• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #980 on: October 15, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
Crash course quotations:

[quote] begins a quote.
[/quote] ends a quote.

This is all you need to know. It's pretty simple. Don't reply within other people's quotes. It's weird.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

« Reply #981 on: October 15, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
People in Tennessee are legally allowed to eat road kill and they aren't dying by the thousands because of it.  If that doesn't tell you something about the "dangers" of carrion then I'm not sure what will.  When you cook something, you are heating it to kill off any parasite or disease living inside it, thus making it safe to eat.

« Reply #982 on: October 15, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
You don't eat any invertebrates?

Ah, no. Even assuming I wanted to, I wouldn't be permitted to.

Except that you are permitted to.

You can't eat insects, EXCEPT for locusts
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 15, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »
People from many cultures eat all sorts of disgusting stuff and yet seem lead normal, healthy lives.  I wonder what they know that the Jews don't?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #984 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
Roadkill is not carrion. It did not die of itself. A human killed it by hitting it with a car. A thing only dies of itself because of old age or disease. And I am aware of TN law, having lived there for 3 of the most miserable years of my life. The people there are almost as backward as Arabs.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 16, 2014, 01:48:30 AM »
Roadkill is not carrion. It did not die of itself. A human killed it by hitting it with a car. A thing only dies of itself because of old age or disease. And I am aware of TN law, having lived there for 3 of the most miserable years of my life. The people there are almost as backward as Arabs.

You know what would have been easier?  Don't eat diseased meat.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 16, 2014, 01:50:57 AM »
Roadkill is not carrion. It did not die of itself. A human killed it by hitting it with a car. A thing only dies of itself because of old age or disease.
Carrion is defined as the decaying flesh of dead animals.  How the animals die is completely irrelevant.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #987 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:38 AM »
I don't know about you, but as I recall, the Bible defines it as anything that dies of itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 16, 2014, 02:30:50 AM »
Why have we (or more specifically, you) not received an updated and properly translated book from the the storm cloud god (Thor?) you speak of? It seems like the guidance would change a bit noting advances in technology make things like how "dangerous" pig meat is irrelevant.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 16, 2014, 02:34:57 AM »
I don't know about you, but as I recall, the Bible defines it as anything that dies of itself.
So you're saying that the rotting leftovers of a gazelle that's killed by a lion isn't carrion?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #990 on: October 16, 2014, 02:35:53 AM »
Apparently we were both right: Observe the following.

"Carrion (from the Latin "caro", meaning "meat") refers to the dead and decaying flesh of an animal.

Carrion is an important food source for large carnivores and omnivores in most ecosystems. Examples of carrion-eaters (or scavengers) include vultures, hawks, eagles,[1] hyenas,[2] Virginia Opossum,[3] Tasmanian Devils,[4] coyotes,[5] Komodo dragons,[6] and burying beetles.[7] Many invertebrates such as the burying beetles, as well as maggots of calliphorid flies and Flesh-flies also eat carrion, playing an important role in recycling nitrogen and carbon in animal remains.

Carrion begins to decay the moment of the animal's death, and it will increasingly attract insects and breed bacteria. Not long after the animal has died, its body will begin to exude a foul odor caused by the presence of bacteria and the emission of cadaverine and putrescine.

Some plants and fungi smell like decomposing carrion and attract insects that aid in reproduction. Plants that exhibit this behavior are known as carrion flowers. Stinkhorn mushrooms are examples of fungi with this characteristic.

The word carrion is often used in Danish mythology to describe animals that have been sacrificed and animals that have been killed due to the gods' fury.[citation needed]

Sometimes carrion is used to describe an infected carcass that is diseased and should not be touched. An example of carrion being used to describe dead and rotting bodies in literature may be found in William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar:

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
(III.i)[8]
Another example can be found in Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe when the title character kills an unknown bird for food but finds "its flesh was carrion, and fit for nothing".

Edited to eliminate captions to pictures that do not appear here, but do in Wikipedia.

Source: Wikipedia.

Also refer to the Seven Laws of Noah in  Wikipedia.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:40:35 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #991 on: October 16, 2014, 02:45:32 AM »
Why have we (or more specifically, you) not received an updated and properly translated book from the the storm cloud god (Thor?) you speak of? It seems like the guidance would change a bit noting advances in technology make things like how "dangerous" pig meat is irrelevant.

Maybe you consider the stuff safe, but I don't, thank you. Trichinosis is not my idea of healthy. Neither is an animal that eats slop.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 16, 2014, 02:47:07 AM »
Maybe you consider the stuff safe, but I don't, thank you. Trichinosis is not my idea of healthy. Neither is an animal that eats slop.

All of life consists of the same basic components, its not relevant where it comes from.

Furthermore, all this really seems to tell me is God thinks Jews suck at cooking, and as a result, just went ahead and told them "don't bother, you'll mess it up anyway."

