Time-lapse of SpaceX dragon capsule docking with ISS
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »
SpaceX recently posted this video to their official twitter feed. Not only is the curvature of the earth clearly visible, but the flat surfaces of the ISS are also visible which may rule out lens distortion as an explanation for the curve.

How is this phenomenon best explained by modern flat earth theory?

Update:
This thread may also be used to discuss why SpaceX as a private company would choose to spend resources on a fake a mission to the ISS. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:16:11 PM by Airplane »

Re: Time-lapse of SpaceX dragon capsule docking with ISS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 04:25:30 AM »
Honestly, this looks pretty fake. Looks like a model being suspended over a moving background. We don't see it dock either, which is a bit suspicious.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
Honestly, this looks pretty fake. Looks like a model being suspended over a moving background. We don't see it dock either, which is a bit suspicious.

Perhaps you could explain further why one video, of one flight, out of a 60-year-plus, well-documented history of space flight, is "suspicious" ... ?
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
Perhaps you could explain further why one video, of one flight, out of a 60-year-plus, well-documented history of space flight, is "suspicious" ... ?
What makes you think that this one video is the only one that's suspicious? (Especially keeping in mind that you know that's not the case, because you were involved in discussion of other specific videos. Why lie?)

It's the only one being discussed in this thread, because that specific video is the subject of the thread. If you want a more general thread, start one - no need to hijack an existing one.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 10:15:25 PM »

I believe I summed up my thoughts about it in my initial post. The video looks like a model superimposed over a moving image. And that coupled with the fact once we get very close to the object, the video cuts.

I didn't say anything about '60-year-plus, well-documented history' videos - though if you'd like to present something for me to take a look at, I'd be more than happy to give you my thoughts.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 10:52:09 PM »
I didn't say anything about '60-year-plus, well-documented history' videos - though if you'd like to present something for me to take a look at, I'd be more than happy to give you my thoughts.

Oh, where to start, especially with the moderator looking on ...

Here's a 2m49s speeded-up version of a Soyuz relocating from one docking port to another on the ISS.

Here's another Soyuz docking

...and another relocation

Do these look like models?

Nearly?

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 11:48:57 PM »

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 12:02:59 AM »

Yes.

Perhaps you could share what, in your opinion, a shuttle docking should look like?

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 12:07:51 AM »

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 02:22:21 AM »

Yes.

Perhaps you could share what, in your opinion, a shuttle docking should look like?

Having never seen it, it'd be pure speculation. I'm simply pointing out that the videos presented above look suspicious to me, for aforementioned reasons. I suppose in answer to your question as to what it should look like... 'not suspicious'... I suppose.

Yes.

Do these look like models too?

Yes - they look like models; but it's a good example of what can be done!

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2020, 02:32:52 AM »

Yes.

Having never seen it, it'd be pure speculation. I'm simply pointing out that the videos presented above look suspicious to me, for aforementioned reasons. I suppose in answer to your question as to what it should look like... 'not suspicious'... I suppose.

Yes.

Do these look like models too?

Yes - they look like models; but it's a good example of what can be done!

That's exactly my point though, theres no reason it looks fake. We dont have a real sense of what things look like in outer space, where the ambient lighting from the sun is completely different and (net) zero gravity environment screws up out normal frames of reference which give us the cues we pick up on the notice when things do look fake here on earth - think of all the shitty Hollywood special effects you've seen over the years!

One of the key things that reinforces my belief in things like the moon landing is just how shitty the lander looked! Surely if they were just trying to fool everyone they would have built something that looked impressive to the eye! But instead they had to make something that they could launch to the moon so the aesthetics of it unfortunately suffered quite a bit...

Theres two cents no one asked for at least

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 08:07:04 AM »
Why is the fact you don't see it dock suspicious? You've just declared the whole thing a model (without evidence) so that would have been easy to fake.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
Why is the fact you don't see it dock suspicious? You've just declared the whole thing a model (without evidence) so that would have been easy to fake.

Isn't it suspicious that it fades out just before the crucial moment? Perhaps not for you. It is for me.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »

Isn't it suspicious that it fades out just before the crucial moment? Perhaps not for you. It is for me.

