Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
It is just one more of my "IMHO"'s but maybe Rowbotham just made up all these ideas just for the sake of them.
Since the genreral population of England was far less literate than that of today, and since he was reported to be an excellent speaker, he found he could make money by pesenting his lectures.
Since the general population was none the wiser for it, they might be impressed with this, thinking that he was some kind of a genius in presenting such things as "Earth Not A Globe" that they just bought into his talks without question.

So maybe he wasn't any better or worse than the old snake oil salesman of that time.
But if you read about some of the others of Rowbotham's activities, there is cause to  question his motives and character as being a bit devious..
I did try to read some of the other parts, but I just couldn't stomach it - I guess I'll have another go, but it's very similar to debunking jeranism videos, the completely incorrect information and explanations of the Globe just pile up and up!

geckothegeek

It is just one more of my "IMHO"'s but maybe Rowbotham just made up all these ideas just for the sake of them.
Since the genreral population of England was far less literate than that of today, and since he was reported to be an excellent speaker, he found he could make money by pesenting his lectures.
Since the general population was none the wiser for it, they might be impressed with this, thinking that he was some kind of a genius in presenting such things as "Earth Not A Globe" that they just bought into his talks without question.

So maybe he wasn't any better or worse than the old snake oil salesman of that time.
But if you read about some of the others of Rowbotham's activities, there is cause to  question his motives and character as being a bit devious..
I did try to read some of the other parts, but I just couldn't stomach it - I guess I'll have another go, but it's very similar to debunking jeranism videos, the completely incorrect information and explanations of the Globe just pile up and up!
[/quote)

I am perhaps guilty of over simplification rather  than the deep thinkers on this forum.
But I find -  at least to myself -  that at least two of the greatest flaws in flat earth so-called "theories" and the easiest to debunk - are the subject at hamd "Ships over the horizon reappear when you look at them through a telescope" and of course just the flat earth definition of the horizon itself.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:25:46 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile

But if you read about some of the others   of Rowbotham's activities, there is cause to  question his motives and character as being a bit devious..

Another little bit that is simply a fabrication. Of course not a lot was known of the Antarctic in Rowbotham's time, but to claim these things as facts without that knowledge is simply deceitful!

Quote from: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
Earth is no a Globe CHAPTER VIII.
CAUSE OF DAY AND NIGHT, WINTER AND SUMMER; AND THE LONG ALTERNATIONS OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS AT THE NORTHERN CENTRE.

The whole of these explanations have reference only to the region between the sun and the northern centre. It is evident that in the great encircling oceans of the south, and the numerous islands and parts of continents, which exist beyond that part of the earth where the sun is vertical, cannot have their days and nights, seasons, &c., precisely like those in the northern region. The north is a centre, and the south is that centre radiated or thrown out to a vast oceanic circumference, terminating in circular walls of ice, which form an impenetrable frozen barrier. Hence the phenomena referred to as existing in the north must be considerably modified in the south, For instance, the north being central, the light of the sun advancing and receding, gives long periods of alternate light and darkness at the actual centre; but in the far south, the sun, even when moving in his outer path, can only throw its light to a certain distance, beyond which there must be perpetual darkness. No evidence exists of there being long periods of light and darkness regularly alternating, as in the north. In the north, in summer-time, when the sun is moving in its inner path, the light shines continually for months together over the central region, and rapidly develops numerous forms of animal and vegetable life.
from Earth is no a Globe CHAPTER VIII. CAUSE OF DAY AND NIGHT, WINTER AND SUMMER

Tom you idol has clay feet!

geckothegeek

Here  are two simple ways for FE to prove if the  FE beliefs  of this"horizon" and "sinking ship" are true. This should settle the question once and for all. But I doubt FE would accept the results anyway..

