Ghost of V

Psychology Today on Trollin'
« on: September 20, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »
Psychology Today has released an article on internet trolls. They are claiming that all internet trolls are narcissists, psychopaths, and sadists. (Yes I found this on reddit, yes shut up).

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

What kind of person would do this?

Canadian researchers decided to find out. They conducted two internet studies with over 1,200 people. They gave personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the Dark Tetrad of personality: narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadistic personality.

"... the associations between sadism and GAIT (Global Assessment of Internet Trolling) scores were so strong that it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists." [emphasis added]

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article):

"Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"

Here's some sort of graph or something:

I find it hard to believe that we're all evil sadists, but that's just me.

Is psychology today trolling us? I don't even know how they gathered most of this data, and the verbiage used in the article seems questionable. Regardless, do you agree with these accusations?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:43:44 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Psychology Today on Trollin'
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »
Scientists poll trolls and expect accurate results?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
I don't think any of us here are real trolls though. We like a good debate and being dicks once in awhile, but message anyone one on one and they'll be genuine and normal.

I encountered what I would call a true troll on tumblr once. They bombarded me with terrible photos and even made a fake account dedicated to harassing me. It almost verged on stalker behavior when they went so far as to get me fired by digging up shit I said about an old boss, putting together where I worked, and emailing it to said boss. I deleted that tumblr and was done with it but that was a sadist.

Maybe this study is going off the more rare definition of someone who really harasses online rather than someone who just posts off-topic responses and starts arguments. At least that's how I interpret it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
I don't think any of us here are real trolls though. We like a good debate and being dicks once in awhile, but message anyone one on one and they'll be genuine and normal.

I encountered what I would call a true troll on tumblr once. They bombarded me with terrible photos and even made a fake account dedicated to harassing me. It almost verged on stalker behavior when they went so far as to get me fired by digging up shit I said about an old boss, putting together where I worked, and emailing it to said boss. I deleted that tumblr and was done with it but that was a sadist.

Maybe this study is going off the more rare definition of someone who really harasses online rather than someone who just posts off-topic responses and starts arguments. At least that's how I interpret it.

I've met one person like that as well, and experienced a similar thing. They're terrible people (worse than Thork). But this article seems to be pointing the finger at anyone who joins a group with the intentions of derailing, arguing, or insulting the participants.

I still have my doubts about whether this is a genuine article. It seems really far-fetched, especially when considering what Lord Dave said. If they truly gathered these results there's no way of knowing if the polls themselves were trolled, and apparently the people behind the studies are too retarted to figure this out.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »
narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadistic personality.
This proves that I am not a troll.

They're terrible people (worse than Thork).
Seriously? Wtf is that about?  :-\

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »
Good thing there aren't any trolls in TFES.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 08:28:59 PM »

Sure there are. Have you met some of these globularists? They've gotta be either trolls or NASA spies. They can't be serious.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:04:24 PM »
Sure there are. Have you met some of these globularists? They've gotta be either trolls or NASA spies. They can't be serious.

I said in TFES. Roundies aren't in TFES, now are they? Maybe they crawl around the site, but I wouldn't consider them part of the society.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
You have to take the troll poll before you can get into this boy's soul.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »

Sure there are. Have you met some of these Aerheric Wind Theorists? They've gotta be either trolls or NASA spies. They can't be serious.

ftfy

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »

Sure there are. Have you met some of these Aerheric Wind Theorists? They've gotta be either trolls or NASA spies. They can't be serious.

ftfy

Aetheric wind is a naturally occurring phenomenon that has been confirmed by science. Your disinformation campaign is getting tiring, Rama Set.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:27:38 AM by Vauxhall »

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 12:47:14 AM »

ftfy

Aetheric wind is a naturally occurring phenomenon that has been confirmed by science. Your disinformation campaign is getting tiring, Rama Set.

Thank you for your confirmation.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 03:37:05 AM »
You have to take the troll poll before you can get into this boy's soul.

+1 for Always Sunny.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
Here's an excerpt from the article:

Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

Here's some sort of graph or something:

How can they have that quote in it, have such an exaggerated graph, and not think they're being trolled?
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
Even if they were trolled, wouldn't it still apply?

If trolls troll the study then it's proof enough that they're trolls, right? Or am I confusing myself?

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »
Trolls trolling a professional survey about trolls would fit sadism wouldn't it? I mean, their intention would be to make the publication look stupid, which in turn confirms the trolling survey to be correct even if trolled.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »
We're using the term "sadism" pretty loosely here, I see.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
Right, which is why initially I would think they mean legitimate harrassment rather than people who just derail discussions.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »
Right, which is why initially I would think they mean legitimate harrassment rather than people who just derail discussions.

"An internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation."

Sounds like they're talking specifically about people who derail discussions.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:22:28 PM by Vauxhall »