Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Irish reunification
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 04:29:10 PM »
Westminster hasn't given permission. You are advocating sedition.

Did I, at any point, say "the Northern Irish should set up a referendum without following the legal process in the UK for one"?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 04:32:04 PM »
How about Queensland leaves Australia? You know, if we want to see other people's nations chopped to bits. And the western territories, not really part of the rest of Aus. Tasmania is a separate island. Scope for a referendum there too.

In fact, plenty of scope for a new nation here ...

Give back the land you stole. Let them govern themselves.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 04:34:24 PM by Toddler Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
How about Queensland leaves Australia?
Good riddance.

You know, if we want to see other people's nations chopped to bits.
You mean like the time you chopped Ireland in half?

Give back the land you stole. Let them govern themselves.
I didn't steal anything, I would be quite happy for them to govern themselves, and Australia isn't the topic of this thread.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 05:09:28 PM »
You mean like the time you chopped Ireland in half?

That isn't what happened at all.

The Union of Great Britain and Ireland happened a long time ago and everyone was happy with it. Well almost everyone. Everyone who matters. Henry VIII was the first king of Ireland and he did a good job. Probably.

Anyway, in 1918 the Irish vote in their droves for Sinn Fein.

Being the polite and generally lovely people that we are in the UK, by 1921 we had let the rest of Ireland be an independent country. That's what they wanted. They got it.

But look how Northern Ireland voted. For unionist parties. So we said, Ok, you want to stay, you can stay. We gave absolutely everybody what they wanted. But the greedy nasty Irish wanted more. They wanted to rule over the northern Irish too, despite their not wanting to be Irish. And the Irish resorted to terrorism and the USA decided to fund that terrorism because Americans are fundamentally wicked.

So we never chopped Ireland in half. We left the half that wanted to leave leave, and let the half that wanted to stay stay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Do you have a better suggestion as to what the British should have done?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2021, 05:23:07 PM »
So we never chopped Ireland in half. We left the half that wanted to leave leave, and let the half that wanted to stay stay.

That's weird. I could have sworn you said something just a bit earlier to the effect of

We don't just shatter the nation to bits every time parts of it vote another way. Democracy means we agree to the majority vote and we live with it.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2021, 06:08:05 PM »
So we never chopped Ireland in half. We left the half that wanted to leave leave, and let the half that wanted to stay stay.

That's weird. I could have sworn you said something just a bit earlier to the effect of

We don't just shatter the nation to bits every time parts of it vote another way. Democracy means we agree to the majority vote and we live with it.

That's not like voting to leave the union. That was voting on a trade deal with the EU. If people want to leave, they can leave. But they can't vote over and over on it until the result changes. Have a vote, respect the vote. But having political differences of opinion is not grounds for leaving every single time it happens. That way madness lies.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2021, 06:18:16 PM »
That's not like voting to leave the union. That was voting on a trade deal with the EU.

No, it was voting on EU membership. Do you actually understand what Brexit is yet?

If people want to leave, they can leave.

I assume you mean to say they can leave after they start a war of independence and you commit a few crimes against humanity to spite them for it.

But they can't vote over and over on it until the result changes. Have a vote, respect the vote. But having political differences of opinion is not grounds for leaving every single time it happens. That way madness lies.

Losing EU membership was one of the primary arguments against Scottish independence in the last referendum. It is not a "political difference of opinion", it is a radical change to the context of the question that was posed.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2021, 06:25:11 PM »
That's not like voting to leave the union. That was voting on a trade deal with the EU.

No, it was voting on EU membership. Do you actually understand what Brexit is yet?
Yes, it is the worst trade deal in modern history. You hand over everything including your sovereignty, for the ability to trade with other nations who have been equally emasculated.

If people want to leave, they can leave.

I assume you mean to say they can leave after they start a war of independence and you commit a few crimes against humanity to spite them for it.
Honestly, we don't give a fuck about Northern Ireland. They chose to stay. We've been paying for them ever since. They contribute nothing.

But they can't vote over and over on it until the result changes. Have a vote, respect the vote. But having political differences of opinion is not grounds for leaving every single time it happens. That way madness lies.

Losing EU membership was one of the primary arguments against Scottish independence in the last referendum. It is not a "political difference of opinion", it is a radical change to the context of the question that was posed.
No, Brexit is just the cancellation of a trade deal. A bad trade deal. That is not grounds for sedition.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2021, 06:31:34 PM »
Honestly, we don't give a fuck about Northern Ireland. They chose to stay. We've been paying for them ever since. They contribute nothing.

Yes, you keep very loudly proclaiming how hard you don't give a fuck.

No, Brexit is just the cancellation of a trade deal. A bad trade deal. That is not grounds for sedition.

Please stop calling the EU a "trade deal". That is not even remotely close to what it is, and I suspect you know that. You are only making yourself look ridiculous.

Tell me, what is the difference between parts of Ireland disagreeing on whether to remain part of the UK, and parts of the UK disagreeing on whether to remain part of the EU?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2021, 03:42:55 PM »
Boris Johnson continues to be all flash, no photo.

But pushed further by reporters about the French president's alleged remarks, Mr Johnson said he and the rest of the government "make the point continuously that we are all part of one great indivisible United Kingdom".

Considering his government is the one who has divided the United Kingdom, this lip service from Boris is frankly more offensive than anything Macron said.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2021, 07:39:00 PM »
Stop picking the wrong side. The French have demonstrated how absurd the EUs position is and how unreasonable their demands. Boris asked

"Do you think it would be reasonable to ask that sausages made in Toulouse could not be sold in Paris?" to which Macron replied "Its not the same thing. Northern Ireland is not part of the UK."

Of course, it is part of the UK. Failure to understand such basics is why it is impossible to have a reasonable deal with these idiots.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2021, 07:49:44 PM »
Stop picking the wrong side. The French have demonstrated how absurd the EUs position is and how unreasonable their demands. Boris asked

"Do you think it would be reasonable to ask that sausages made in Toulouse could not be sold in Paris?" to which Macron replied "Its not the same thing. Northern Ireland is not part of the UK."

Of course, it is part of the UK. Failure to understand such basics is why it is impossible to have a reasonable deal with these idiots.

Macron is half right. It's not the same thing, Toulouse & Paris are cities. So that was a pretty stupid thing for Boris to say. But what is Northern Ireland? Reading a bit about it, it's kind of confusing. In some instances it's referred to as a region of the UK, others a province and in others, a country. Albeit, all a part of the UK...I think.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2021, 08:43:08 PM »
Ok, should Corsica be banned from selling sausages to Paris? That's the same thing. It is every bit as stupid and if Macron thinks the UK will just spilt up because he won't agree a trade deal he's in for a shock. It was unbelievably clumsy of him ... if not outright ignorant.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1449330/emmanuel-macron-brexit-news-latest-g7-summit-northern-ireland-protocol

Also ... question ... the G7.

1. Boris Johnson
2. Macron
3. Merkel
4. Trudeau
5. Biden
6. Mario Draghi
7. Suga Yoshihide

What is Ursula Von Der Leyen doing there? The EU is not part of the G7. Fuck off home you meddling cunt.  >o<

Either the EU is part of the G7 in which case send Macron, Merkel and Draghi home, or the EU is not part of the G7 and Von Der Leyen is not welcome. The French, Germans and Italians should not have their handler there putting pressure on issues using the leverage of nations who are NOT part of the G7. The EU is full of complete wankers.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2021, 05:28:18 AM »
Ok, should Corsica be banned from selling sausages to Paris? That's the same thing. It is every bit as stupid and if Macron thinks the UK will just spilt up because he won't agree a trade deal he's in for a shock. It was unbelievably clumsy of him ... if not outright ignorant.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1449330/emmanuel-macron-brexit-news-latest-g7-summit-northern-ireland-protocol

Also ... question ... the G7.

1. Boris Johnson
2. Macron
3. Merkel
4. Trudeau
5. Biden
6. Mario Draghi
7. Suga Yoshihide

What is Ursula Von Der Leyen doing there? The EU is not part of the G7. Fuck off home you meddling cunt.  >o<

Either the EU is part of the G7 in which case send Macron, Merkel and Draghi home, or the EU is not part of the G7 and Von Der Leyen is not welcome. The French, Germans and Italians should not have their handler there putting pressure on issues using the leverage of nations who are NOT part of the G7. The EU is full of complete wankers.

I'd say clumsy for both Boris and Macron. They both sound pretty daft.

Perhaps they should just change the moniker to G8.

It's all pretty murky. I mean Canada is a country, represented by Trudeau, but it is still a part of the British Commonwealth, whatever that means. Since a big part of the G7 is about trade, it makes sense that Canada is there and not just represented by Boris as they as a trade entity are very important. Same goes for the EU - Very important to all things trade across Europe and abroad. So yeah, the EU should have representation just as Canada does.
From an American perspective the EU has just as much importance as the UK does. I say welcome the EU into the forum.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »
Well ... controversial but I have no idea what Trudeau is doing there either. Surely China get a seat at the table before a pisspot province in the Arctic circle? You want to tackle climate change ... why bother with Canada? Surely you bring in China ... oh, and India for that matter. On that note, Draghi should probably pack up his shit and go home too.

And no, the EU should not have representation ... or if it does, you don't give Germany, France and Italy representation as they are already being represented by the EU. The French shouldn't have 2 seats at the same table for example. EU or France ... not both.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2021, 11:13:40 AM »
Stop picking the wrong side.

What happened to not being interested in this thread? I'm not going to let you waste any more of my time until you answer my previous question, otherwise you're just going to vanish again next time the discussion gets too uncomfortable for you.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2021, 11:15:20 AM »
British trade and the G7 I am interested in. Northern Ireland ... don't care. You changed the subject. You made the thread interesting again.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2021, 11:17:17 AM »
British trade and the G7 I am interested in. Northern Ireland ... don't care. You changed the subject. You made the thread interesting again.

You're the one who is veering off topic, which I would like you to stop doing. I was talking about Boris's comments on Northern Ireland specifically. You can read the thread title if that confuses you.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 09:59:05 PM »
The Tánaiste has an interesting proposal.

“Our vision should be different. It should be one that has the best chance of carrying the greatest number of people with us, North and South.

“It should appeal in particular to that middle ground I spoke about earlier, to gain the support of people who identify as both British and Irish.

“So, unification must not be the annexation of Northern Ireland.

“It means something more, a new state designed together, a new constitution and one that reflects the diversity of a bi-national or multi-national state in which almost a million people are British.

“Like the New South Africa, a rainbow nation, not just orange and green.”

I have some reservations — the comparison to South Africa seems ill thought out, and the orange in "orange and green" represents the British in Ireland, so that is already a symbol of this kind of unity — but I can get behind the point he's trying to make. Hopefully it's not just hot air like Boris's speeches.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2021, 04:40:26 AM »
Mary Lou McDonald, president of Sinn Féin, spoke on this topic recently.

Outlining her party’s political hopes for the future, the Sinn Féin president said that the party wants “an Ireland built on the principles of equality, fairness and justice. An Ireland, free from division, inequality and injustice. An Ireland in which ordinary workers and families have decent housing, good healthcare and a fair economy that works for them”.

She added: “I firmly believe that within this decade the people will have the opportunity to freely choose new constitutional and political arrangements on this island, as underpinned by the provisions of the Good Friday Agreement. We will achieve the referendum on unity, and we can win it.

“This is an exciting time to be an Irish Republican. But opportunity only becomes reality if it is seized. We all have a part to play in getting there. We need to continue to build the party and bring more and more young people into our ranks. We need to talk and listen and learn,” she said.

Sinn Féin recently became the largest party in Stormont, now that the DUP is disintegrating.

The times, they are a-changin'.