What is the equinox?
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:12:36 AM »
In another thread it became apparent that there may be some disagreement about what the equinox is.

The equinox is the moment when the sun is directly overhead the equator.

On the equinox, at all places on earth where it is possible to observe sunrise and sunset, the sun rises directly to the east, and sets directly to the west. On all other days the sun rises and sets in some slightly different direction from due east/west.

The length of the day is approximately equal to the length of the night at all points on earth that can observe sunrise and sunset on the equinox.

Does anybody disagree with these statements?

Offline Mark_1984

• View Profile
Re: What is the equinox?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:53:36 AM »
Nope - that's pretty much spot on.  In the round earth theory it's easily explained by the tilt in the earth's axis. 
I don't know what the flat earth theory is, but would love to know.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: What is the equinox?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:01:37 AM »
In another thread it became apparent that there may be some disagreement about what the equinox is.

The equinox is the moment when the sun is directly overhead the equator.

On the equinox, at all places on earth where it is possible to observe sunrise and sunset, the sun rises directly to the east, and sets directly to the west. On all other days the sun rises and sets in some slightly different direction from due east/west.

The length of the day is approximately equal to the length of the night at all points on earth that can observe sunrise and sunset on the equinox.

Does anybody disagree with these statements?

Nope.

The word "equinox"...equi-nox literally means "equal night"...equal amounts of day and night.   In RET, it happens when the axis of rotation of the Earth is at right angles to the direction of the sun.

At that time, the sun is vertically overhead at noon on the equator.

Every part of the Earth gets 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime on the same day.

There are two equinoxes per year - on March 20th and September 22nd...give or take a day because of leap years.

(TECHNICALLY: The equinox is an exact moment - so in truth, there really isn't a PRECISELY equal day and night...they only differ by a matter of a minute or so...so it's close enough for any discussion here.)

There is a nice FET disproof that emerges from this...I'll start a thread for it.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?