Edited for Twitter. The whole thing is on YouTube

Nearly?

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 10:19:45 PM »

Did you mean to share this video? It's different to the original one we're discussing.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »

Did you mean to share this video? It's different to the original one we're discussing.

You had an issue with the original time lapse video not showing the docking. The video Tumeni just posted is the full approach and shows the docking as requested, non-time lapse, of the same mission. Jump to about 2:15:28 to see the docking event.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 11:39:54 PM »

You had an issue with the original time lapse video not showing the docking. The video Tumeni just posted is the full approach and shows the docking as requested, non-time lapse, of the same mission. Jump to about 2:15:28 to see the docking event.

It's a completely different video... If you'd like to discuss the issues with this one, then that's fine. A new thread perhaps?

Also, I didn't 'request' a video of docking. I simply stated that it was suspicious that in the video we're discussing (which looks off to me) that on top of it looking like a model suspending over a moving background, the additional fact that we don't see the docking is suspicious. Bearing in mind that the point of the original video was that it was a single, uncut timelapse of a docking.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 11:57:45 PM »

It's a completely different video... If you'd like to discuss the issues with this one, then that's fine. A new thread perhaps?

Also, I didn't 'request' a video of docking. I simply stated that it was suspicious that in the video we're discussing (which looks off to me) that on top of it looking like a model suspending over a moving background, the additional fact that we don't see the docking is suspicious. Bearing in mind that the point of the original video was that it was a single, uncut timelapse of a docking.

Your impression was incorrect of the original video. The original video was not intended as a single, uncut timelapse of a docking. It is a time lapse titled, "Time-lapse of Dragon on approach – two Dragons now docked to the @space_station" - A time lapse video of the 'approach', not the docking, hence the title. Why it matters that you desire the 'docking' part, I don't know, when that is not what the video is and stated as such. The second 'different' video is of the same mission, just not a time lapse, and it shows the docking, which for some reason you seemed to want to see.

If everything still seems suspicious and fake to you, then I guess that's just what it seems to you. I'm not sure what there really is to discuss.

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 12:40:41 AM »

Your impression was incorrect of the original video. The original video was not intended as a single, uncut timelapse of a docking. It is a time lapse titled, "Time-lapse of Dragon on approach – two Dragons now docked to the @space_station" - A time lapse video of the 'approach', not the docking, hence the title. Why it matters that you desire the 'docking' part, I don't know, when that is not what the video is and stated as such. The second 'different' video is of the same mission, just not a time lapse, and it shows the docking, which for some reason you seemed to want to see.

If everything still seems suspicious and fake to you, then I guess that's just what it seems to you. I'm not sure what there really is to discuss.

Very well - the original video never claimed to show the docking. However, it remains suspicious to me that it doesn't. I didn't 'want to see it'. The original premise of this topic was - 'look, an uncut timelapse of an approach to the ISS; how can that be explained?'

I explained it. Adding that not only does it look fake to me, the additional fact that we do not see the docking procedure adds another question mark in my mind.

If you don't want to discuss further, then that's fine. Take care.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »

Very well - the original video never claimed to show the docking. However, it remains suspicious to me that it doesn't. I didn't 'want to see it'. The original premise of this topic was - 'look, an uncut timelapse of an approach to the ISS; how can that be explained?'

I explained it. Adding that not only does it look fake to me, the additional fact that we do not see the docking procedure adds another question mark in my mind.

If you don't want to discuss further, then that's fine. Take care.

I'm just not sure what it is you want to discuss. You said, "Isn't it suspicious that it fades out just before the crucial moment? Perhaps not for you. It is for me."

My answer here, as for some others as well is essentially, no, it's not suspicious. You still think it is. I don't see anything that makes me believe it is fake. You feel it is in a non-specific way other than it looks "like a model suspending over a moving background." I could point out that you yourself can see the ISS through even just binoculars quite clearly moving across the sky tracking it with a simple app that tells you exactly where it is and when to see it. But I'm guessing that doesn't matter.
Is it that you think just the dragon capsule approaching and docking is fake or that the whole of the ISS is fake as well?