Go down to the sea shore on a clear, calm day with no unusual atmospheric conditions . You don't even have to go to sea aboard a ship, but you can perform the same experiments aboard a ship, or you can do both. Take a telescope, binoculars and/or a camera with a zoom lens or telescope lens for photographic evidence. But then again , there is the problem that FE does not accept photographs as evidence. Please accept my word if you can that there are days that the  sea and sky are perfectly clear with no fog, atmospheric conditions or mirages to interfere with these eperiments.

(1) The horizon
Looking out to sea from the ship or the shore. If all you see in the distance is a blur which fades away at some indefinite distance that should prove the FE statement that there is no horizon to be observed if the earth is flat. Remember, this is on a clear, calm day.....no fog, etc. .

(2) The "sinking ship"
Again looking out to sea from the ship or the shore. Observe a large ship such a container ship, large cruise ship or a large aircraft carrier. When the ship passes out of view if you can restore the ship in its entirety this should prove the FE statement that the earth is flat. It would seem that if you had the proper equipment such as telescopic or zoom lenses, filters and film to eliminate any atmospheric or haze conditions (again you will have to take my word for it that they do exist) the ship would never disappear from view as you increased the magnifying power of the camera, binoculars or telescope, much less ever disappear from view..

These experiments should be performed at low levels of height above the sea.

PS - Perhaps I have erred in using the term "Atmospheric" instead of the FE term of "Atmoplanic" in the above.

Please present the results of these experiments. I have performed them many times myself, but the results of these experiments should come from a FE as evidence and prove of the FE statement that they deal with their belief that the earth is flat from these and other FE beliefs.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:28:03 AM by geckothegeek »

İntikam

Omg i found an interesting drawn explains everything.  :)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:39:05 AM by İntikam »

İntikam

This is another way to explain it by "surface tension".

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile
We weren't talking to you so I'm putting you on my "lack of respect list"!
Goodbye.

Numerous experiments are performed in the text. A lot of them. Are you in denial?

None of the experiments prove this particular phenomenon. At least not from the pages you told me to read.

please quote the exact passage where it can be found. This should be a trivial task if you are correct.

Still waiting...

Six days later, still no reply. Like I said, it doesn't exist.

Offline Robaroni

• View Profile
Where is the edge?
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 11:29:18 PM »
If we have photos of the earth showing it is round do FEer's have photos showing the edge and beyond? Where is the edge, by  the way? Am I close to it? Are there any countries that abut the edge?

Rob

İntikam

Re: Where is the edge?
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »
If we have photos of the earth showing it is round do FEer's have photos showing the edge and beyond? Where is the edge, by  the way? Am I close to it? Are there any countries that abut the edge?

Rob

You should to see a drawing like this:

There is Antarctica instead of the edge.

İntikam

This is my own work.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
This is my own work.

So don't nobody try and steal it!!

Seriously though, this ideas of Intikam's is testable, in more ways than one!  If this illustration is an accurate representation of the world:

A) We should be able to see ships become hidden as they sail away, but then return to visibility on the far side of the depression in the water, for example when this occurs across a narrow section of ocean between the mainland and a nearby island, or even better, across a large lake. 
B) From a ship at sea, the horizon should be higher in the direction nearest land, and lower in the direction to the point farthest from land (or maybe the point above the deepest part of the ocean?)  If the effect is strong enough to push to surface of the ocean down far enough to hide things that aren't that far out to sea, it should be within the measurement range of modern optical instruments.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Robaroni

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »

Rob

OK, this is a hypothetical drawing not a photo. I see someone has asked this elsewhere here so I'm going to that thread.

Rob

İntikam

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »

Rob

OK, this is a hypothetical drawing not a photo. I see someone has asked this elsewhere here so I'm going to that thread.

Rob

I don't know who asked what because some of rounders on my ignore list.

This isn't a photo because there is no photo took the completely earth . The NASA photos are fake. You can find out a working video on my signature.

Offline Woody

• View Profile
This is my own work.

Makes me wonder how I have seen ships appear from the top down and disappear from the bottom up while I was out at sea. 

His drawings suggest I should be able to see further in the middle of the ocean since I will be at the lowest point.  Yet the horizon in my experience remains the same distance at the same observer height.

