maria.f

Many questions, can you help?
« on: January 21, 2021, 10:31:06 AM »
Hello everybody,

I'm brand new to this forum and I have a lot of questions (sorry if this text is a bit poorly written, I had to use google translate because my english is not very good). I have to admit that I'm not quite sure what my final opinion on flat earth will be. Ever since I heard about it, the topic has never let me go. Many of the arguments sound so convincing that I can't help but believe them. The idea of ​​trusting my own eyes when it comes to science is incredibly empowering, but also a little eerie. I was never good at science in school, and somehow I've told myself all my life that I'm too stupid to understand things like that. I can actually understand most of the videos of flat earth followers, and they seem so logical to me! Now I ask myself: is that good? I also don't really understand what my medication does exactly, but I trust the doctor and just take it .. is that generally bad? Or is the flat earth a special case? I'm sorry for writing such a huge post, but I really want to find out more!

Many greetings Maria

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Many questions, can you help?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »
I also don't really understand what my medication does exactly, but I trust the doctor and just take it .. is that generally bad?
You need to find a middle ground. Trusting your doctor is generally good, but sometimes they reach the wrong diagnosis. They aren't trying to harm you, but people make mistakes.

Доверяй, но проверяй!

The best thing you can do is hear the arguments from both sides and decide what makes more sense to you.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 12:09:50 PM »
I also don't really understand what my medication does exactly, but I trust the doctor and just take it .. is that generally bad?

If you don't understand what your medication does, you should tell your doctor that so they can explain it to you.

They can certainly find someone to assist you if you need more help in understanding than they can provide.

It's never bad to ask your doctor questions.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 12:17:29 PM »
It's never bad to ask your doctor questions.
Very true. Understanding is essential, and should come before making up your mind either way.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

maria.f

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »
Thanks to both of you! You are of course right that one has to understand issues first and listen to both sides before making a decision. For example, I told my doctor that I would like to try homeopathy, although he thinks little of it, because my girlfriend has had good experiences with it and so do many others. But is there a “middle ground” with round vs. flat? Either do I believe my old geography teacher and the media or do I believe the experiments and evidence of the Flat Earth followers?

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 03:36:05 PM »
I would suggest that if you arent sure, you shouldn't believe either yet. Continue to examine and evaluate the experiments and evidence on both sides of the spectrum until you have the information necessary to make a confident assessment. Even then, stay open to new possibilities - you never know what you might learn in the future.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 08:55:46 PM »
Thanks to both of you! You are of course right that one has to understand issues first and listen to both sides before making a decision. For example, I told my doctor that I would like to try homeopathy, although he thinks little of it, because my girlfriend has had good experiences with it and so do many others. But is there a “middle ground” with round vs. flat? Either do I believe my old geography teacher and the media or do I believe the experiments and evidence of the Flat Earth followers?

If you have studied geometry, then here is something to consider. The surface area of a flat earth would be 2.46 times that of a round earth. Does it make sense to you that for every square metre of land and ocean that round earth theory says exists there is actually another 1.46 square metres that nobody has ever seen?
Devout and strictly adherent Atheist.

maria.f

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »
Thank you all for your help! This was really empowering. I'm looking forward to research more. I don't have a lot of free time but I'm very interested and will post my findings and questions here.