Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #460 on: September 10, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
France has laws in place that forbid the bastardisation of the language, particularly the use of Anglicised French on signage in public.  If such signage is found, the merchant in question can be cited and fined. The use of foreign languages on signage, in music, websites, etc, is also severely limited.

See the Toubon Law.

« Reply #461 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »
We need similar laws for racist Jews on the internet.

Rama Set

« Reply #462 on: September 10, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
France has laws in place that forbid the bastardisation of the language, particularly the use of Anglicised French on signage in public.  If such signage is found, the merchant in question can be cited and fined. The use of foreign languages on signage, in music, websites, etc, is also severely limited.

See the Toubon Law.

The Toubon Law only mandates the use of French in all government, commercial and public communications.  There is nothing I can see that speaks to the quality of French to be used.

http://www.humanities360.com/index.php/toubon-law-and-the-languages-of-france-1649/

« Reply #463 on: September 10, 2014, 09:49:07 PM »
Haven't we learned everything this tard has to teach?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #464 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:49 PM »
QUOTE: "We need similar laws for racist Jews on the internet." Since Jews are not a race, the comment itself is stupid, but then, you are as stupid as you look.

In regard to the Toubon Law, it also applies to the bastardisation of French. I will attempt to find some information on that for you (and for me). I had read it it a few months ago, but I'm darned if I remember where.

FAPP, you are the fucktard here, not me. Grow up.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 10, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »
As to the "bastardization" of English I daresay that the flexibility it employs and has always employed is what allowed it to become so prevalent.
Uh, no. English is actually a relatively poor language as long as flexibility and communicative power goes. The British Empire is what allowed English to become prevalent:

Compare with the modern Anglosphere:

Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #466 on: September 10, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »
PIZAA, that is a dumb thing to say. English is the second most widely spoken language on Earth today, after Mandarin. And Mandarin is spoken largely as an official language in countries in Asia. English is spoken as an official language in countries all over the world.

There were two reasons for the spread of English. 1, was indeed the spread of the British Empire. But the second reason was the fact that English assimilated so many words from so many different languages and continues to do so now. English to this day contains the largest vocabulary of pretty much any language in existence. Denying this is plain stupid.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:44:16 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #467 on: September 10, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
It appears I mistook France for Quebec. The Charter of the French Language not only guarantees that French shall be the official language of Quebec, but even goes so far as to suggest that French has to be written larger than English (or other languages) on signage, and that if possible, French should be to the left of other languages on signage, and that words from other languages like names be conformed to French grammar (see the following quote in which the language authorities actually did NOT get their way, oddly enough, but I am guessing that what I read a few months back was a time when they did).

QUOTE: "Levying fines of up to $7000 per offence, Charter enforcers were widely labelled in the English media as the "language police" or "tongue troopers". While the Office québécois de la langue française (OQLF) provides several warnings[citation needed] before resorting to legal sanctions, allegations that it has abused its powers has led to charges of racism and harassment.[29] The OQLF took action against stores retailing imported kosher goods that did not meet its labelling requirements, an action perceived in the Jewish community as an unfair targeting that coincided with a high-profile case against the well-known Schwartz's delicatessen, the owner of which was subjected to failed legal action by the OQLF due to the apostrophe in his sign, which remains.[30] In 2002, there were reported cases of harassment of allophone merchants who refused to speak French.[31]" {Wikipedia}

And no, I did not choose the quote because it pertained to a Jew. That was incidental.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:42:36 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Rama Set

« Reply #468 on: September 10, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »
But they are not particularly safeguarding against bastardization so much as ensuring French's prevalence. Indeed, anyone in Quebec who has heard uttered "le weekend" knows that Québécois french can be just as mutt-like as English.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #469 on: September 10, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
Yes, you can say what you like, but try writing it on a sign.

« Reply #470 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
FAPP, you are the fucktard here, not me. Grow up.

Is that Yiddish. I am keen to know more about Jews.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 10, 2014, 11:28:19 PM »
Well, one, we don't want a high conversion rate.
Well that seems silly.  What, don't want to save people or something?

Two, .2% of the population is not unusual for a small nation. Imagine being a Rohingya, which nation is small enough to NOT have its own nation, but to be ruled (rather badly) by Myanmar. Or how about a tiny tribe of naked Natives in the Venezuelan rain forest?
Umm.... what small nation?  That's THE WHOLE WORLD!  0.2% of the WORLD POPULATION is Jewish, in and out of Israel. 

