Likely, my last post
« on: August 13, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »
I've posted some questions on both the Q&A forum and the debate forum, and while there have been some views, there have been no replies. Therefore, I can only conclude there there are no FET answers to my questions. However, I do have RET answers, so I have no other recourse other than to remain an RE'er.
For all you RE'ers...when an FE'er states that you cannot use pictures or test data to support your claims for a RE as they can be faked, you should reply that the FE'er follow suit. They cannot use pictures or test data for the same reason. What is left to debate is personal experience, experiments and observations.
The common FE answer that "we don't know what the world map looks like" is absurd. If this were true, it would be impossible to travel long distances to a destination as the location of the destination would be unknown. This isn't the middle ages...this is 2017. Are you telling me that the FE'ers don't have any scientists smart enough to create the flat world map?
The common FE answer that "we don't know what lies beyond the ice rim" is absurd. This isn't the middle ages...this is 2017. Are you telling me that the FE'ers don't have any scientists smart enough to figure this out as yet?
The answer to these questions is "no, they don't". Actual scientists are not ignorant enough to believe the earth is flat.
Universal Acceleration is absurd. If it existed, the 14.7psi at sea level would be constantly increasing...it isn't. And it's not that the dark matter is accelerating both the flat earth and air at the same time, otherwise it would also accelerate a plane in the air which would make it impossible to fall to the ground.
The earth is round. I have personally witnessed different constellations in the sky between the northern and southern hemispheres. I have personally witnessed the sun at the horizon at dusk and dawn.
One does not move faster the further one gets from the northern pole.
The sun and the moon are not 3000 miles above the earth.
And...we are not the center of the universe.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: Likely, my last post
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »
I've posted some questions on both the Q&A forum and the debate forum, and while there have been some views, there have been no replies. Therefore, I can only conclude there there are no FET answers to my questions. However, I do have RET answers, so I have no other recourse other than to remain an RE'er.
For all you RE'ers...when an FE'er states that you cannot use pictures or test data to support your claims for a RE as they can be faked, you should reply that the FE'er follow suit. They cannot use pictures or test data for the same reason. What is left to debate is personal experience, experiments and observations.
The common FE answer that "we don't know what the world map looks like" is absurd. If this were true, it would be impossible to travel long distances to a destination as the location of the destination would be unknown. This isn't the middle ages...this is 2017. Are you telling me that the FE'ers don't have any scientists smart enough to create the flat world map?
The common FE answer that "we don't know what lies beyond the ice rim" is absurd. This isn't the middle ages...this is 2017. Are you telling me that the FE'ers don't have any scientists smart enough to figure this out as yet?
The answer to these questions is "no, they don't". Actual scientists are not ignorant enough to believe the earth is flat.
Universal Acceleration is absurd. If it existed, the 14.7psi at sea level would be constantly increasing...it isn't. And it's not that the dark matter is accelerating both the flat earth and air at the same time, otherwise it would also accelerate a plane in the air which would make it impossible to fall to the ground.
The earth is round. I have personally witnessed different constellations in the sky between the northern and southern hemispheres. I have personally witnessed the sun at the horizon at dusk and dawn.
One does not move faster the further one gets from the northern pole.
The sun and the moon are not 3000 miles above the earth.
And...we are not the center of the universe.

Sad but true.  You will not get any valid debate here.  Your point about fake data is very accurate. The Bible of FE aka the "Earth is not a globe" was written by a man that faked his experiments and was a known con man.  That much is proven. 

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
The argument here should be that Rowbotham's experiments and statements are moot since no one here has actually met him...for all I know, Rowbotham was actually Clyde Rumplestiltskin, a one-legged midget with a spastic colon writing this stuff up in his mother's basement...(to use an FE'ers defense)...

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »
Sad to see you go.

Many years ago, I talked with an FE'er who had some elegant ways to explain the nature of the FE world.  They weren't without problems - but it was hard work to dispute them.

I find this site to be interesting because it makes me think harder about the world around me.   It's an intellectually interesting challenge to come up with demonstrable proof that works within the constraints that the FE'ers impose for "evidence".

