Offline ElTrancy

• God help and forgive me
    • View Profile
Elon Musk
« on: April 03, 2019, 01:15:55 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/29/elon-musks-plan-for-cheap-rapid-passenger-transport.html

Im not sure if you're aware of this article, but it's something Musk still plans to do. These rockets will leave the atmosphere and enter orbit. This will be available to the public, meaning that you no longer have to be an astronaut to go into space. Once this is released...this entire theory of this and that will be solved. Once this is released, we can all put this forum to rest...
Please fucking launch a mininuke at me, I've become hopelessly lost.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Elon Musk
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 01:37:04 PM »
I'm still waiting for vacuum tube trains and underground motorways.  ::)
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »
Well, we'll have to see.  ;)

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:04:02 PM »
If you simply want to reference things that took a while to come about, you can look at the history of mobile phones.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/history-of-mobile-phones/

Took us a while to get there, now didn't it?

And to further that point at the 1939 World Fair, self driving cars were supposed to be the next thing in the near future. We are now seeing that come to fruition. There is more to it than just lack of technological ability. A lot of it comes from supply and demand. Automobiles were still a new thing, and people enjoyed the thrill of being able to drive something that wasn't a horse. Then it became a symbol of prosperity. No one was interested in self driving cars. Now self driving cars are the new symbol of prosperity and there is a market demand. Companies aren't just going to make products for the advancement of tech. There has to be financial incentive - since this world is now corporate driven. (Even inventors today are looking at it from a financial perspective).

Peruse the rest of the list, Mr. Pessimist.

https://gizmodo.com/100-years-of-failure-10-technologies-we-were-promised-5423510
BobLawBlah.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 08:43:13 PM »
This is a really weak argument.
I'm still waiting for flying cars, robot butlers and 3 hour flights across the Atlantic.
But instead we have things like the internet and phones which can basically run our lives and answer pretty much any question we asked.

So some predictions for the future weren't as easy to deliver. That doesn't mean your tin foil hat needs re-tuning and "they" are up to something again?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
3 hour flights across the Atlantic.

Didn't the Concorde do this before it was decommissioned? I thought it did.
We are smarter than those scientists.
I see multiple contradicting explanations. You guys should have a pow-wow and figure out how your model works.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
3 hour flights across the Atlantic.

Didn't the Concorde do this before it was decommissioned? I thought it did.
Not 3, but it was much quicker than what we have now. (I just checked, 3 hours 30. Impressive).
And that's the point. The fact Concorde happened in the late 60s did imply we might be zooming across the Atlantic in a couple of hours by now.
But we aren't. Why?
Is it because faster than sound speeds and Concorde were all a hoax?
No, it's because F=ma, the more 'a' you want, the more 'f' you have to apply. For spacecraft going to the moon this wasn't a huge issue. Once the initial F was applied to get the craft on a trajectory to the moon (and that was a shitload of F, have you seen a Saturn V rocket, I have at the Kennedy Space Centre and they are ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE) the craft was in a vacuum so there was nothing stopping it. OK, there was earth's gravity slowing it down but, basically, they didn't have to keep their foot on the pedal, so to speak, to keep going.
But planes fly in the atmosphere, there's a load of wind resistance - you can feel that if you've been in a strong wind, now imagine you're travelling at hundreds of miles an hour let alone thousands.
And you have gravity trying to pull the plane back to earth.
So planes have to constantly apply thrust to keep going and this is costly. The faster you want to go, the more thrust you have to apply.
Concorde was fast but it wasn't cheap, even with the prices they charged it ran at a loss, they kept it going more for the prestige than because they were raking it in.
Until we find a cheap way of applying a lot of thrust we aren't going to be zipping across the Atlantic in a couple of hours and we aren't all going to have pleasure flights to space.
So instead of speed airlines have gone down the comfort route - we now have better food and seats and entertainment systems. This isn't because "they" are up to something. It's because of physics.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »
Even if it doesn't come out, if it does, that means finally, once and for all we can put this argument to rest, right? Or are they gonna black our the windows or play fake videos  ::) to keep the illusion and use real earth science to fly around the globe in under an hour?