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #993 on: October 16, 2014, 03:00:43 AM »
No, I expect that he didn't want people to die. That's usually pretty helpful. Now, I won't deny. Can pork be cooked safely today? Sure. Can a rat? Sure. That doesn't mean I'm going to. Ultimately it comes down to the following: There are all kinds of explanations for the Kosher Laws. But the ultimate one is the following. GOD TOLD US TO. End of story. SHUT UP AND DO IT. He didn't tell the Goy to do it. He told us. So there you are.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 16, 2014, 03:05:52 AM »
No, I expect that he didn't want people to die. That's usually pretty helpful. Now, I won't deny. Can pork be cooked safely today? Sure. Can a rat? Sure. That doesn't mean I'm going to. Ultimately it comes down to the following: There are all kinds of explanations for the Kosher Laws. But the ultimate one is the following. GOD TOLD US TO. End of story. SHUT UP AND DO IT. He didn't tell the Goy to do it. He told us. So there you are.

Authoritarianism to the max. You think a nonexistent entity told you to do something and therefore you have to do it, all because you believe you'll be rewarded later. An omnipotent, omniscient, and questionably omnibenevolent being is willing to give you, personally, a reward for doing things such as not eating pork. I would find it funny if, you know, you and all the other Abrahamic religions would stop murdering people.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 16, 2014, 03:27:30 AM »
No, I expect that he didn't want people to die.
Except the people He tells you to kill, of course.

Now, I won't deny. Can pork be cooked safely today? Sure. Can a rat? Sure.
Then you admit that kosher laws are essentially outdated and irrelevant today?  Good to know.

That doesn't mean I'm going to. Ultimately it comes down to the following: There are all kinds of explanations for the Kosher Laws. But the ultimate one is the following. GOD TOLD US TO. End of story. SHUT UP AND DO IT. He didn't tell the Goy to do it. He told us. So there you are.
So God doesn't want Jews to keep up with modern innovations in food safety?  ???

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #996 on: October 16, 2014, 04:09:51 AM »
Actually, you've got that completely wrong. Jews could care less about the rewards. Some Jews don't even believe in an Afterlife. As Jews, we follow the Law because it is the Law. We could care less about what happens after death. After all, when we do die, we suffer for a year and a day from demons of our own creation, and then we go to Sheol, and we are neither happy nor sad until Judgement Day.

On Judgement Day, the righteous shall enter Paradise. The unrighteous shall simply go extinct. There is no hell, or place of torment. You simply cease to exist. That is the standard view held by most, but not all Jews. However, some Jews do believe in Heaven and Hell, some believe reincarnation, some believe in no Afterlife at all. And in all cases, we don't follow the Torah out of interest for the end. We follow the Law because it is the Law. That simple.

Nor do I admit that kosher laws are outdated. A pig can be cooked safely. But should it be? No. It is still an unhealthy animal to eat because of what it eats. And God at present doesn't command us to kill anyone. We are forced to kill Arabs because they want to destroy us.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 16, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »
Actually, you've got that completely wrong. Jews could care less about the rewards. Some Jews don't even believe in an Afterlife. As Jews, we follow the Law because it is the Law. We could care less about what happens after death. After all, when we do die, we suffer for a year and a day from demons of our own creation, and then we go to Sheol, and we are neither happy nor sad until Judgement Day.

On Judgement Day, the righteous shall enter Paradise. The unrighteous shall simply go extinct. There is no hell, or place of torment. You simply cease to exist. That is the standard view held by most, but not all Jews. However, some Jews do believe in Heaven and Hell, some believe reincarnation, some believe in no Afterlife at all. And in all cases, we don't follow the Torah out of interest for the end. We follow the Law because it is the Law. That simple.

You say that a reward doesn't exist and then immediately start talking about a reward. Do you believe that you will be rewarded for your deeds, either before death (karma) or after?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #998 on: October 16, 2014, 04:24:16 AM »

You say that a reward doesn't exist and then immediately start talking about a reward. Do you believe that you will be rewarded for your deeds, either before death (karma) or after?

What I believe about the Afterlife or lack thereof is entirely irrelevant to the fact that I must obey the Torah because it is the Torah. Whether there is an Afterlife or not is entirely beside the point. And whether I believe there is an Afterlife is entirely beside the point.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 16, 2014, 04:28:36 AM »
What I believe about the Afterlife or lack thereof is entirely irrelevant to the fact that I must obey the Torah because it is the Torah. Whether there is an Afterlife or not is entirely beside the point. And whether I believe there is an Afterlife is entirely beside the point.

But its relevance is irrelevant. This is "Ask a Jew anything" not "Ask a Jew anything relevant to the Torah."

Why are you dodging such a simply question? Do you or do you not believe you will eventually receive some form of reward?