14, 2015, 02:52:03 PM »
Are strawberry crepes kosher?  That is what I made for breakfast for valentines day.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 14, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »
Yaakov is right, something coming from nothing is stupid, that's why many atheists don't believe the universe ever came into being at all, but rather it has always existed (and always will).

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

« Reply #1748 on: February 14, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »
And an atheist operates on the principle that something can arise from nothing. Even stupider, but they still do it. And your opinion of "how you should do research ever" is a bit irrelevant, again, because you are not the scholar whose opinion matters a shit. I mean, come on, you believe the world is flat!

bro this doesn't even address my argument. Did you know that some of the earliest and most controversial scientific work was performed by Christians and Deists? That HEAPS of modern research in a variety of fields is performed by believers able to divorce their beliefs from their work? Injecting your biases into your research is a terrible way to get good results, and only leads to peer review tearing your work apart.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1749 on: February 15, 2015, 05:29:12 AM »
I'll make sure to tell Heinrich Schleimann not to read "The Iliad" before he goes and looks for Troy.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: February 15, 2015, 10:33:53 AM »
Why are you wasting your time with us dirty gentiles?
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1751 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »
As for the universe itself being eternal, that disagrees with current science saying that the Big Bang occurrec 13.8 billion years ago. But if it were eternal , that would imply that it was G-d in some sense, which, although I disagree, still makes the atheist look like a schmuck.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: February 15, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
But if it were eternal , that would imply that it was G-d in some sense

No, it wouldn't.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: February 15, 2015, 02:32:19 PM »
As for the universe itself being eternal, that disagrees with current science saying that the Big Bang occurrec 13.8 billion years ago. But if it were eternal , that would imply that it was G-d in some sense, which, although I disagree, still makes the atheist look like a schmuck.

Yes because the big bang is only possible once and can never be a repeating event.  Such things just don't happen....   ::)
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1754 on: February 15, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »

Where did God come from? (How many times has this question been asked so far?)

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: February 15, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »

Where did God come from? (How many times has this question been asked so far?)

For some reason all religious people think the idea of an eternal god makes sense but an eternal universe makes none. This occurs often enough that, although I suspect Yaakov to be a troll, I know it is in fact a real belief held by real people. I even tried to explain that you could solve this logical conundrum by stating god is the universe, but this solution did not please my audience at the time.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1756 on: February 15, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
The idea that God is the universe is an interesting one. Or maybe the universe is God. The universe brought us galaxies, solar systems, life, planets and celestial bodies, and the means to survive on those bodies, etc. I see no reason why the universe can't be God. Of course it wouldn't be the God of the good book, but a representation of an omnipotent force that makes all things possible.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 15, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
The idea that God is the universe is an interesting one. Or maybe the universe is God. The universe brought us galaxies, solar systems, life, planets and celestial bodies, and the means to survive on those bodies, etc. I see no reason why the universe can't be God. Of course it wouldn't be the God of the good book, but a representation of an omnipotent force that makes all things possible.

What is this, 5000 BC? The universe "brought us" nothing.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1758 on: February 15, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
The universe is the sole reason we are alive. At the very least it brought us a means to survive.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #1759 on: February 15, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »
Like I said, calling the Universe G-d is something with which I disagree, but it makes more sense than atheism. The question "Who made G-d" is actually rather puerile. Aristotle spoke of the Uncaused Cause, the Unmoved Mover. I think Plato did as well. In spite of their unusual, well, let us just call them "habits", they weren't stupid. No one really cares about the question. Most people accept the fact that there is one thing in the Universe that had no creator, but has always been. Only whiny kids get hot and bothered over the question for more than five minutes. I mean, we can go round and round w/ it, but all it is is mental masturbation, ultimately. I can get you MOST of the way to G-d using reason alone. The rest you DO have to do on faith. I have never denied that.