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »
Even if it doesn't come out, if it does, that means finally, once and for all we can put this argument to rest, right? Or are they gonna black our the windows or play fake videos  ::) to keep the illusion and use real earth science to fly around the globe in under an hour?
Yes well if they make you put 3d glasses on before looking out the windows then maybe it's a possibility  ::). tv screens can't fake the look of realism, even VR is a long way off being photo realistic.

Although that does raise the question, has any flat earther ever been tricked by a tv? did you think the characters from Friends were actually there with you? If so... Do you only have one eye? :P
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 01:26:06 PM »
Yes well if they make you put 3d glasses on before looking out the windows then maybe it's a possibility  ::). tv screens can't fake the look of realism, even VR is a long way off being photo realistic.

Although that does raise the question, has any flat earther ever been tricked by a tv? did you think the characters from Friends were actually there with you? If so... Do you only have one eye? :P

Exactly...Elon Musk almost always follows through with his plans...the man's a genius (Gigafactories anyone?). If he says its possible, I'm almost certain it is.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 01:42:36 PM »
Exactly...Elon Musk almost always follows through with his plans...the man's a genius (Gigafactories anyone?). If he says its possible, I'm almost certain it is.
Maybe.  However his timelines tend to be overly optimistic, especially when it comes to SpaceX.  For example, Falcon Heavy was about 5 years late because he didn't realize how much work it would take reinforce the center core.  Crew Dragon is years late because it was an almost total redesign of the Cargo Dragon.  I think that he's being wildly over optimistic with his Starship project too.  One hundred passengers on a 6 month trip to Mars?  Color me hopeful but skeptical.
https://www.wired.com/2017/06/tesla-time-elon-musk-measures-everything-dog-years/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:47:10 PM by markjo »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 04:13:27 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/29/elon-musks-plan-for-cheap-rapid-passenger-transport.html

Im not sure if you're aware of this article, but it's something Musk still plans to do. These rockets will leave the atmosphere and enter orbit. This will be available to the public, meaning that you no longer have to be an astronaut to go into space. Once this is released...this entire theory of this and that will be solved. Once this is released, we can all put this forum to rest...

No it won't. They either won't have windows or they will have windows but our technology is advanced to the point where it would be difficult for us to tell the difference between a window and a HD flat screen encased in a widow pane an glass. If you don't believe me just take a trip to universal studios. Any visual observation made out of said "window" could easily be claimed to be fake.

In addition you still have to deal with things like refraction, chaotic optical conditions, and the limited perceptive ability of the human eye and brain.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »
So...what you are saying is that there is no way you can prove using the zetetic method of observation to prove the earth is either round or flat?  Unless you become a billionaire yourself and build your own rocket. Do you mistrust literally everything?
BobLawBlah.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »

No it won't. They either won't have windows or they will have windows but our technology is advanced to the point where it would be difficult for us to tell the difference between a window and a HD flat screen encased in a widow pane an glass. If you don't believe me just take a trip to universal studios. Any visual observation made out of said "window" could easily be claimed to be fake.

In addition you still have to deal with things like refraction, chaotic optical conditions, and the limited perceptive ability of the human eye and brain.
It may be possible to fake the view, but it's something else entirely to fake the acceleration and subsequent lack of gravity.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
So some predictions for the future weren't as easy to deliver.
So far, Elon Musk has delivered Paypal, which sucks, and a car that's really expensive.

Why is he a meme again? Is it just because he shitposts on twitter?
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 06:42:56 PM »
So some predictions for the future weren't as easy to deliver.
So far, Elon Musk has delivered Paypal, which sucks, and a car that's really expensive.
Actually, he's delivered several cars that are really expensive and a number of satellites to orbit (including a demo Crew Dragon capsule to the ISS) a lot cheaper than the competition.

Offline ElTrancy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 02:35:15 PM »

As said before, it's REALLY hard to fake the acceleration, the lack of gravity and such not...but why does it matter? The science DOESNT work unless the rocket LEAVES the atmosphere...which means unless is "leaves the dome" then there's no way it would work on a Flat Earth. Also, now you're just sounding ignorant...you literally will not believe anything unless you build your own rocket.

Actually going to the ISS: OBVIOUSLY FAKE

Actually going outside the atmosphere: WINDOWS AND SCREENS A SHIT

Literally the entire schooling system and the proof that we can go into space: LIARS