What you consider crappy is classified as pretty choice by large numbers of people. Israel, with proper irrigation, has some of the richest farmland in the world.Everything from dates and nuts to oranges and other fruits is produced exported from the Land. Granted, a weakness is the supply of water, but that IS and has ALWAYS BEEN a perennial problem that will hopefully be resolved evolved eventually. You obviously have little knowledge about that which you speak.
It really isn't.
http://wcfcourier.com/business/local/nation-s-richest-farmland-soil-touted-by-illinois-iowans-object/article_c3c72757-9e8e-53d1-b2ec-a73bb915bf8e.html
http://www.eoearth.org/view/article/152375/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Israel

Only 20% of the land area is naturally arable.

Israel has also invested a lot in agricultural technology meaning the land isn't very good for farming without technology.  Thanks God.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #472 on: September 10, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »
QUOTE: "Well, one, we don't want a high conversion rate."

"Well that seems silly.  What, don't want to save people or something?"

Judaism has NEVER claimed that one needs to saved from anything. Judaism is the civilisation of the Jewish People. Aside from people born Jewish, and those few called to join us as Jews by Choice, we have little interest in making other Jews out of non-Jews. Why would we. That would be like the theoretical tribe in Venezuela wanting to make more little tribal members out of non-tribal members. What would be the point?

I never said that Israel didn't take a lot of work to make it arable. It certainly does. It is, after all, a desert. Although the environment during the Bronze Age was likely wetter and more amenable to farming. Hence the designation "The Land of Milk and Honey". But once you put the work into it, you get some pretty damn good results, and the Kibbutzim and the Moshavim have borne this out.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:02 PM »
Well, one, we don't want a high conversion rate.
Well that seems silly.  What, don't want to save people or something?

Yahweh prefers a small, dedicated group to... well, basically what Christianity has become. He doesn't want millions of people identifying as his people and not actually caring. In fact, I'm of the impression that there are passages in the Bible where he straight up murders his own congregations because they got too large.
_______

Judaism: where if bad things happen to you and you're not Jewish, they happened because you're not jewish. If bad things happen to you and your jewish, you're not a good enough jew. If bad things happen to you and you're a good jew, too bad.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:38:55 PM by Tausami »
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Ghost of V

« Reply #474 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
Is there any truth to the claim that the world is run by a bunch of evil Zionists?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 10, 2014, 11:39:16 PM »
Is there any truth to the claim that the world is run by a bunch of evil Zionists?

If there wasn't any truth to it people wouldn't say it.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #476 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:33 PM »
QUOTE: "Is there any truth to the claim that the world is run by a bunch of evil Zionists?"

Do refer to "The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" for a clever forgery of a book that supposedly laid out the plan for Jews to take over the world. The book was actually composed by the Okhrana, the Czarist Secret Police, toward the end of the 19th Century. That is where that got started, though.

QUOTE: "Judaism: where if bad things happen to you and you're not Jewish, they happened because you're not jewish. If bad things happen to you and your jewish, you're not a good enough jew. If bad things happen to you and you're a good jew, too bad."

None of which are true, but ok.

QUOTE: "Yahweh prefers a small, dedicated group to... well, basically what Christianity has become. He doesn't want millions of people identifying as his people and not actually caring."

This gets us into the whole "Chosen People" business, which is misunderstood by Jews and non-Jews alike.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 11, 2014, 01:00:43 AM »
QUOTE: "Well, one, we don't want a high conversion rate."

"Well that seems silly.  What, don't want to save people or something?"

Judaism has NEVER claimed that one needs to saved from anything. Judaism is the civilisation of the Jewish People. Aside from people born Jewish, and those few called to join us as Jews by Choice, we have little interest in making other Jews out of non-Jews. Why would we. That would be like the theoretical tribe in Venezuela wanting to make more little tribal members out of non-tribal members. What would be the point?
Power?
Also, so Judaism isn't a religion?

I never said that Israel didn't take a lot of work to make it arable. It certainly does. It is, after all, a desert. Although the environment during the Bronze Age was likely wetter and more amenable to farming. Hence the designation "The Land of Milk and Honey". But once you put the work into it, you get some pretty damn good results, and the Kibbutzim and the Moshavim have borne this out.
So God gave your people a desert and said "Have fun with that?"  I honestly think God hates Jewish people.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #478 on: September 11, 2014, 01:08:06 AM »
QUOTE: "Power? Also, so Judaism isn't a religion?"

Judaism is the Civilisation of the Jewish People. Religion is perhaps its single largest component, but it is more than just religion. It is the religion, customs, manner of life, and folkways of the Jews. I would encourage you to read "Judaism as a Civilization" by Mordecai M. Kaplan, the seminal work on the subject, for more on that.

As far as power goes, I suppose you could say that. But that has never really been an aim of the Jewish People. We have always wanted to look after ourselves, yes. But power as such has never been an aim of ours, anti-semitic claims aside.

As for giving us a desert, like I said, in the Bronze Age, it wasn't as dry. They called it the Fertile Crescent for a reason.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:40 AM »
Yes.
God is real.