The sun controls the seasons.
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
We all know the sun controls the season. On a globe the earth tilts away or towards the sun and on the FE the sun moves away or more close to the earth. My question, investigation, is as follows. If the seasons are controlled by the sun moving closer and further away, how is the giant sun that appears during the season of fall explained? If the sun was close enough to look that huge then we would definitely feel the heat. Please help me understand this and help me prove your conclusion scientifically. Thank you so much.

p.s. if you could prove the earth was flat I would kiss you. I really pray there is more to life than me working my 9-5 just to pay bills and eat.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The sun controls the seasons.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
The seasons aren't controlled by the sun moving closer and farther away, I'm not sure who told you that. Please read the FAQ before posting threads in the future and do not ask people her to discuss random ideas you came up with by yourself.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
The seasons aren't controlled by the sun moving closer and farther away, I'm not sure who told you that. Please read the FAQ before posting threads in the future and do not ask people her to discuss random ideas you came up with by yourself.
He may have phrased it poorly, but he's not as off base as you seem to be implying. The seasons on the standard FE monopole map are caused by the sun moving 'closer and further' away (i.e. between it's North 'track' and it's South' track) over the year. Just because it doesn't change height doesn't mean the distance to it doesn't change by some factor.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »
He may have phrased it poorly, but he's not as off base as you seem to be implying. The seasons on the standard FE monopole map are caused by the sun moving 'closer and further' away (i.e. between it's North 'track' and it's South' track) over the year. Just because it doesn't change height doesn't mean the distance to it doesn't change by some factor.

The map shows a very exaggerated form of what the sun is doing. The actual movement is quite small and certainly wouldn't result in highly noticeable changes in the Sun's size.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »

The map shows a very exaggerated form of what the sun is doing. The actual movement is quite small and certainly wouldn't result in highly noticeable changes in the Sun's size.
It moves from being above the Tropic of Cancer, to above the Tropic of Capricorn. That's approx. 5000 kilometers. Or pretty close to the estimated height of the sun. It's not exactly a large amount compared to the distance it moves in a day, but it's not 'small' on the whole of things.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »
It moves from being above the Tropic of Cancer, to above the Tropic of Capricorn. That's approx. 5000 kilometers. Or pretty close to the estimated height of the sun. It's not exactly a large amount compared to the distance it moves in a day, but it's not 'small' on the whole of things.

Why did you just say that the "height of the sun" is 5000 km?

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »

https://wiki.tfes.org/Distance_to_the_Sun

3000 mi ~= 5000 km

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 09:14:28 PM »

3000 mi ~= 5000 km

I didn't write the wiki and not all FE'ers necessarily agree with what it says.

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:29:32 PM »

3000 mi ~= 5000 km

I didn't write the wiki and not all FE'ers necessarily agree with what it says.
I have never claimed they do, but without additional information on your personal beliefs, the wiki is all we have to draw on. You asked where I got 5000 km to the sun. That's where. If you disagree I'd be more than happy to discuss your particular model. But I would greatly appreciate it if those of you who disagree with the wiki would be up front about it more frequently like JRowe clearly is with his signature. I'm posting against the source numerous on this website refer us to for information on the FE. It's incumbent on you to be clear when your opinion differs imo. Going to 'well that's not what *my* model says' isn't helpful though if you don't lay out your model, or make it clear you disagree with the wiki. Without prior knowledge, or obvious information in a signature or something, I can only assume someone subscribes to the model in the wiki until told otherwise. What else am I to do?

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:52:38 PM »
I believe Rushy is correct. The seasons have nothing to do with the distance to the Sun. In fact, if you live in the Northern Hemisphere, then you are actually closer to the Sun in the winter!

The reason we have seasons is because the spin axis of the Earth is not perpendicular to the position vector defining its orbit. In other words, the Earth is tilted. Hence, as we move around the Sun, half the time one hemisphere receives more direct sunlight, and one receives less. This makes summer and winter. Transitioning between the two gives us autumn and spring.

So the context of this information is within the RET. But I can attest to its accuracy in that context.

I ask every one of my students to explain to me the reason why we have seasons on their final exams...to many folks do not know this :)
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
The seasons aren't controlled by the sun moving closer and farther away, I'm not sure who told you that. Please read the FAQ before posting threads in the future and do not ask people here to discuss random ideas you came up with by yourself.

Allow me to rephrase this. Based on the flat earth map from the flat earth wiki the seasons are controlled based on the location of the sun at that time. As you or someone said somewhere on this thread the sun will be down south a bit more and we will have winter in the north, e.g. USA where I live. To rephrase my original post question. If a sun that is only 30 miles across moves so far away enough to cause winter how does it then appear larger than it does in the summer? We all know the further you are away from something the smaller it becomes.

do not ask people here to discuss random ideas you came up with by yourself.

Random ideas? I guess it would be random for me to ask a question about winter while still in summer. But seeing how my country will soon merge into winter and we will experience the biggest sunset of the year in the month of October the question of why does the sun grow in size when it should be further away from my location does not seem random to me.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »

FET'ers sees a highly noticeable change in the suns size each sunrise and sunset. "The sun appears to set due to perspective". Are you saying the distance the sun moves east to west(daytime to nighttime) is more than that of the sun moving north to south(summer to winter)? If that is the case, why is it not summer each day and winter each night?