Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
Re: The Lunar Module
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 12:11:16 AM »
So space travel is possible because people said so, and other people said those people were right? Got it.

Same applies to anything else in this world;

Person A says something, and this is confirmed when persons B, C, and D agree with what A says.

I say I've been to California, and other people say I'm right.
You say you went to work yesterday, and other people say you're right.
etc
etc

No?

Or are you just cherry-picking space travel because that's what you want to believe is wrong?

Cool. There's a guy in Australia who says he's Jesus and plenty of people insist he's correct, there's a whole host of people who've said they've been abducted by aliens, there are countless people who've been to faith healers and will support one another's claims of miracles, are they correct?
Or are you just cherry-picking space travel because that's what you want to believe is right?

... you defend it with nothing but empty insistence?

Not empty. I've cited numerous sources to back up what I said. You've cited none.

You wanted to discuss this, so discuss already. If all you're going to do is go "I'm right and you're wrong!" I don't see any reason to bother.

Again, not just doing this. Cited multiple sources of proof and data.

The lunar module was a propaganda tool, thoroughly impractical and decked out in colors meant to announce triumph.

Wow, your best point is that it's the wrong colour for you?
This is a waste of time. You completely ignore what I say, repeat insistence people are correct, and do nothing else.

Don't bring this subject up in threads constantly if you refuse to debate it. Adios.
My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
Cool. There's a guy in Australia who says he's Jesus and plenty of people insist he's correct, there's a whole host of people who've said they've been abducted by aliens, there are countless people who've been to faith healers and will support one another's claims of miracles, are they correct?

OK, when you have 10 years' worth of photos of what they've done, 3 years' worth of video also showing what they've done, a stack of documenation showing what they've done and how they did it, a number of independent confirmations from amateur and professional sources, in multiple countries, what they've done, and the work of hundreds of scientists, worldwide, based on what they did and data they provided, then come back and let us know who they are and provide more detail on them. Until then ...

Or are you just cherry-picking space travel because that's what you want to believe is right?

No, I'm happy that mainstream science is right about many other things, too. Shape of the Earth and the Moon (both globes). Shape of the planets (all globes) and their moons (again, all globes).

You wanted to discuss this, so discuss already. If all you're going to do is go "I'm right and you're wrong!" I don't see any reason to bother. This is a waste of time. You completely ignore what I say, repeat insistence people are correct, and do nothing else. Don't bring this subject up in threads constantly if you refuse to debate it. Adios.

I have been discussing this for a page or so. Don't make it sound like I haven't.

I've cited multiple confirmations for what I said, you've come up with imaginary people in Australia.

You insist you're right because it "Don't make sense" or "Don't look right" , I insist I'm right because I have the evidence I've cited to back my statements up.

You're the one who insists the LM is the "wrong colour", as if that's evidence of something. I've cited construction detail, and other documentation about its build.

You're the one repeatedly insisting he/she is correct, based on nothing. I insist I'm correct with the documentation to back it up.

=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline nickrulercreator

• It's round. That much is true.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »
Ditto for the tin foil; there is precisely no reason for it to exist, except for the propaganda value.

For the remainder of this post I'll be discussing two parts of the craft, as I'm not sure what you're referencing as "tin foil."

First, the solid aluminum hull. The aluminum hull, the gray part underneath the gold foil, was what astronauts lived in. It acted as an airtight seal, and as the structural support of the whole thing. That had a reason to exist. An image of the aluminum frame can be seen here:

Second, the gold foil wrapped around the aluminum hull. That served mainly as thermal control, as well as a secondary purpose of micrometeoroid protection and radiation shielding (the latter of which was mainly done by the aluminum hull). The foil consisted of at least 25 layers of different materials. The outer layer was kapton and aluminized mylar foil with gold leafing on it. This served as thermal control. The highly-reflective surface helped to reflect the sun's radiative heat away from the LM, keeping the inside of the LM cool, as well as keeping heat inside the LM so that it didn't radiate into the vacuum of space. A layer of aluminum helped with micrometeoroid protection Other layers included metallic inconel, which was primarily used for areas that had to withstand more direct heat, such as the RCS plume deflectors. That can be seen as the black material on the deflector underneath the RCS engine here: . This was also coated in heat-resistant Pyromark paint. Another material used was nickel, which also helped dealing with high temperatures, mainly from the engines.

As for the crinkliness of the spacecraft, this was done on purpose. The layers were folded and crinkled so as to provide an easier venting path for heat, and to minimize contact between the layers themselves and the aluminum hull. If the layers weren't crinkled, they'd be touching much more, allowing for conduction of heat to take place far easier, heating up the spacecraft to dangerous levels.

All of this information can be found here in detail: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM04_Lunar_Module_ppLV1-17.pdf. This website provides detail as to where exactly these materials were used on the spacecraft: http://home.earthlink.net/~pfjeld/lmdata/ The LM handbook is a great resource as well: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM10HandbookVol1.pdf

'll admit, there's a cool-factor there, vacuum being so empty that something so fragile can withstand it, but like any 60s sci-fi it falls apart when you actually think about it.

What would make it fall apart? The aluminum hull was rigid. The LM had interior support rods as well: . It could survive standing on Earth as it was being built and tested, why couldn't it survive in space where there is no gravity, and on the Moon where there is only 1/6 gravity?

The combined CM-LM living/working space is just such a bad idea. The lunar lander is the crux of the mission, by any account it ought to be kept in the best possible condition, not constantly pressurized then depressurized then repressurized (particular with such fragile components) once it makes it to the moon, and with astronauts tramping all through it.

What other way would astronauts get out of the LM then? You can't have a pressurized spacecraft suddenly open to the vacuum of space, you'd have no air left, and it'd damage the spacecraft. You also can't have the LM constantly depressurized, the astronauts need a space to live inside. The pressurization system and LM was built to withstand the multiple pressurizations and depressurizations. I don't see why it wouldn't be. The engineers at Grumman and NASA were smart, they accounted for this. The astronauts also weren't "tramping all through it." Once inside, it was really just used for minimal walking around (it wasn't a huge amount of space), and sleeping.

Plus imagine the worst happened and the module broke down on the moon; unlucky Mr Three without the name recognition of Armstrong or Aldrin suddenly loses a chunk of his living space and has to trust that a docking port holds rather than a more secure airlock.

Collins would have 3X the space in the CM if Aldrin and Armstrong didn't come back. The LM was great for adding space for 3 people, but not necessary if there is only one. Also, the docking port would hold, why wouldn't it? It's a much more secure airlock than the LM which could've broken away if something hit it. Your logic here really doesn't make sense. You're grasping at straws.

A bunch of men banging around the connector while they float from module to module over a period of several days in a high-risk, brand new environment is hardly what a sensible organization would opt for.

First, astronauts weren't constantly transversing between the CM and LM. Most of the mission to and from the Moon was spent in the CM, not in the LM. The LM was only meant for landing on, and lifting off of the Moon, so it wasn't necessary to be in it constantly except for inspection, preparations for landing, and other similar tasks.

Second, I'm confident that the astronauts weren't wildly banging around the CM-LM connection, and took care as they transferred. These people are highly intelligent, why would they be so stupid to do something that careless? It was much more likely that they floated freely between the spacecraft, and put a hand or two on the wall to keep steady.

Third, I'm also confident the engineers took into account the dangers of breaking the connection while in space. They certainly would make sure the connection was rigid and could withstand the average bump.

Really, they shouldn't need any more than a frame with a couple of rockets, two chairs, seatbelts and pockets on.

Uh, that's basically what they had, minus the chairs and seatbelts. The astronauts stood so as to have a better view out the window when landing, and it was only 1/6 gravity, so it really wasn't necessary for them to be sitting.

But it isn't about the practicality of the mission, it's about the look of the thing.

If it was about looks, the spacecraft would've looked far different. I can guarantee you that.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

BillO

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 04:05:07 PM »
It demonstrates the mission fundamentally does not make sense.
And you would be what?  An aerospace engineer?

If that isn't a disproof
Unless your answer to the above was "Yes", then no, it's not a disproof, it is merely your uneducated and inexpert (dare I say ignorant?) opinion only.

I don't know what is.
Clearly.

Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
'll admit, there's a cool-factor there, vacuum being so empty that something so fragile can withstand it, but like any 60s sci-fi it falls apart when you actually think about it.

What would make it fall apart? The aluminum hull was rigid. The LM had interior support rods as well:
Turn of phrase: the idea falls apart, not the physical module.
But firstly, before I get into it, thank you for providing an actual response to my posts.

I'll focus primarily on the area for 'thermal control and radiation shielding.' Micrometeoroid protection doesn't seem like a priority, simply because if something so fragile as to be torn by a screwdriver acts as protection then there's little else that wouldn't. As my response is going to mainly be tied to pointing out how the alternative, less stylish approach would be preferred I'll focus on that.

What other way would astronauts get out of the LM then? You can't have a pressurized spacecraft suddenly open to the vacuum of space, you'd have no air left, and it'd damage the spacecraft. You also can't have the LM constantly depressurized, the astronauts need a space to live inside. The pressurization system and LM was built to withstand the multiple pressurizations and depressurizations. I don't see why it wouldn't be. The engineers at Grumman and NASA were smart, they accounted for this. The astronauts also weren't "tramping all through it." Once inside, it was really just used for minimal walking around (it wasn't a huge amount of space), and sleeping.
They don't have to live inside the LM, as I said. That is how things are said to be, not the necessary state. Given the lack of a lunar atmosphere, and so lack of danger from re-entry, on top of the weak gravity to minimise how much force is needed to escape it, the 'module' doesn't need to be any more than a frame with a couple of rockets attached for momentum control. Not only is this lighter, something of huge importance when it comes to space travel, but it's substantially simpler, and simpler is always going to be preferred by anyone on a mission far away from any repair shops and tools. There's less that could go wrong. The simple presence of spacesuits fulfil every other requirement of the module, and if they don't work there's no using the module anyway.
Instead of a separate module attacked to the ship, just make a room that can serve as an airlock and strap it down inside. It doesn't need to be airtight, it doesn't need to run the risk of something being knocked loose by the force of depressurisation. That gives you living space and substantially less in the way of weight to carry and elements to go wrong. Further, if there's a fault in the LM, that only prevents the moon landing rather than cutting off astronaut living space and resources. By every metric this is preferred.

Yes, as you say, no doubt they could plan to make the lunar module sturdy enough to take depressurisations, the astronauts be careful with how rarely they go through from one module to the other and so so less often, all of that, but the simple fact is you wouldn't want to take the risk. On any mission like this you would want to minimise how much could go wrong.
They added more, more and more moving parts prone to go wrong, even when it was unnecessary.

Also, the docking port would hold, why wouldn't it? It's a much more secure airlock than the LM which could've broken away if something hit it. Your logic here really doesn't make sense. You're grasping at straws.
I don't understand this argument. By its very nature, an airlock is part of the ship. It is substantially more secure than a docking port that is literally made to split apart. If something hits it, the LM blows away, most of their living space and possibly the astronauts themselves are knocked away with it.

Really, they shouldn't need any more than a frame with a couple of rockets, two chairs, seatbelts and pockets on.

Uh, that's basically what they had, minus the chairs and seatbelts. The astronauts stood so as to have a better view out the window when landing, and it was only 1/6 gravity, so it really wasn't necessary for them to be sitting.
They had airtight walls and a vessel capable of holding that pressure, mechanisms capable of depressurising and surviving that force, special legs they left behind, hell they even threw in a ladder...

But it isn't about the practicality of the mission, it's about the look of the thing.
If it was about looks, the spacecraft would've looked far different. I can guarantee you that.
Really? You get automatically shiny, triumphant colors, symmetrical designs...
Go behind the scenes at any factory, especially for the manufacture of vehicles. The real mechanisms never look nearly so pretty as those in the space programme, despite the fact the space programme has a hundred times the reasons to be concerned with practicality and to not waste weight and money on style.
My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
Half a dozen paragraphs of "They could have done this", "They should have done that" .... none of which actually disproves anything, nor negates any of the substantial body of record that documents what they actually did.

It's just the tired old "If I had been running the show, I would have..." with the implication that because the show wasn't run your way, that it was either faked or never occurred.

Nearly?

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »
The computer system alone to facilitate a trip in some imaginary space, would have encompassed 20 of these. No technology was available and still isn't. We see one side of the moon that never changes, it's a projection of light built by God. No one is landing on it, ever !

You've been duped by the evil one...….
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »
The computer system alone to facilitate a trip in some imaginary space, would have encompassed 20 of these.

20 of these ... what?

No one is landing on it, ever !

Yet we have mappings of the far side from Indian, Chinese, Japanese and American craft....

Nearly?

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »

They don't have to live inside the LM, as I said. That is how things are said to be, not the necessary state. Given the lack of a lunar atmosphere, and so lack of danger from re-entry, on top of the weak gravity to minimise how much force is needed to escape it, the 'module' doesn't need to be any more than a frame with a couple of rockets attached for momentum control. Not only is this lighter, something of huge importance when it comes to space travel, but it's substantially simpler, and simpler is always going to be preferred by anyone on a mission far away from any repair shops and tools. There's less that could go wrong. The simple presence of spacesuits fulfil every other requirement of the module, and if they don't work there's no using the module anyway.
Instead of a separate module attacked to the ship, just make a room that can serve as an airlock and strap it down inside. It doesn't need to be airtight, it doesn't need to run the risk of something being knocked loose by the force of depressurisation. That gives you living space and substantially less in the way of weight to carry and elements to go wrong. Further, if there's a fault in the LM, that only prevents the moon landing rather than cutting off astronaut living space and resources. By every metric this is preferred.

Yes, as you say, no doubt they could plan to make the lunar module sturdy enough to take depressurisations, the astronauts be careful with how rarely they go through from one module to the other and so so less often, all of that, but the simple fact is you wouldn't want to take the risk. On any mission like this you would want to minimise how much could go wrong.
They added more, more and more moving parts prone to go wrong, even when it was unnecessary.

I have a hard time visualizing what you're talking about, especially when you say things that seem contradictory like

Instead of a separate module attacked to the ship, just make a room that can serve as an airlock and strap it down inside. It doesn't need to be airtight, it doesn't need to run the risk of something being knocked loose by the force of depressurisation.
What kind of airlock doesn't need to be airtight and doesn't need to be depressurized?

For the later Apollo missions the LM stayed on the surface for several days, so bring able to take off spacesuits is a requirement.

As for connecting up the LM and the CSM into one living space, there were several alternatives considered, including just having one big spaceship go all the way from Earth to the surface of the moon and back. Constraints of time, money, and engineering complexity led to the final design.

Offline nickrulercreator

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 06:51:05 PM »
Turn of phrase: the idea falls apart, not the physical module.
But firstly, before I get into it, thank you for providing an actual response to my posts.

I see my mistake, thanks for the correction.

I'll focus primarily on the area for 'thermal control and radiation shielding.' Micrometeoroid protection doesn't seem like a priority, simply because if something so fragile as to be torn by a screwdriver acts as protection then there's little else that wouldn't.

The inside aluminum hull was fragile as it could be pierced, but the micrometeoroid protection was a priority because that was random. An astronaut can think, and know not to stab the aluminum hull. The micrometeoroid protection also did its job well. The aluminum sheets broke micrometeoroids into small fragments, stopped by successive layers. See the image on the top of page 8 for a better idea: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/LM04_Lunar_Module_ppLV1-17.pdf#page=8

Simpler, but impossible. The suits had no way of keeping a person alive for 3 days. The astronauts were limited to the food they could eat. On Apollos 15-17 the astronauts had a fruit bar, but that was it: . It was enough to give them a snack if they needed it in their EVAs, none of which lasted more than 7.5 hours. Astronauts ate heavily before they went on their EVAs, there's no way to provide them that food without having to take the suits off.

Another problem arises for water. Astronauts had 32oz pouches for water for the EVAs, but that can't hold a man for 3.125 days. Astronauts drank heavily before they went on EVAs as well so there was water in their system. Experts say 64oz of water should be drank per day, so for 3 days an astronaut would need a 192oz pouch of water (1.5 gal, 5.67L). That weighs 12.5 pounds (5.67 kg). Plus, the astronauts are sweating as they work, so more water would likely be needed. The suit simply couldn't hold that much water.

Another problem is the amount of air and battery power needed. For Apollos 7-14, the suits had 6.5 hours of life support. For A15-A17, it's 7.5 hours. If you live on the Moon for 3 days 3 hours, or 75 hours, you'd need 10X more air and 10X more battery power.

Overall the suit would be immensely heavy and impractical. Astronauts would have gigantic packs, far larger than they already are, making movement basically impossible.

Instead of a separate module attacked to the ship, just make a room that can serve as an airlock and strap it down inside. It doesn't need to be airtight, it doesn't need to run the risk of something being knocked loose by the force of depressurisation. That gives you living space and substantially less in the way of weight to carry and elements to go wrong.

I'm not getting a picture of this well, do you have an illustration? Do you mean something like Voskhod 2 had, with an airlock sticking out for the EVA?

This could easily be knocked loose by depressurization, or if hit by an asteroid.

Also, how would astronauts get to the LM through it? Would they need to pressurize and then depressurize the airlock, or depressurize and then repressurize the CM?

Further, if there's a fault in the LM, that only prevents the moon landing rather than cutting off astronaut living space and resources.

If there's a fault in the CM, though, the astronauts have no living space at all. This is what happened on Apollo 13. Luckily, the astronauts still had a functioning LM they could live in.

By every metric this is preferred.

Tell that to the engineers at the time.

Dude, these are astronauts, are you serious? These people were test pilots. Every day they had to get into a new plane that could, at any moment, kill them (and there was a good chance of that happening). One test pilot was dying every week in the 50s. These people also had to get on top of a rocket with enough fuel that, if something went wrong, an explosion comparable to a small atomic bomb would occur. I'm confident that they were aware of the risk, and I'm also confident that they would accept the risk.

I don't understand this argument. By its very nature, an airlock is part of the ship. It is substantially more secure than a docking port that is literally made to split apart. If something hits it, the LM blows away, most of their living space and possibly the astronauts themselves are knocked away with it.

If something hit the airlock, it'd also blow away too, killing the astronauts.

They had airtight walls and a vessel capable of holding that pressure, mechanisms capable of depressurising and surviving that force, special legs they left behind, hell they even threw in a ladder...

The airtight walls, as I explained above, were necessary because a space suit couldn't keep a man alive for three days. The ladder's mass was negligible, but the ladder was necessary for getting down to the surface, and back into the LM. This is pretty obvious.

The "special legs" I'm assuming means the descent stage. This is also necessary. If you didn't have the descent stage, problems could, and would arise. First, if you only had one stage, and that stage's engine breaks on landing, you won't be getting off of the surface. This actually happened on Apollo 15, but because they had the ascent stage, no worry was needed. A single stage spacecraft would also have to be far larger and carry more propellant (thus being heavier) because it would need to carry things no longer needed, such as used propellant tanks, fuel cells, landing legs, and more. By having two stages, these things don't have to be carried. It's the same reason rockets have multiple stages, to discard excess mass.

Really? You get automatically shiny, triumphant colors, symmetrical designs...
Go behind the scenes at any factory, especially for the manufacture of vehicles. The real mechanisms never look nearly so pretty as those in the space programme, despite the fact the space programme has a hundred times the reasons to be concerned with practicality and to not waste weight and money on style.

The space program was concerned with looks, but they weren't going to let it control the spacecraft's design. Much of the look of the spacecraft is because that's how it had to be. Gold foil? That's used for thermal control and shielding. Octagonal descent stage? Far easier to build than a circle, or other shape, and allows more cargo to be held. Boxy ascent stage? That's simply the outer skin molding around the aluminum hull.
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you will not go to space today.

BillO

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
The computer system alone to facilitate a trip in some imaginary space, would have encompassed 20 of these. No technology was available and still isn't. We see one side of the moon that never changes, it's a projection of light built by God. No one is landing on it, ever !

You've been duped by the evil one...….
No, it wouldn't.  A trip to the moon requires nothing more than Newtons laws of motion and his gravitational theory.  That was not what was hard about it.

You've been duped by yourself...

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »
That is why in over 50 years we haven't been back even to pick up some soil.

Richard Branson outlined his vision for Virgin Galactic’s future back in 2008...guess what? Can't get above the dome.

All BS... NASA hires a few goobers to post here all day. Master, you want I make you go to the moon? I dream of Jeannie....
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
Apollo 8 the astronuts quoted the King James Bible once they realized they too had been compartmentalized and duped into believing they were in space when in fact they too couldn't get above the "firmament" ie dome.