Offline Robaroni

• View Profile
Here's the problem, in order for your theory to work a massive amount of people along with information gathered over a significantly broad span of time has to be false and worse, deceptive. 
If we accept that premise than we have to accept the premise that there is also a massive amount of dishonesty and deception in the FE community.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

In other words you are just as capable of dishonesty as those you accuse of it and if we accept your premise of deception by RE we have to accept FE deception also.

So now you post a hypothetical drawing of a flat earth. Prove it is not a dishonest deception.

And putting several people on ignore is equivalent to sticking ones head in the sand. I never put anyone on ignore because it's the same as cutting off ones  nose to spite ones face. We never see other perspectives no matter how much they disagree with our beliefs. Or, my mind is made up, try not to confuse me with facts.

R

Offline model 29

• View Profile
This is my own work.

Seriously though, this ideas of Intikam's is testable, in more ways than one!  If this illustration is an accurate representation of the world:

A) We should be able to see ships become hidden as they sail away, but then return to visibility on the far side of the depression in the water, for example when this occurs across a narrow section of ocean between the mainland and a nearby island, or even better, across a large lake. 
B) From a ship at sea, the horizon should be higher in the direction nearest land, and lower in the direction to the point farthest from land (or maybe the point above the deepest part of the ocean?)  If the effect is strong enough to push to surface of the ocean down far enough to hide things that aren't that far out to sea, it should be within the measurement range of modern optical instruments.
C) The crews of ships/boats might also notice an increase in speed as they head 'downhill' toward the middle of the body of water and a decrease in speed as they head 'uphill' toward land.

geckothegeek

This is my own work.

C) The crews of ships/boats might also notice an increase in speed as they head 'downhill' toward the middle of the body of water and a decrease in speed as they head 'uphill' toward land.

From what I have observed from a lot  of stuff like this it seems to me that some flat earthers have no sense of reality.
Looking back at my old navy days if this website had been around then the officers and enlisted men would have read it for posts like intikam's to give them something to laugh about every day. Service in the navy does have its negative points but lack of reality is not one of them. It seems a lot of flat earthers have never been to sea....Or they are completely "at sea".

(C) It looks like going across the ocean would be like riding on a roller-coaster !   LOL.
It also looks like....For instance, crossing the Pacific Ocean . When you got to the mid point of the ocean on your journey you would get to that "deepest point in the ocean" and you would be looking up at a huge "wall of water" all around....in front and behind your ship. It would be like "being in a  hollow".
But wait a minute....I thought there was no such thing as the horizon on a flat earth as we know it on  a round earth - a distinct line where sea and sky meet .  But on a flat earth it is "an indistinct blur that fades away in the distance." Intikam's drawing seems to go against this....Or maybe I'm just missing it.

Just about everything that intikam has posted is simply not the way it really is ! LOL

Every time I read some of the stuff from flat earthers like this I am more convinced that there is more truth than fiction in the first line of my signature line. LOL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:56:10 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline rabinoz

• View Profile

Just about everything that intikam has posted is simply not the way it really is ! LOL

Every time I read some of the stuff from flat earthers like this I am more convinced that there is more truth than fiction in the first line of my signature line. LOL

You could add a bit to your signature.
Go outside, look at a sunrise, see a sunset, the moon and stars in awe and wonder!
"Come to this website for flat earth entertainment
Go to this website for round earth education."

Then I saw İntikam's "Astronomy debunk: The stars are not exist !" and almost felt sickened! How can any rational person say that - look up!

<< added last line in disgust! >>
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:18:19 PM by rabinoz »

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile

This is... the most amazing thing I've seen this week.  I think we should all get together to encourage Initkam to start a Kickstarter making science textbooks.  Furthermore, based on the strength of this new science that Initkam has brought forth, we should all begin a letter writing campaign to persuade the future Trump-Palin administration to appoint Initkam as head of the National Science Foundation.