Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative maps problems.
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 12:09:13 AM »
Can't see any maps.

This thread needs the round file for sure.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 05:21:39 PM »
Your map images do not appear. You might want to reupload them. I believe I know what you are talking about, but you should fix your images first so that there is no miscommunication.

I see them just fine.
But they are just the common (1)Unipolar (the map on the left) and(2) Bipolar (the map on the right) Projections (of the globe) with all the distortions of sizes, shapes and distances.
The Bipolar seems to have more problems than the Unipolar.
Not true for accurate "flat earth maps", which do not exist.
What is needed is an original "flat earth map" with all the continents in their proper shapes and sizes, with all the distances between them correct.
All of the continents, including Antarctica and Australia, have been surveyed and mapped.
Their shapes and sizes are known and accurate.
Only the globe can show these correctly......Because the earth is a globe and is not a flat disc.

It's funny that we tried to do just that.     Using know distances it is pretty simple to create a map.  If it was possible to lay out the continents on a flat map that is.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
Sorry about the mis-posted image file...I've fixed my original post - this is the correct image:

The point here is to compare compass directions with the pole star.

We know that sailors (not just Toms "untrustworthy murderers") have used both celestial and compass navigation.   The two methods agree fairly well (although not perfectly because the "true" north pole and the "magnetic" north pole aren't perfectly aligned).

But the differences are small.

If that's true - then any map with curved lines of longitude cannot be correct...period.

That means that the map on the right CANNOT be correct.

The map on the left works in the northern hemisphere - but fails HORRIBLY in the south.

The only possible FE map that could resolve both celestial (pole star/southern cross) and compass readings would have lines of longitude with an abrupt kink in them at the equator...and that brings up all sorts of ungodly new problems for FET.

Busted...as usual!

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 01:16:38 PM »
If that's true - then any map with curved lines of longitude cannot be correct...period.

How do you know whether the longitude line you are currently at is pointing North?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
The two methods agree fairly well (although not perfectly because the "true" north pole and the "magnetic" north pole aren't perfectly aligned).
On 3DGeeks impossible magical ball, 500 kilometers is a small, almost insignificant distance.

Hilarious.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »

How do you know whether the longitude line you are currently at is pointing North?

Obviously, lines of latitude and longitude are imaginary map-makers's things.   We normally define them by reference to true north, east and west...relating to the axis of rotation of the Earth.  A degree of latitude or longitude is measured relative to the center of the Earth.

So in FET, the concept is pretty meaningless.   However, what we're talking about here is where the compass points relative to where the pole star (or southern cross method) shows us the poles.

In RET, the magnetic poles wander around a bit over time - but there is (at any given time) a definite position towards which all compasses everywhere in the world point.   The motion of the magnetic poles has been known (and tracked) since around the 1600's - and navigational charts for airplanes and ships are always careful to explain this.

In FET, using the map on the right of the image above is that EITHER the light from Polaris and the Southern Cross stars has to curve (Tom says light doesn't do that) OR the compass has to point toward different places depending on where you are on the surface.  That doesn't match what sailors (and subsequently airmen) have known for hundreds of years.

In FET using the map on the left, produces the expected results in the Northern Hemisphere - but do something crazy in the South.   Beyond the equator - in the southern hemiplane - a compass still points North - but the Southern cross would have to be simultaneously in wildly different places for different viewers in order for it to match what real sailors and airmen see.

If FET is true then the compass needle would have to 'flip' from pointing with "North" towards the Northern (magnetic) Pole to pointing with "South" towards the southern magnetic pole as you crossed the equator.  That doesn't happen - but it must if the compass heading is to be consistent with the direction from celestial navigation.

Neither map works...they are both equally "broken".

Tom may yet tell us that there is some other (as yet unknown) map that will resolve this - but it can't.  You can't simultaneously have the needle point to the magnetic north and toward the magnetic south as it does in reality...and ALSO have it point (with an appropriate error) toward Polaris and the Southern Cross.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline CriticalThinker

• Polite and Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
The two methods agree fairly well (although not perfectly because the "true" north pole and the "magnetic" north pole aren't perfectly aligned).
On 3DGeeks impossible magical ball, 500 kilometers is a small, almost insignificant distance.

Hilarious.

Please explain how it's impossible for the earth to be a ball.  I will accept all forms of peer reviewed scientific literature produced in the last 30 years as evidence of your claim.

Thank you,

CriticalThinker
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur