Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Joining the PC master race
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
I'm sorry.  I had a moment of weakness.

Thank you. The forum is a little better for it.

Just let it happen.
*He says smoothly as he touches rooster's thigh*
whhhhhy

Why not?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 06:46:43 PM »
The case is purely personal preference as long as it does what you need. When I first started building about 15 years ago, I got whatever I could afford. I became an enthusiast after that and preferred larger cases. They provide more room to tuck and hide cables (especially if you used heat shrink), and more room for larger fans for better cooling. I was very intense into PC building around 2004. Trying to find the perfect pairing of CPU with memory that had great latency (good CAS/RAS timings). This is back when FSB was actually a thing and you had to take it into account if you were ever going to overclock successfully. These days I go for small and quiet since my only desktops are a media center box and a server I use for training.

Anyway, good for you Saddam. It is great that you are doing it. If you need any help, I'd be happy to assist. I've built more than 200 PCs in the past 10 years, so I know a thing, possibly even two.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
Why not?
Cause PP2 could someday be my brother in law. It's just awkward and I didn't realize the people of FES were into that kind of kinky shit.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Why not?
Cause PP2 could someday be my brother in law. It's just awkward and I didn't realize the people of FES were into that kind of kinky shit.

It was Vauxy who said it.  Of course he's into it.

The case is purely personal preference as long as it does what you need. When I first started building about 15 years ago, I got whatever I could afford. I became an enthusiast after that and preferred larger cases. They provide more room to tuck and hide cables (especially if you used heat shrink), and more room for larger fans for better cooling. I was very intense into PC building around 2004. Trying to find the perfect pairing of CPU with memory that had great latency (good CAS/RAS timings). This is back when FSB was actually a thing and you had to take it into account if you were ever going to overclock successfully. These days I go for small and quiet since my only desktops are a media center box and a server I use for training.

Anyway, good for you Saddam. It is great that you are doing it. If you need any help, I'd be happy to assist. I've built more than 200 PCs in the past 10 years, so I know a thing, possibly even two.

Thanks, broseph.  I appreciate that.

Ghost of V

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »
Why not?

I guess you missed every time we've made a joke about A&A being PP2.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 06:55:25 PM »
Saddam what operatory systematic did you commence to receive from the interweb.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »
I didn't, I just hated it every time.

Someone send me the money to make my own computer. plx n tank u

Ghost of V

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
I didn't, I just hated it every time.

Then it's working.  ;D

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »

Yeah, those are good points. I bought a fairly large case myself, and I'm finding that I would prefer a bit more space for more fans (thanks to no AC in my house), and an easier time cleaning components. Even though 80% of my HDD and CD slots are empty, I'd still like more space.

So the bigger the better, imo

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 03:47:20 AM »

Shh, I was hoping he wouldn't realise he needs software until he tries to boot it for the first time.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 03:52:36 AM »

Shh, I was hoping he wouldn't realise he needs software until he tries to boot it for the first time.

I will literally roll on the floor laughing if sadman forgot to order an operating system.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 04:09:36 AM »
I am aware that I will need software, but I wasn't planning on ordering any until I consulted with the wise people here.  Which I might as well do now.  Any recommendations?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2015, 04:11:09 AM »
I am aware that I will need software, but I wasn't planning on ordering any until I consulted with the wise people here.  Which I might as well do now.  Any recommendations?

OpenBSD 5.6.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:13:10 AM by Parsifal »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 04:23:55 AM »

It's a gaming computer, so your options are pretty much limited to Windows, Windows, and uhh, Windows. When it comes to broad spectrum gaming there really isn't another option. If you have one specific game that you want to play, then some drudging through Linux would be a time waster but money saver. You're building a computer so OSX isn't even a (legal) option.

If do make the poor choice of opting for Linux, at least do yourself a favor and install Mint or Ubuntu. Parsifal's suggestion is just sadism.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:26:12 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2015, 04:27:40 AM »
If do make the poor choice of opting for Linux, at least do yourself a favor and install Mint or Ubuntu. Parsifal's suggestion is just sadism.

I didn't suggest installing Linux, so I don't see what my suggestion has to do with the rest of this paragraph.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2015, 04:31:13 AM »
I didn't suggest installing Linux, so I don't see what my suggestion has to do with the rest of this paragraph.

I didn't suggest you suggested Linux. I suggested Linux distros and then noted that the system you suggested is sadism.

Ghost of V

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2015, 05:11:47 AM »
Ubuntu's a good OS for internet and basic use. Absolutely not for a gaming computer, though.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 05:36:40 AM »
He's a novice who wants to game. He needs Windows.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2015, 05:43:43 AM »
Windows it is, then.  Another $120 to sink into this. :(

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2015, 06:39:54 AM »
Ubuntu's a good OS for internet and basic use. Absolutely not for a gaming computer, though.

Incorrect on both counts. A gaming computer is the one use case Ubuntu fits well, since Steam just ignores all the system libraries and ships its own, so the fact that Ubuntu is a crappy distro doesn't actually matter in that case.

Another $120 to sink into this. :(

No, that's not how you Windows. Stop being a noob.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:41:53 AM by Parsifal »