How big is the galaxy
« on: January 31, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »
Hello fellow flat earthers, just wondering how big or small the galaxy is? please give me a real answer not "infinite".  :)

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: How big is the galaxy
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:24:11 AM »
Can I give you a real answer of we don't know?
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 01:17:58 AM »
Hello fellow flat earthers, just wondering how big or small the galaxy is? please give me a real answer not "infinite".  :)

Roughly 100,000 light years.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline TheFoil

• I need help how do i create a topic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 05:40:08 AM »

It is too big to comprehend
-TheFoil

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 06:39:00 AM »
It is vast, likely thousands of miles across, and who knows how deep. It might even be as big (or bigger?) as the Earth.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »
It is vast, likely thousands of miles across, and who knows how deep. It might even be as big (or bigger?) as the Earth.
Just thousands of miles? It in thousands of light years.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, it's clearly far bigger than the earth, the Earth circumference is millions of miles around. There are so many things about the Galaxy if we do not comprehend, and can't even begin to think we can comprehend. Sure there are theories, but the size of the Galaxy isn't anything any human can currently accurately measure.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:55:20 PM by ryjay707 »

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, it's clearly far bigger than the earth, the Earth circumference is millions of miles around. There are so many things about the Galaxy if we do not comprehend, and can't even begin to think we can comprehend. Sure there are theories, but the size of the Galaxy isn't anything any human can currently accurately measure.

The round earth theory uses the parallax method to determine the size of the galaxy, which would put it at 100,000 light years across.  I think you could use the same method for a flat earth model, but you would have to take two measurements simultaneously at a distance far enough apart to see a change in angle and know the exact distance between the two points. I haven't been able to find any flat earth research into this topic, tho it is completely possible to do.
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

SylvanCyborg

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:43:08 PM »

I'll answer in terms of the universe instead of galaxy, because [as far as I can tell] the galaxy is just an arbitrary boundary, which has no real meaning. Universe we understand to be all of material existence.

People, like Baby Thork, may choose to believe in black holes, and think they know how close or far stars are, good for them. I don't claim to know that, but even so, thought I might do a forum post, since the question is interesting to think about. Hope that's OK? I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

In terms of the universe (all of material existence) I actually believe it is essentially infinite. Because for anything to be defined, it must be defined in terms of something. It needs to have boundaries. So whatever is outside of that boundary is still by definition part of the whole.

This is a paradox, and maybe you feel it's not a real answer. Yet, I believe humans have limits on what we are able to understand. The true nature of the universe may never be understood. Or if somebody could understand It's not likely they would be able to express it in words (Or in a forum post)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:26:04 AM by SylvanCyborg »

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 11:53:31 PM »
I'll answer in terms of the universe instead of galaxy, because I feel galaxy is just an arbitrary boundary, which has no real meaning.
Here we go again. Snowflakes choosing feels over facts. No one cares how you feel.

The galaxy has a galactic centre. Around which stars, planets, comets, rocks, black holes etc revolve. In flat earth theory the earth is the galactic centre. In RE it is a super black hole some way away that no one has ever actually seen. The things revolving around the galactic centre are part of the galaxy. Anything not revolving around it is not. So drawing a boundary is very easy.

Is it moving with everything else around the centre? Yes? Count it. How far is it? Is it the furthest thing that counts? great. Join the dots of all such objects to get a perimeter. Also screw being British. Why am I forced to spell metre, kilometre, millimetre, with a stupid french 're' and then gas meter, diameter, barometer, parameter and perimeter all get the germanic 'er' treatment. Who decides the centre is re and the perimeter is er? That's bloody ridiculous. Filter/fibre, sober/sabre, enter/centre, colander/calendar ... ar ffs! There's already lots to remember in life!  >o<
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:15:33 AM by Baby Thork »

SylvanCyborg

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 03:29:57 AM »

I'll answer in terms of the universe instead of galaxy, because I feel galaxy is just an arbitrary boundary, which has no real meaning.
Here we go again. Snowflakes choosing feels over facts. No one cares how you feel.

Oh, you got me, I used the word feel! I corrected my post to be more clear. Hopefully I didn't use any words that would cause you to rashly launch further insults at me. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 05:34:24 PM »

The galaxy has a galactic centre. Around which stars, planets, comets, rocks, black holes etc revolve. In flat earth theory the earth is the galactic centre. In RE it is a super black hole some way away that no one has ever actually seen. The things revolving around the galactic centre are part of the galaxy. Anything not revolving around it is not. So drawing a boundary is very easy.

Is it moving with everything else around the centre? Yes? Count it. How far is it? Is it the furthest thing that counts? great. Join the dots of all such objects to get a perimeter. Also screw being British. Why am I forced to spell metre, kilometre, millimetre, with a stupid french 're' and then gas meter, diameter, barometer, parameter and perimeter all get the germanic 'er' treatment. Who decides the centre is re and the perimeter is er? That's bloody ridiculous. Filter/fibre, sober/sabre, enter/centre, colander/calendar ... ar ffs! There's already lots to remember in life!  >o<
As if saying the Earth was flat wasn't enough, but now it's the gravitational centre of the galaxy as well?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »

As if saying the Earth was flat wasn't enough, but now it's the gravitational centre of the galaxy as well?
Who said anything about gravity?

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=2635.msg66165#msg66165

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »

The round earth theory uses the parallax method to determine the size of the galaxy, which would put it at 100,000 light years across.  I think you could use the same method for a flat earth model, but you would have to take two measurements simultaneously at a distance far enough apart to see a change in angle and know the exact distance between the two points. I haven't been able to find any flat earth research into this topic, tho it is completely possible to do.

But really those are just guesses. They're "educated" But it's something far beyond what any human can know right now. We can know if the earth is flat or round by going up high enough to see. Or by going to the wall/barrier of the edge of the world

However for size of the galaxy, That's a guess, we don't even know and probably will never know what it looks like.

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 01:18:29 AM »

But really those are just guesses. They're "educated" But it's something far beyond what any human can know right now. We can know if the earth is flat or round by going up high enough to see. Or by going to the wall/barrier of the edge of the world

However for size of the galaxy, That's a guess, we don't even know and probably will never know what it looks like.

The parallax method is not a guess, it's geometry. You can make a pretty accurate picture using it. I suggest googling how it works.
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 02:56:37 AM »
Parallax is rarely, if no longer used to measure great distances in space. Astronomers have been using Cepheid variables and Type 1A supernovae for decades as they can be accurately measured to an approximate distance of over 20 million light years, versus stellar parallax measurements which are only accurate to about 300 light years, given that you're measuring angles in milliarcseconds. For even greater distances, astronomers rely on spectral red shifting.