Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
SMF out of date
« on: April 06, 2020, 04:10:59 PM »
We are now a couple of versions behind with SMF and are running a version that is 3 years old.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571067.0

Please add to your maintenance schedule.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: SMF out of date
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 07:04:33 PM »
I know, it's on my to-do list. Just been busy lately. Thanks for bringing it up.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:55:46 AM »
To be fair, 2.0.17 came out 3 days after 2.0.16, so being 2 versions behind is a struggle I think most SMF-based sites have all been guilty of. I even know one that's 3 versions behind ;)

Neat addition in the new releases though: GDPR compliance comes baked in. There is some prerequisite work required to write out your privacy policies etc but it's super easy to turn on and takes care of most of the heavy lifting outside of publishing policy info.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:44:58 AM »
Neat addition in the new releases though: GDPR compliance comes baked in. There is some prerequisite work required to write out your privacy policies etc but it's super easy to turn on and takes care of most of the heavy lifting outside of publishing policy info.

Yeah, this is the main reason we haven't updated yet. This particular upgrade is not as simple as just changing the code and I need to set aside some time to test the upgrade before going live with it.

In an ideal world SMF would provide security patches on their own instead of bundling them with unrelated changes, but that's SMF for you.

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 12:22:36 AM »
If it helps, I've already tested the upgrade from 2.0.15 up to 2.0.17 (and prior to that, 2.0.14 to 2.0.15) on 2 separate SMF instances and have yet to encounter any issues. One instance was fairly vanilla, the other had quite a bit more tweaking. That is to say, using the standard SMF upgrade procedure, all goes smoothly. If you tend to shy away from the automated approach in favor of a more hands-on method, obviously YMMV.

If the repository you are running the site on right now matches what is in your github, I'd be happy to throw the code base onto my testdev server and see if it handles the upgrade smoothly. Mind you, it would be with my own database (obviously, I know, but it's worth stating in case that adds additional points of anxiety when it comes to doing the upgrade on your production env).

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
Thanks, but we have quite a lot of customisations and our database schema is also customised. While I'm sure vanilla SMF works well, the time investment for us is resolving merge conflicts between our version of SMF and the new release and then making sure that those haven't broken anything with our database.

We do have our own test environments (one for each person who works on the code), it's just a question of finding the time, which is becoming more difficult now that I'm a part-time student in addition to my work.