Incidentally, your complaint about air pressure and universal acceleration is incorrect.   Einstein's general relativity shows that you cannot distinguish a uniform gravitational field from uniform acceleration - so since the Earth's gravity is very nearly uniform over the height of the atmosphere - air pressure would be almost exactly the same if the FE'ers were right about universal acceleration.  The disproof of their theory is that gravity is greater at the poles and smaller at the equator, less on mountaintops than in valleys and so forth.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
Thanks 3DGeek...after thinking about your statement regarding universal acceleration, ok, I can buy that...so, if the flat earth is constantly accelerating against the atmosphere, why isn't the atmosphere spilling over the edge of the flat earth much like air moving out of the way as your car accelerates down the road? Do they have an answer for this?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
Thanks 3DGeek...after thinking about your statement regarding universal acceleration, ok, I can buy that...so, if the flat earth is constantly accelerating against the atmosphere, why isn't the atmosphere spilling over the edge of the flat earth much like air moving out of the way as your car accelerates down the road? Do they have an answer for this?

Yep - they do.

The claim is that the flat earth is infinite.   Beyond "The Great Ice Wall", the sun doesn't shine - and temperatures therefore gradually drop to below that at which mankind could possibly survive.   There is no edge and no way to explore more than some (unspecified) distance beyond the great ice wall...but there is also no "edge" for the air (or oceans) to flow over and vanish.

It's not entirely unreasonable - except that if there is no heat out there, the temperature would eventually drop below the freezing points of oxygen and nitrogen - and then to absolute zero.   At that point, the air pressure would drop to zero - and would be unable to oppose the air pressure in the habitable zone that we inhabit...so our air would in fact flow away - but not in the way that most people imagine that it might.

One possible counter to that is the speculation that there might be other circular regions of livable world out there (infinite numbers of them perhaps) - with their own suns and moons and stuff.   That would be enough to avoid the drop to absolute zero - and perhaps to retain the atmosphere indefinitely.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:58:42 AM »

I find this site to be interesting because it makes me think harder about the world around me.   It's an intellectually interesting challenge to come up with demonstrable proof that works within the constraints that the FE'ers impose for "evidence".

I can't always keep up with the discussions here but this forum has been a great source of both entertainment and education. It's a wealth of information about the world around us and how to interpret it.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
Just the fact that someone has a PhD after their name doesn't make them credible. There are plenty of PhDs who can't tie their shoes.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=35428.msg883455#msg883455

Who am I going to believe, a doctor of education; or you guys, who are not doctors of education?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:46:08 PM »

I can't always keep up with the discussions here but this forum has been a great source of both entertainment and education. It's a wealth of information about the world around us and how to interpret it.

Please see rule 8. No accounts intended to impersonate other others.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »
Well 3DGeek...isn't this ironic...I have to learn about the FE'ers from an RE'er...

So the infinite earth is an explanation...weak and unproven to even the least degree, but an explanation.

I see no ones answered my constellation question as yet...or any of the others for that matter.

So they say the sun and moon are 3000 miles away...I'm not sure how they stick the planets in there especially when Venus and Mercury pass in front of the sun. They must be pretty close to the earth...and pretty small...

Here's another question...I live in Florida...California is close to 3000 miles away to the west. When the sun hits the horizon in the west, is it cooking California???

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:53 AM »
Well 3DGeek...isn't this ironic...I have to learn about the FE'ers from an RE'er...

So the infinite earth is an explanation...weak and unproven to even the least degree, but an explanation.

I see no ones answered my constellation question as yet...or any of the others for that matter.

So they say the sun and moon are 3000 miles away...I'm not sure how they stick the planets in there especially when Venus and Mercury pass in front of the sun. They must be pretty close to the earth...and pretty small...

Here's another question...I live in Florida...California is close to 3000 miles away to the west. When the sun hits the horizon in the west, is it cooking California???

LOL.  I wish it would cook California.  Unfortunately no.  The sun set is an optical illusion of sorts because the sun is always anywhere from 35 to 3000 miles away (depending on who you ask) and it is always above the earth.  That is the best explanation I have ever gotten because the way FEs describe the sunset is nonsense when your light source is always above everyone.