They got even and quoted their GOD...the only God Genesis

William Anders

We are now approaching lunar sunrise, and for all the people back on Earth, the crew of Apollo 8 has a message that we would like to send to you.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.[4]

James Lovell

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day."[4]

Frank Borman

And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

And from the crew of Apollo 8, we close with good night, good luck, a Merry Christmas – and God bless all of you, all of you on the good Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_8_Genesis_reading

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 10:49:29 PM »
That's 3 astronauts - less than 10% of the total Apollo astronaut complement.  Not a high percentage. No indication that the astronauts who are not quoted above shared the sentiments of the three who were quoted.

Nearly?

BillO

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 10:57:35 PM »

Richard Branson outlined his vision for Virgin Galactic’s future back in 2008...guess what? Can't get above the dome.

All BS... NASA hires a few goobers to post here all day. Master, you want I make you go to the moon? I dream of Jeannie....
You picked the wrong gripe.  The computers were simple and up to the task.  There are other things that are far, far more difficult and Branson is just not the guy the get the job done.  There are others enjoying more success, but that still does not mean the task is not immensely difficult.  Even today the computers are not the hardest part.

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 12:56:38 AM »

You picked the wrong gripe.  The computers were simple and up to the task.  There are other things that are far, far more difficult and Branson is just not the guy the get the job done.  There are others enjoying more success, but that still does not mean the task is not immensely difficult.  Even today the computers are not the hardest part.

You really don't expect this lunar hoax to be believed when NASA itself admits it's impossible. I;m not sure what you hope to gain from idiots who have been indoctrinated to a spinning globe? Aren't they all broke now anyway?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
Whereabouts in that vid is the admission that it's "impossible"? Time stamp, please.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »

Why would we need to? Samples of the stuff from six Apollo missions, and a host of unmanned American and Russian missions have been pored over for more than 40 years by geologists the world over.

You can request a sample for yourself if you have the credentials. Here's the online form;

https://curator.jsc.nasa.gov/lunar/sampreq/requests.cfm

Why haven't we been back at all? Money, primarily.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/astronauts-explain-why-nobody-has-visited-the-moon-in-more-than-45-years-%E2%80%94-and-the-reasons-are-depressing/ar-AAA4zcU?li=AA59G2

"A tried-and-true hurdle for any spaceflight program, especially for missions that involve people, is the steep cost.

A law signed in March 2017 by President Donald Trump gives NASA an annual budget of about $19.5 billion, and it may rise to $19.9 billion in 2019.

Either amount sounds like a windfall — until you consider that the total gets split among all of the agency's divisions and ambitious projects: the James Webb Space Telescope, the giant rocket project called Space Launch System, and far-flung missions to the sun, Jupiter, Mars, the Asteroid Belt, the Kuiper Belt, and the edge of the solar system. (By contrast, the US military gets a budget of about $600 billion per year. One project within that budget — the modernization and now expansion of America's nuclear arsenal— may even cost as much as $1.7 trillion over 30 years.)

Plus, NASA's budget is somewhat small relative to its past.

"NASA's portion of the federal budget peaked at 4% in 1965. For the past 40 years it has remained below 1%, and for the last 15 years it has been driving toward 0.4% of the federal budget," Apollo 7 astronaut Walter Cunningham said during a 2015 congressional testimony.

Trump's budget calls for a return to the moon, and then later an orbital visit to Mars. But given the ballooning costs and snowballing delays related to NASA's SLS rocket program, there may not be enough funding to make it to either destination, even if the International Space Station gets defunded early.

A 2005 report by NASA estimated that returning to the moon would cost about $104 billion (which is $133 billion today, with inflation) over about 13 years. The Apollo program cost about $120 billion in today's dollars.

"Manned exploration is the most expensive space venture and, consequently, the most difficult for which to obtain political support," Cunningham said during his testimony, according to Scientific American. "Unless the country, which is Congress here, decided to put more money in it, this is just talk that we're doing here."

Referring to Mars missions and a return to the moon, Cunningham added, "NASA's budget is way too low to do all the things that we've talked about doing here."

Nearly?

Offline nickrulercreator

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »
You really don't expect this lunar hoax to be believed when NASA itself admits it's impossible. I;m not sure what you hope to gain from idiots who have been indoctrinated to a spinning globe? Aren't they all broke now anyway?

Where in this video does NASA say its impossible?

Offline J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2018, 01:57:11 AM »
NASA...yes this is NASA...this is the accomplishment of the human race or was it?

Collins was chewing on fruity bars and not looking at the universe of stars. Duh....made in a studio in Hollywierd.