Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2013, 04:51:59 AM »
Played about an hour of A Link Between Worlds, and I'm liking it on the 2DS. The joystick is much better than the dpad was for controls in A Link to the Past and I'm liking the early story more. Besides that it's pretty similar so far.

buuuuut you're missing out on the best 3D ever ;o;

I played it in 3D on a friend's XL. Wasn't terribly impressed, especially since 3D kills the battery faster. The 2DS feels very cheap and plastic-y, but I'm more than happy with it. ALBW was really fun as well, I'm yet to really delve into hero mode for my second playthrough.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »
ALBW?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »
ALBW?

Yes, the game we're currently talking about

Also, although I have an XL, I play games (ALBW included) on 2D about 95% percent of the time. I can only really enjoy the 3D effect in 30 second bursts until I'm reminded why it's a fucking nuisance.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:36:12 PM by Blanko »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
Played about an hour of A Link Between Worlds, and I'm liking it on the 2DS. The joystick is much better than the dpad was for controls in A Link to the Past and I'm liking the early story more. Besides that it's pretty similar so far.

buuuuut you're missing out on the best 3D ever ;o;

Also, the 2DS is among the ugliest consoles I've seen since the Virtual Boy. Why didn't you just get a cheapish 2nd hand 3DS?

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2013, 03:59:31 PM »
ALBW?

A Link Between Worlds, do try to keep up.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »
Also, although I have an XL, I play games (ALBW included) on 2D about 95% percent of the time. I can only really enjoy the 3D effect in 30 second bursts until I'm reminded why it's a fucking nuisance.

Really? I don't understand how everyone seems to be so bad with the 3D. I use it 99% of the time with literally no problem. None. Not a single one. It takes me literally no time to find the "sweet spot" and I never end up outside of it unless on purpose. I move the 3DS around, change positions, move around, raise and lower it all with not even the slightest problem. The 3D has literally never been a problem for me and the only time I have it off is if someone wants to see what I'm doing.

Plus I think A Link Between Worlds is gorgeous with it, especially the awesome perspective effects and their dizzying use of the stereoscopy in various dungeons and caves.

Obviously I don't care what anyone plays it on and if you prefer it without 3D that's fine, I just really don't understand how people seem to have such a difficult time with it. With the sheer amount of people I meet who have so much trouble with the 3D I feel like either everyone took literally ten seconds to try to figure it out before going all old and "grarh this newfangled whirr-sprocket gizmo is terrible!" or I'm some kind of god at using it.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »
I rarely have the 3D turned all the way up, just because I mostly play it in bedand the sweet spot is harder to maintain holding it above your head.

However, playing games like Mario 3D world and Pilot Wings in 2D just isn't as good.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »
ALBW?

A Link Between Worlds, do try to keep up.
Right. I skipped that one and thought you guys were just talking about A Link to the Past.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »

Really? I don't understand how everyone seems to be so bad with the 3D. I use it 99% of the time with literally no problem. None. Not a single one. It takes me literally no time to find the "sweet spot" and I never end up outside of it unless on purpose. I move the 3DS around, change positions, move around, raise and lower it all with not even the slightest problem. The 3D has literally never been a problem for me and the only time I have it off is if someone wants to see what I'm doing.

Plus I think A Link Between Worlds is gorgeous with it, especially the awesome perspective effects and their dizzying use of the stereoscopy in various dungeons and caves.

Obviously I don't care what anyone plays it on and if you prefer it without 3D that's fine, I just really don't understand how people seem to have such a difficult time with it. With the sheer amount of people I meet who have so much trouble with the 3D I feel like either everyone took literally ten seconds to try to figure it out before going all old and "grarh this newfangled whirr-sprocket gizmo is terrible!" or I'm some kind of god at using it.
I really don't have too much trouble with it either in regards to finding the sweet spot. But sometimes having the 3D maxed can make me a little queasy after awhile.

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2013, 08:25:29 PM »

I've used it for around an hour with both Pokemon and ALBW. I'm more interested in the gameplay, I didn't find the 3D to be much more than a gimmick. There's probably games out there that capitalise on it more than ALBW does, but I'm not really interested in them.

Even with the small screen on the 2DS, ALBW looks very pretty. The only thing I'd get the XL for is the big screen, which is great, but I found it to be a tad dimmer than the 2DS because of the 3D feature.

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2013, 11:02:30 PM »
Homeworld 2

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:27 PM »
Just started Dead Money for the first time. Been really boring so far.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2013, 12:22:01 AM »
Just started Dead Money for the first time. Been really boring so far.

Chronologically, that's the first one you're supposed to do.  The game's going to assume that you haven't already done OWB and LR, so prepare for some confusion on that front.  (You've obviously already done LR, but have you done OWB?  Pretty much everyone agrees that it's the best one.)  But anyway, I really liked DM.  I suppose it is kind of boring at the start, and there are points when it becomes head-bashingly frustrating, but it's worth sticking through to the end.  It definitely has the strongest narrative of all the add-ons, and for me, that was enough to overlook that stupid "beep beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP (head explodes)."

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2013, 12:39:05 AM »
I finished LR and started OWB with a previous character before I figured out I was playing them in the wrong order. Going to play them chronologically this time.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2013, 02:10:24 AM »
It makes no sense that the chronological order doesn't also go in order of difficulty! >o<

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2013, 04:24:03 AM »
I really don't have too much trouble with it either in regards to finding the sweet spot. But sometimes having the 3D maxed can make me a little queasy after awhile.
I've used it for around an hour with both Pokemon and ALBW. I'm more interested in the gameplay, I didn't find the 3D to be much more than a gimmick. There's probably games out there that capitalise on it more than ALBW does, but I'm not really interested in them.

Even with the small screen on the 2DS, ALBW looks very pretty. The only thing I'd get the XL for is the big screen, which is great, but I found it to be a tad dimmer than the 2DS because of the 3D feature.

Yeah, those I can understand (though I'm luckily not someone that any sort of 3D has any negative effect on). It's merely a conflict of opinions, but I wholeheartedly disagree about the 3D being a gimmick...well, except in the case of Pokémon, which uses it horribly and has frequent sub-15 fps drops with it on. In that game I turn 3D off every time I'm in a battle (unless it's an important one, like a gym battle, since those usually run fine). Otherwise, yeah.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
Really? Pokemon runs fine maxed out for me.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
Homeworld 2

Loved the first HW, even if it was fiendishly difficult.

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
Huh..

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
Oh...oh my...oh my god

im literally bursting with joy, joy is literally pushing outward from inside and tearing me at the hypothetical seams, i got so excited watching the first thirty seconds that i stopped because i'm already sold and i don't want to see a single thing more until i have that game in my hands

i don't even care if it'll be mediocre because dynasty warriors i just want